They don't take Amex -- What do you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They don't take Amex -- What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I really just don't care that much to be honest. I'm there to pay for what I want. The rewards for how I pay are extra for doing an exchange of business that I'm going to do one way or another.

I live in a part of Europe where most places do not accept American Express. I focus more on can I pay for something at all with the means of payment that I have on hand than "can I pay with American Express" these days. The fun situation is when I'm stuck with "Dankort or cash only" or "mobile pay or cash only" - worse when you're at a festival and for some ridiculous reason they've decided to not accept cash (I get why but c'mon...)

I definitely prefer to be able to pay for large purchases with my Amex... but it's not a deterrence or sign of quality of the business to me whether they accept or not. Major portions of entire countries with absurdly highly rated quality restaurants and entertainment and so forth don't accept Amex so anyone thinking that acceptance of that particular card somehow corresponds to quality really might want to get out more... or maybe read something about selection bias
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I guess I will find out soon enough. Hilton sent the message today that they are severing their relationship with Citibank and replacing them with AmEx. I will be sent a Hilton Honors AmEx to replace my Citi Visa.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I had an opportunity to practice what I preach yesterday. I went to one of my favorite lunch counters near the office, and their credit card machine was broken. No Amex, no nothing-- except cash. To their credit they had a clear sign posted at the register so I was able to reconsider my decision to eat there before ordering.

I did briefly consider walking out. I wanted to pay with a credit card. I'm trying to hit a spending target for a significant bonus within the next 7 weeks. And it would've been easy to go elsewhere; there are, like, four other eateries on the same block. But I stayed and forked over $12 cash for lunch. Ultimately I decided a) I really wanted that food for lunch-- I'd picked that restaurant over its neighbors for a reason-- and b) paying $12 cash, instead of charging it, once wouldn't kill my effort to earn the bonus.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:14 pm

AMEX unfriendly establishment

Recently, I was at Ala Mona in Waikiki beach, Honululu. Before I step in I always check the glass display that has those stickers of Visa /Mc/AX logos.

So this particular eyewear shop upon payment refuse to accept my AX card. So I asked why?
They replied AMEX not accepted.. Do I have any other card with me. I said No this is lunch time shopping for a tourist.

So I pointed that their entrance Had AX welcomed.

I said the sunglasses were not important. I can make do without or come back on another day.
Guess what? Swiped my Amex.
They were polite and great throughout but why have the sign when not willing to accept it... Again higher transaction fee to merchant.

Same night.... After dinner... In the same bldg a beautiful bar overlooking the beach walk had issues. This time round the waitress gave me a dirty look. So I reduced her tip.

She asked if I had any other card. I do but signs said AX welcomed.

I read almost all your posts on sharing the pros n cons and really interesting... So I'll share mine.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by babyeitoto
Recently, I was at Ala Mona in Waikiki beach, Honululu. Before I step in I always check the glass display that has those stickers of Visa /Mc/AX logos.

So this particular eyewear shop upon payment refuse to accept my AX card. So I asked why?
They replied AMEX not accepted.. Do I have any other card with me. I said No this is lunch time shopping for a tourist.

I said the sunglasses were not important. I can make do without or come back on another day.
They were polite and great throughout but why have the sign when not willing to accept it... Again higher transaction fee to merchant.

Same night.... After dinner... In the same bldg a beautiful bar overlooking the beach walk had issues. This time round the waitress gave me a dirty look. So I reduced her tip.

I read almost all your posts on sharing the pros n cons and really interesting... So I'll share mine.
Waitress is most likely just a low level employee, why would she care to discriminate against AMEX ?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by babyeitoto

Any merchant that lies about taking Amex should be reported to Amex for violating their merchant agreement. That's what I do.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
More and more restaurant don't display any card brand logo on their doors as a way to have a sleek exterior. Or is it a way to be ambiguous about which payment methods they accept ? The problem with that is that you cannot point out the AMEX logo as an argument in your favor to confront their lies about not taking AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.