Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

First Time I've Been Asked for My ID in 35 Years!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Waitstaff at Harry Caray's at MDW asked me for my ID the other day when I ordered a beer during a CO delay. I won't give away my age, but let's just say it's the first time I've been asked for my ID since 1969! State law, they said. If so, it's a state law that's never obeyed in downtown Chicago.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Defrocked Plat
My recollection of when they ask for ID, especially when a person is clearly over 35 or 40, is that they've been recently busted for serving minors and aren't taking any chances on getting their liquor license suspended.

Either that, or it's a shameless attempt at getting a bigger tip.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I had the same thing happen a couple days ago at CMH (first at Max & Erma's, then at the bar back by the AA gates). From what I could hear with other patrons, they were carding everyone regardless of how youthful they did or didn't look.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 0524
Waitstaff at Harry Caray's at MDW asked me for my ID the other day when I ordered a beer during a CO delay. I won't give away my age, but let's just say it's the first time I've been asked for my ID since 1969! State law, they said. If so, it's a state law that's never obeyed in downtown Chicago.
I got asked for my ID at some awful bar in Queens to which I let some guys I met in the bar at the W on Union Square drag me. Being a not-so-youthful-looking 28, that was quite a surprise.

Naturally, with my passport locked in my room safe and no other form of acceptable ID, I ended up relying on charm and frank disbelief to get served.

It turned out to be a college-age place so I guess that fits in with the recently-busted possibility cited by one of the other posters.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Back in my bartending days, I would card older people for two reasons. I would card the men just to see how they respond. If they are jerks or really drunk, I could tell them to take a hike. If they were women, they were invariably quite pleased that I carded them.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:22 pm

Yeah, I'm 24 and don't get carded anymore... Makes me sad

I blame it on the balding boyfriend though
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
A smart server will card me when I ask for a senior citizen discount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.