Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They don't take Amex -- What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by msp3
Pull out Visa Infinite, hit them with the highest possible interchange fees because they deserve it
This is the one that kills me, because when they say no Amex, my Visa is an Infinite (admittedly forced upon me by my issuer, which got Visa and MC into some hot water) - and so they aren't really coming out ahead. They irritate a customer and end up paying high interchange anyway.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and dont many reward credit cards have high interchange?

Originally Posted by N1120A
They are both false advertising, especially the door sign.

I don't understand why more places don't take advantage of Shop Small.
obviously agree re door sign, wallet isnt really advertising

amex advertising getting million(s) to start accepting
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:37 pm

no biggie, used to no amex establishments

as amex still not 100% in asia.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
That's what I do!

If they don't take AmEx and it's really inconvenient to walk out and go to another shop that takes Amex:
  • Keep my order value to the minimum and lowest margin items (no drinks, no extras, etc..)
  • Use the most premium (Mastercard World Elite or Visa Infinite) card in my wallet, handing the card in such a way that the owner/manager can most likely see that it's a premium card.
  • Leave a negative comment/review on Yelp/Facebook, noting the fact that they don't accept AmEx
  • Report the business to AmEx at http://takeamex.ca so that they can engage the restaurant/shop about its non-acceptance of AmEx cards.
Wow, passive aggressive indeed. Note that the manager couldn't care less about any of your premium cards, even if on the off chance he noticed it.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by grumbler
They irritate a customer and end up paying high interchange anyway.
That really depends on their processing. A significant number of smaller businesses pay the same regardless of the kind of card they run (for example, every single business that uses Square), so switching to a supposedly "cheaper" card likely won't help them. On the other hand, those types of places generally accept AmEx anyway since it likely came with whatever service they went with.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:04 pm

That's what I do!

If they don't take AmEx and it's really inconvenient to walk out and go to another shop that takes Amex:

• Keep my order value to the minimum and lowest margin items (no drinks, no extras, etc..)
  • Use the most premium (Mastercard World Elite or Visa Infinite) card in my wallet, handing the card in such a way that the owner/manager can most likely see that it's a premium card.
  • Leave a negative comment/review on Yelp/Facebook, noting the fact that they don't accept AmEx
  • Report the business to AmEx at http://takeamex.ca so that they can engage the restaurant/shop about its non-acceptance of AmEx cards.
I cannot imagine being out to dinner, and deciding to get the bare minimum as far as drinks and extras, because I couldn't pay with my American Express. Seriously, that's just goofy.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Was anyone else reminded of this series if Visa ads from the 1990s:

"At .... they .... but they don't take American Express."

Interesting to see the older thread bumped. I rarely use my Amex anymore (for the prior couple of years it only came out for Costco, and now of course they're off that.)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:05 pm

I've never really felt entitled to having shops or restaurants accept American Express. In Europe, it tends to be either fast food, pricey, or tourist oriented places that accept them. But rarely places that locals eat out at regularly.

Even in San Francisco I've run into the same situation many times - acceptance of Visa/MC but not Amex. I guess this will start to change as Square gets more market share. So I've never expected Amex acceptance, except at hotels (I don't think there's ever been a time where that wasn't an option). And many small predominantly Asian run restaurants only accept cash. I'm certainly willing to pay cash for a good, cheap banh mi for $4-5, or Pho for $10, but not for anything over $20.

If a retailer doesn't accept Amex, I pay usually pay using my HSBC Premier MC when overseas as it has contactless, to avoid the embarrassment of signing the receipt ("what, in the US they still don't use a PIN??"). In the US I usually use my Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
AStarr likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Not surprisingly, no establishment on my recent visit to Cornwall took Amex. What amused me most was the shop where I bought my lunches. Clearly they were catering to the London crowd but still marvelled whenever anyone used contactless (ie everyone), as if it were some new invention.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
They don't take take AMEX ? Give your valuable business to places that welcome AMEX cardholders!

Canada: https://maps.americanexpress.com/ca/cards-welcome

Australia: https://maps.americanexpress.com/AUShopSmall

UK: https://maps.americanexpress.com/gb/shop-small/

USA: https://map.americanexpress.com/us/s...hop-small/maps
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
If they don't take AMEX I simply go somewhere else, unless I am socially obligated to dine there (group function, etc).

If you're dealing with an owner or manager you can politely explain that AMEX cardholders spend about 30% more per ticket and that your dinner of $500 could have covered XXXXX of interchange fees quite easily.

A lot of business owners are plain stupid.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777
If they don't take AMEX I simply go somewhere else, unless I am socially obligated to dine there (group function, etc).

If you're dealing with an owner or manager you can politely explain that AMEX cardholders spend about 30% more per ticket and that your dinner of $500 could have covered XXXXX of interchange fees quite easily.

A lot of business owners are plain stupid.
fascinating that you’re so strongly attached to a credit card brand that you’d obnoxiously cite statistics to a business owner and presume to tell them how to run their shop based on your n of 1. Further that you’d change your dining habits solely because of it.
darthbimmer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
If they complain about the interchange fee, I tell them that they could use Square only charges 2.65% for all cards including AMEX
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
If they complain about the interchange fee, I tell them that they could use Square only charges 2.65% for all cards including AMEX
If a business cares that much about swipe fees, even Square would be too expensive for them. Not to mention that Square isn't too great of a solution for table service restaurants in general (which is why you see restaurant-specific POSes more often than not).
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Ever heard the term......."too busy tripping over dollar bills while trying to pick up nickels" ?

It explains the position of this kind of business owner perfectly. As a former succesfull small business owner I would not turn down profitable transactions because of a 1-2% difference in CC interchange fees. That is just plain stupid. Let's alienate a client base over 1-2% when the transaction is profitable.

AMEX is a great product and I've been a member since 1985. Annual spend $120K all personal.

If any business owner has issues with $10 or $20K of fees they should look at the amount of profit generated by those fees and think again about how much they are willing to lose.

I am in Rio de Janeiro right now where everyone takes AMEX........even the roving popsicle/beer vendors walking the beach.

Sorry you find the truth obnoxious........It was not my intent to personally offend anyone. This entire website is about changing habits to maximize benefits.

Last edited by KDS777; Sep 30, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.