Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Pulled Pork" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: Various
Cooks/Chef's tip to shredding pork:

While the pork is still warm, use two forks turned over and dig/scrape by pulling the forks in opposite directions the meat should shred with ease. Beats using your hands and trying to tear it up in pieces. Works well for brisket, Kalua pig/pork etc. as well.
Old May 19, 2008, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by willie--wonka
I grew up in Memphis, so this is the standard BBQ(pulled pork)on a bun recipe.
No measurements, but you'll get the idea.
Fine shred 1 head cabbage and 3-5 carrots.
Mix in a coffee cup(when I was a kid, the cook used an old, heavy china diner cup) about 1/2 cup Hellman's or Best Foods(in Texas) mayo. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, salt to taste, and enough white vinegar to approximate the liquidity of heavy cream. Adjust to your taste, but it should be creamy with a definite tang. Dress the vegetables and refrigerate for a couple of hours, turning a couple of times to saturate everything.
Another Memphis boy here. Unfortunately, my family moved when I was a baby, but we took our love for BBQ and slaw. I concur with WW's recipe but my mother also added mustard to the mix and celery seeds. The key, of course, it to let it rest for a couple of hours. Don't make it too wet or when you come back later it will be soup.

And it is wonderful on top of the sandwich.

PS - Yea, I know, with a name like this I'm talking Memphis BBQ and pulled porK?
Old May 19, 2008, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by ilgoldstein

PS - Yea, I know, with a name like this I'm talking Memphis BBQ and pulled porK?

Here in SoFla, not that rare
Old May 19, 2008, 9:02 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Steph3n
..........(we aren't talking about canning here)

Outside of a factory, I have never seen anybody can anything. They may put things in jars but never in a sealed can
Old May 19, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
If it's in a jar... Anything after that will taste GREAT!

JP
Originally Posted by Oxb
Outside of a factory, I have never seen anybody can anything. They may put things in jars but never in a sealed can
Old May 19, 2008, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok you got me, I don't know why they call 'jarring' canning. there are some INCREDIBLE things that can be done with home JARRED foods.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It's the same basic principle. Pasteurize the food in the container.

JP
ok you got me, I don't know why they call 'jarring' canning. there are some INCREDIBLE things that can be done with home JARRED foods.
Old May 19, 2008, 3:33 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by deubster
...I know they like to use a thin, vinegary-sweet sauce that's foreign around here...
You can buy this Carolina-style sauce at HEB now.

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near it, but if you're looking to go that direction anyway...

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old May 19, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I like a creamy(mayo thinned with sour cream)mustardy(good hot dijon)sweet(sugar)slaw dressed with celery seed and fresh ground black pepper on my BBQ sandwich.
No carotts/pickles in the slaw-you can ad pickle slices to the sandwich if you like.
Old May 19, 2008, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by scoow
Ooo... ick, blah, icky.
Sorry, I grew up in the south & know exactly what you are describing. Personally, I can't stand it. I much prefer a thicker, tomato-based, smokey-sweet sauce (KC style?).
You are a heretic, but I can forgive you. Please don't come anywhere near my pulled pork BBQ, though. That type of sauce is OK for ribs. (In Middle TN, we lean toward North Carolina-style and don't generally do ribs; "Barbecue" and "ribs" are two different things.)

Originally Posted by ilgoldstein
Does anyone in Memphis keep Kosher, anyway?

The way I was raised, nothing but meat and sauce went on the sandwich. Slaw was for eating on the side. I wasn't a slaw fan so I generally went with (baked) beans. Putting all that stuff on the sandwich itself is an invention of Yankees who start BBQ restaurants without knowing anything about how it's done in the South and call their places things like "Tennessee's". (This exists in Boston. It's like nothing I ever had in TN. That said, one of my favorite BBQ places outside the South is or was in East Boston--Uncle Pete's. Pete is Italian, from MA originally, and Mrs. Pete is Vietnamese; they make pretty good BBQ and some great slaw. But I digress.)

Generally pulled pork is just that, pulled, but there are some good places around Nashville that also do chopped--Center Point BBQ in Hendersonville is one; they do either and are well-respected around town.

Last edited by BNA_flyer; May 20, 2008 at 10:20 am
Old May 19, 2008, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just eat some good Texas Brisket!
Old May 19, 2008, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Just eat some good Texas Brisket!
Next week. Trust me, I'm serious about my brisket. Great Texas brisket: Smitty's, Black's, & Kreuz's in Lockhart, City Market in Luling, Cooper's in Llano, Louie Mueller's in Taylor, and deubster's in Lubbock! Being 350 miles away from Lockhart matters not, because I have a large pile of Central Texas post oak in the back yard.

I'm rather pleased with our first smoked pork butt. I fork shredded it all last night. The roast had one bone that didn't look all that large after cooking. All fat and connective tissues were completely gone - distributed through the meat and into the water pan. The 6.5 lb roast filled a two quart tub, after our dinner (four piled-on sandwiches). We pulled the tub out of the fridge today and just nibbled on the cold bits. Very, very tasty! Interior pieces (no crusty bits) have the consistency of good, moist Turkey thigh meat.
Old May 19, 2008, 8:12 pm

Actually, there were a lot of old orthodox congregations in Memphis. Most have moved out to Germantown.
Old May 19, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
(In Middle TN, we lean toward North Carolina-style and don't generally do ribs; "Barbecue" and "ribs" are two different things.)
At least we agree on this. Growing up, BBQ was pulled pork. Ribs are ribs.

Then I moved to STL where BBQ refers not only to smoked meat, but anything cooked on a grill. "To BBQ" means to grill... burgers, brats, ribs and often something referred to as a pork steak (which is then liberally doused with BBQ sauce).
Old May 19, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scoow
At least we agree on this. Growing up, BBQ was pulled pork. Ribs are ribs.

Then I moved to STL where BBQ refers not only to smoked meat, but anything cooked on a grill. "To BBQ" means to grill... burgers, brats, ribs and often something referred to as a pork steak (which is then liberally doused with BBQ sauce).
BBQ is NOT just pork, there is brisket as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.