I'd be happy to drop in a few spare electrons for my favorite kiosks
Old May 22, 2008, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by crhptic
I'd be happy to drop in a few spare electrons for my favorite kiosks
What's her name?
Old May 22, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gld Lifetime, EK
Originally Posted by 787
At most places I’m out the door before they would even have a chance to see what the tip was. So I guess they would just need to chase me down in the parking lot to inquire why they got stiffed.
Slightly OT - Many years ago, on a cold January afternoon, a waiter at a Chinese restaurant in Cambridge, MA, chased me down the street to complain that I left a 10% tip instead of a 15% tip ... on a meal that did not cost more than $20 if I recall correctly.
Old May 22, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
What's her name?
How can you tell that the kiosks are female?
Old May 22, 2008, 1:31 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by erik123
In fact - there are many restaurants where tips are shared amongst all staff (not including managers).
Servers generally have to tip out bartenders, food runners, and bus boys. They rarely tip out cooks so this is not so common. A Hibachi place would be an exception to this rule.

Regardless it's classless to not tip your server if your food was not prepared to your liking or the place didn't take a credit card. Now if you had complained to the server and he did nothing to correct the situation then maybe you should lessen his tip. Regardless the IRS looks for them to claim tips on their total sales if you tipped them or not. So the OP really screwed the server.
Old May 22, 2008, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Damn right. Just to emphasize it a little more, that's EVERY CONTROL!!!!!!!

Seriously, whether it be Chili's, Tavern on the Green or your local diner, part of a server's job is to at least take a quick peek at the plate of food he/she is about to bring to you and be sure it's:

A) What you ordered (including any way you may have modified the menu)

and

B) Cooked properly

There's different tolerance levels for B, of course, but if I'm at Chili's and my chicken quesadilla is obviously burned, it's the server's duty to send it back before it ever leaves the kitchen. Then go to the table and attempt to make me believe it was the kitchen's fault.
What if your server isn't the one that brought out your food. Especially at places like Chili's where managers and other servers run out food a lot. A lot of good restaurants are this way as well. Would your rather the food sit under the lamp until the server gets a second to make it to the back to run your food to you?
Old May 22, 2008, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by fancynick
I'm from Germany and haven't been to the USA in a while, but it seems to me that working as a waiter in an expensive US restaurant is a pretty well-paid job given the percentage of tips (and considering that very little formal education/training is needed). If I eat a three course meal, the waiter basically has to do the same amount of work, regardless of whether the food costs 30$ or 100$. Of course, I expect a better/more experienced service at the 100$ place.
Well one thing to consider:

Places that charge $100/plate etc. generally do not have a quick turn of the table. Meaning people sit there longer and the dining experience is longer. Also at these types of establishments there are more people to tip out that help with your service experience. So yes people at these places do make more $ - however it's not an increase that's equal to the difference of the cost of the restaurant.
Old May 22, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by jfulcher
What if your server isn't the one that brought out your food. Especially at places like Chili's where managers and other servers run out food a lot. A lot of good restaurants are this way as well. Would your rather the food sit under the lamp until the server gets a second to make it to the back to run your food to you?
C'mon now...if a manager or other server can read enough to figure out where to deliver the food, they can certainly read enough to verify the accuracy of the order.
Old May 22, 2008, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
I'm not a big fan of the $2.13 + tips policy that most restaurants use in the US - unless it is unionized, in which case I know of waiters who get a base pay closer to $8/hr plus tips.

Waiters also do much more than just serve food. At many places, they arrive an hour or two before the restaurant opens and they spend a couple hours cleaning tables, setting silverware, etc. at $2.13 / hr. I don't think this is right - they may be tipped employees - but they should be earning more than $2.13/hr when they do these duties.

At closing, the wait staff often spends one or two hours at some restaurants cleaning tables, re-filling the salt/pepper/ketchup, cleaning the floors, getting silverware ready for the next day, etc., at $2.13/hr. I'd much prefer a system where wait staff earns a bit more.

Last, but not least, it seems tip jars are appearing everywhere these days. Only a matter of time until we see tip jars on airplanes and at the check-in counters. Before you know it, the automated check-in kiosks will have tip jars

I'd be interested in knowing where this happened as well. I could see it in some big cities or at certain types of restaurants, but with some exceptions, I'd pretty much expect most places to take plastic.
According to labor laws I believe the restaurant is supposed to pay minimum wage for any activities done outside of the restaurant doing business. The places I worked at in college paid more during opening and closing side work times. We had to punch out/in under a different code during those duties.
Old May 22, 2008, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2
C'mon now...if a manager or other server can read enough to figure out where to deliver the food, they can certainly read enough to verify the accuracy of the order.
Still not fair to take it out on your server something wasn't brought out correct that they didn't bring out themselves.
Old May 22, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think in the last 15 years, I got caught once at a restaurant where I expected to pay with a CC and they only took cash. A small Italian joint for lunch on Spring street in SOHO. When the bill was presented, I excused myself, apologized to my customers and walked a block or two to the first ATM I could find. On return I paid the bill and tipped the waiter ~15-20%. I didn't make a fuss or stiff anyone, I did however never return and asked at the next few places that I dined with if they indeed did take CC's.
Old May 22, 2008, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Still not fair to take it out on your server something wasn't brought out correct that they didn't bring out themselves
You're right, a bit unfair to punish the server, only considering that they immediately came to my table to check that everything is okay after someone else brought the food.

It should not be an issue that they come immediately. If someone else brought the food, that means they're in the immediate vicinity taking another order or getting drinks, or something to the effect that they'll be by soon to check. If they don't, then they don't care about me, so I don't care about them.
Old May 23, 2008, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The number of places in NYC that do not take CCs or which only take AmEx is actually pretty significant, and they range from "hole in the wall" to "pretty nice" (plus Luger's). In EVERY one of them (save Luger's) I've seen a note on the menu - usually at the bottom of each page - indicating the payment policy because they know it isn't what most people are expecting.

As for the mandatory tip thing, there's now one restaurant that I used to go to pretty regularly that has added a mandatory tip for ALL parties. I almost got to the point that we were going to be negotiating that aspect of the bill during my last meal there, but a strong showing from the waitress towards the end of the meal saved me that trouble. And at least they note that there is an included tip on the CC slip, leaving space for an additional tip as well.
Old May 23, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by Sprocket
Here in Quebec (and one other province I think), the server's income tax bill is directly tied to their sales by tracking their Social Insurance Number. Therefore if you don't tip, you are actually making them pay from *their own pocket* to serve you.
I know in BC, this is an audit method used by CRA.

Every server must declare every dollar they earn by tip Have reasonable documenation to prove their income. I used to advise clients to keep a daytimer or calendar with the amount of tips they earn per shift so they can declare it on their taxes.

When servers do not do their due dillegence, they have an auditor do an average mean per meal.
Old May 24, 2008, 5:05 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Why can't US restaurants start the trend of including a 10% service charge? It works well enough in other parts of the world. So backwards we are here. We tip based on basic service that we're in theory already paying for - part of the cost is supposed to cover service! Like tip jars - why should I tip someone who scooped me an ice cream cone when that's what they're already paid to do? Did I get an extra large scoop or a second scoop free?

Aren't tips supposed to be for excellent service generally above and beyond? It's not like the waiter is a hotel concierge who got me tickets to a sold-out show. Pay the staff a livable wage, tack on a 10% service fee and leave me alone. I don't like feeling obligated to tip a person who simply performed the minimum requirements and I will add another 5% to 10% if the service was truly exceptional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.