Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Originally Posted by PFKMan23
So somewhat back on topic, anyone have any ideas for good fish and chips in the SF Bay Area?
The Codmother, a stand right by the F-Market turnaround at Beach. Mmm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:34 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
In St. Augustine, Florida? Say WHAT?

Yep. IMO, the absolute BEST I ever had was at a British Pub in St. Augustine, Florida.
The Bird that runs the place is VERY British, and you'll know that the minute you meet her.
Her Fish and Chips are right out of Piccadilly Square. Heart Attack On A Platter, but super delicious and deep fried in some form of animal fat.
Delicious and sooo bad for you!
Try her Scotch eggs too (NOT SCOTTISH EGGS, YOU TWIT! SCOTCH EGGS!

King's Head British Pub
St. Augustine, Fl

Awesome. Stop in, say hello Govnah' to all the blokes, and have a pint of Speckled Hen. You won't be sorry!

PS, I think they are closed Monday and Tuesday. Call them before you stop in to make sure.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:50 am

Newick's

Newick's Resturant, Newington, New Hampshire USA

Well worth the trip
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I've found some of the best fish and chips at Catholic Church fish frys during Lent. Although, it's usually bring your own malt vinegar.

I do... I always thought it was odd until I tried it a few years ago. Now, I won't order fish and chips unless they have malt vinegar.

Thanks everyone, now I'm craving fish and chips.
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
I for one am very impressed that you keep a bottle of malt vinegar handy. Do you mean that you travel with a bottle of malt vinegar? Only a true F&C Officionado would do that.
Originally Posted by kipper
I've threatened to bring my own bottle of malt vinegar.
It seems to be a Canadian thing, but white vinegar is the preferred choice over malt on chips/French fries.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:34 pm

Dublin Square - Cherry Hill, NJ

cripsy beer battered cod and thick cut steak fries, it's great.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by dioxide45
It seems to be a Canadian thing, but white vinegar is the preferred choice over malt on chips/French fries.
I don't think I'd care for that much.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:53 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My favourite is the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society's Lenten Fish Fry. Stonington is home of the last fishing fleet in CT, so the fish is really fresh and they use an ultralight batter that you can taste the fish through. As Stonington is also famous for sea scallops, I recommend the fish & scallop combo

Some other favourites for the rest of the year (mostly during the summer season) are Costello's in Noank, Evelyn's in Tiverton, Cove Fish market in Mystic and Sea Swirl in Mystic. Unfortunately most of these shacks are not 100% dependable as it really depends on who's in the kitchen and who made that batch of batter.

Further north along the coast my favourite in the elbow of the Cape is Sesuit Harbour Cafe. It has amazing water views and is located behind the Dennis Yacht Club.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tcl
My favourite is the Portuguese Holy Ghost Society's Lenten Fish Fry. Stonington is home of the last fishing fleet in CT, so the fish is really fresh and they use an ultralight batter that you can taste the fish through. As Stonington is also famous for sea scallops, I recommend the fish & scallop combo

Some other favourites for the rest of the year (mostly during the summer season) are Costello's in Noank, Evelyn's in Tiverton, Cove Fish market in Mystic and Sea Swirl in Mystic. Unfortunately most of these shacks are not 100% dependable as it really depends on who's in the kitchen and who made that batch of batter.
I'll be in New Haven to taste for myself the often hyped New Haven pizza, looks like Stonington is just over an hour from New Haven. Are there fish n chip places in Stonington besides the Lenten fish fry? or should I just go to Mystic (which is closer to New Haven) and try one of the two places you mentioned?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anybody tried A Salt & A Battery in New York (West Village)?

I found it as true as it could get to a british fish&chips..
Of course the chap running the place is british...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:52 am

Cod is good, Haddock is better, (H*ll, I'd eat my old sneakers if they were deep fried) but the best F&C is made with Halibut. Try is and I bet you'll agree. wj
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Just had some fantastic Wahoo F&C's at Rob's Good Times Grill in Lihue (Kauai).
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I am a Brit living in the US and often try the Fish and Chips at places I go in the US. So I feel qualified to pass an opinion. In general, NY, MA, FL, AS, WA are the best states that serve fish and chips. Some places in Florida in particular really are outstanding.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:20 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'll be in New Haven to taste for myself the often hyped New Haven pizza, looks like Stonington is just over an hour from New Haven. Are there fish n chip places in Stonington besides the Lenten fish fry? or should I just go to Mystic (which is closer to New Haven) and try one of the two places you mentioned?
Cove Fish Market is the only place open year round, if you get a choice of fish get the cod if you like meaty fish, the flounder will be thin and very local. Mystic and Stonington are only 10mins apart on Rte1. If you can, the Lenten Fish Fry is definitely something to try. I think they also have a fall Fish Fry fundraiser from mid-October until the week before Thanksgiving.

Closer west is Lenny's in Branford (not Lenny & Joe's Fish Tale in Westbrook which is also good but a different establishment). I hesitate to recommend The Clam Castle (right across Rte 1 from Lenny & Joe's Fish tale) as outside of summer it's even more unreliable than usual.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United
If you are in Portland, OR, try the Moon and Sixpence, an English pub. Or if you make it to Cannon Beach, Ecola Fish Restaurant (the best, fresh caught!)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
As a Brit living in the US I have to say it's all about the chips. I mean, you can't bugger the fish up - it needs to be done properly, but there are far, far more places around that can do great fish but then pay no attention to the chips.

So far I have found a handful of places in the US that serve proper British-chip-shop-style chips:

A Salt & Battery, Greenwich Village
Chip Shop, Brooklyn (2 locations)
Mac's Fish & Chip Shop, Santa Barbara
(Amazingly...) Raglan Road, Downtown Disney, Orlando

Untested, but I have heard good reports, is the following chippy opened up by a British couple in VT:

Li'l Britain Chip Shop
, Bennington, VT

I'm always sceptical of British style pubs in the US, as it's fairly certain the most will not invest sufficiently in the correct frying set-up for proper chips (and 99.9% certain that they won't serve cask ale - drink keg British beer at your peril), but there are two exceptions in my list above so I'm eager to find more. The best guarantee, of course, is the golden moment when you find an actual chip shop, with fryers on display and you can see the crispy gorgeousness afoot before you purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.