Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Best Finds

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Wow... less than $100 for Dom is a great deal. What vintage...?
2000 vintage, which I love.
Old May 9, 2009, 4:01 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by justforfun

Wow... less than $100 for Dom is a great deal. What vintage...?
2000 vintage, which I love.
2000 is drinking reasonably well and more importantly is a good vintage to buy at duty free.
Old May 9, 2009, 4:02 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

BTW.... SJU = San Juan de Puerto Rico...?
Old May 9, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold

2000 is drinking reasonably well and more importantly is a good vintage to buy at duty free.
Good thing that I bought 4 bottles!

And yes, SJU=San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:25 am

Were they in a climate conrolled area or just on the shelves.....?
Old May 11, 2009, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Updated; please add your own! Investigate the arbitrage possibilities of Penfolds Grange 2004 (or any other great vintages like 1990...)
(always underpriced in UK, overpriced in Oz and way overpriced in China )
Old May 11, 2009, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Please PM if you would like to suggest new content or structure to show current Duty Free prices. How about a link to a Wiki? I can alternatively attach an excel sheet.

FYI I've added a Penfolds Grange 2004 (google news) link on the index.

Hilarious review here. [WA Today]

(Yeah, I'd love a bottle for my 40th, coming up in around 18mths...^)
Old May 12, 2009, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Updated; please add your own! Investigate the arbitrage possibilities of Penfolds Grange 2004 (or any other great vintages like 1990...)
(always underpriced in UK, overpriced in Oz and way overpriced in China )
Whats the average price difference between Oz and the UK for a bottle of Grange?
Old May 13, 2009, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whats the average price difference between Oz and the UK for a bottle of Grange?
I can't quote an average price but here's an extreme example:
Tesco introduces £100 bottle of wine [2007 article]
£100 = AUD$199 according to xe.com. right now.

A quick google of Australian Grange 1999 prices brought up this leisure/collector article from a local business publication:
Tasting Grange
Cheapest shop price AUD$500 (recent Grange 1999 auction price $330).

Thus a Tesco £100 (AUD$199) Grange 1999 is 40% off the recent auction sale price of the same win in Australia.
It is 60% off the AUD$500 supposed shop price.

A worthwhile saving, if you can take care of (or enjoy while in the UK) the Aussie icon.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:12 pm

Wow..... some price difference...
Old May 22, 2009, 12:41 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SunLover
I also shop JWB as my de-facto price indicator. Transited TPE recently and they were having a 35% off sale:

750ml = $110usd
1Liter = $150usd

I went for the 1L because of the GWP, which was a really nice blue leather gym bag with Johnnie Walker Blue in stencle on the front. ^ Name brand US cigarettes were $13usd on my Eva Air flights, and slightly cheaper in the DFS.

Can I move there...

SunLover
Saw something similar in NRT about a month ago (4/23). Picked up a bottle of JWBlue (750mL for 11,000 Yen - about $114 USD at the time. Mine came with a black valet/mini-duffel bag with a little metal JW logo at the bottom corner.

(The last time I bought JWBlue in TPE, I had it confiscated by security at NRT since I didn't realise you had to pass another security checkpoint even though I was simply connecting from an intl flight to another intl flight. Thankfully, the Admiral's Club was willing to work their magic for me and reunited me with my whisky at ORD. ^)
Old May 25, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by SunLover
I also shop JWB as my de-facto price indicator. Transited TPE recently and they were having a 35% off sale:

750ml = $110usd
1Liter = $150usd
As of a Apr. 25th, there was a promotion at TPE. JWB for $150, plus a free grey rolled carry on and 1 x 200ML mini bottle of JWB. Quite a nice bonus. It also included free engaving. They did say the quantity of those 200ML bottles were limited. There is a dedicated consignment for JW at the corner by the gates; the engraving machine is located there (if you turn right after Immigration, at the end where it splits into a T - may have more than one location, I did not roam the whole terminal to find out).

I wound up buying 2 x 1000ML bottles; had one engraved for a gift. They were also nice enough to present me some nice JWB blank cards and a nice sturdy JWB heavy paper stock bag. It made for a real nice gift presentation. And now I also have those cool little mini bottles to give as gifts.

Originally Posted by JY1024
(The last time I bought JWBlue in TPE, I had it confiscated by security at NRT since I didn't realise you had to pass another security checkpoint even though I was simply connecting from an intl flight to another intl flight. Thankfully, the Admiral's Club was willing to work their magic for me and reunited me with my whisky at ORD. ^)
The sales lady at the JW store almost dropped her jaw because her colleague was ready to etch/engrave the bottle... she asked right before starting the process if I was going straight to the US; I said, "No, transit through NRT." That put a dampner on the whole process. She emphatically insisted that I could/should not buy it because of NRT screening. I realized this to be true, so I ran to my gate, asked the NH agent if I could gate check it and luckily was able to do so. Ran back over to the JW store and gave them the OK.

Spent most of my "lounge" time exercising between the gates, but in the end, it worked out OK.
Old May 25, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Great story - well done!

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
As of a Apr. 25th, there was a promotion at TPE. JWB for $150, plus a free grey rolled carry on and 1 x 200ML mini bottle of JWB. Quite a nice bonus. It also included free engaving. They did say the quantity of those 200ML bottles were limited.

...I wound up buying 2 x 1000ML bottles; had one engraved for a gift.
...some nice JWB blank cards and a nice sturdy JWB heavy paper stock bag. It made for a real nice gift presentation. And now I also have those cool little mini bottles to give as gifts.

..Spent most of my "lounge" time exercising between the gates, but in the end, it worked out OK.
Thanks so much for the report of your JWB adventure!
Those 200ml bottles are a great size for taking with you.
I love giving this one as a gift (albeit the JWB'lack', not JWBl'ooh!').

I hope you can enjoy some of the remaining 200ml bottle yourself, or share it with a gift recipient. How nice would it be to enjoy on a balcony of a waterfront or over-water suite.

I hope that other FTers are aware and able to share in this promo and similar ones. It seems there is quite a bit of promo activity on JWB in N. Asia. ^

Thanks again for sharing on the thread.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Thanks so much for the report of your JWB adventure!
Those 200ml bottles are a great size for taking with you.
I love giving this one as a gift (albeit the JWB'lack', not JWBl'ooh!').

I hope you can enjoy some of the remaining 200ml bottle yourself, or share it with a gift recipient. How nice would it be to enjoy on a balcony of a waterfront or over-water suite.

I hope that other FTers are aware and able to share in this promo and similar ones. It seems there is quite a bit of promo activity on JWB in N. Asia. ^

Thanks again for sharing on the thread.
Haha... I just realized JWB could also be Black. Now I kind of sound snobbish thinking there can only Blue. Really, prior to the tasting there, I hadn't even had Gold or Green! The "Blues" are currently sitting pretty in the cabinet.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[*]Singapore SQ DF:
- The Macallan, 700ml: $99 (S$135)

Maybe cruises are the best source for drinks deals.
i presume 18YO? retail ~ $150. 25YO retail ~ $500.

seabourn has louis xiii for $40/oz. not sure if hebridean or nomade have similar offerings. no one else does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.