Wiki Posts
Search

Make Valentine's Day reservations ASAP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Make Valentine's Day reservations ASAP

Talked to a manager of an upscale restaurant who told me that Valentine's day reservations are already pouring in. Seems that February 14 is the toughest reservation of all. . Some restaurants ask for credit cards when booking. The least favorite holiday in the restaurant business because all tables are "2-tops"
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:31 pm

Valentine's Day falls on a Monday this year.

With many restaurants normally closed on Monday, I wonder if this will turn out to be more of a Valentine's weekend on Feb 12 and 13 in addition to the 14th.

I know that here on LI, many restauranteurs were disappointed last year when Valentine's Day fell on a Saturday, thereby not really giving them the usual boost in business that it gives when it falls during the week.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Valentine's is my least favorite night to eat out. Everyone is out, so the restaurants are packed. They know they'll be busy, and to accomodate as many folks as possible much of the food is preprepared even in the best restaurants.

It's speedrack night.

One chef of an upscale restaurant here in DC tells his kitchen staff, "Think Applebees."
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Seems that February 14 is the toughest reservation of all.
So don't be a sucker and dine then, wife and I pick a date close to but not on the 14th and agree that it is our protest day against the organized day to show our love for one another. Less crowds and hassle. ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
Valentine's is my least favorite night to eat out. Everyone is out, so the restaurants are packed.
True. And it's starting happening across continental Europe too.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Less crowds and hassle. ^ ^ ^
Less crowds = intimacy.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:17 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hairpeace
Less crowds = intimacy.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:53 am

Don't need reservations... All I want is wings and beer... I don't think that there will be a huge demand for that on V-Day...

Keeping it low-maintenance for the boy this year...
Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Valentine's Day, like New Year's Eve, is when people get bilked by restaurants and their "special" menus. My husband and I will have a romantic dinner at home. We'll probably go out a few days later.

Now I'm not saying Valentine's Day isn't romantic for us. Last year, my husband proposed to me on Valentine's Day. So it's quite special....special enough to want to be alone and not have our wallets bilked.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by flyerwife
...With many restaurants normally closed on Monday, I wonder if this will turn out to be more of a Valentine's weekend on Feb 12 and 13 in addition to the 14th...
As if one day/night isn't enough...I don't even want to think about a Valentine's Weekend!

Last edited by cawhite60156; Jan 27, 2005 at 8:58 am
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I get to fly to Indianapolis to start a business trip on the evening of the 14th. Valentine's Day in the Admirals Club - that is actually an improvement over recent years!
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:39 pm

The abridged menus and premium prices turn us off on Valentine's Day. I'm cooking for Mrs. 0524 this year. We'll open a nice bottle of wine, too.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Valentine's is on Monday this year. Kiss your lover today.

FedEx won't be making residential deliveries, restaurants will be busy. Plan ahead.

Bilked, overpriced and overpressured, pre-prepared food? I'm thinking it's not a rip off by restaurant execs but an attempt to meet the public demand for a memorable Valentine meal at various price points.

So what do ya'll think about Mother's Day? Limited menu, buffet brunch , crowds, bilking the seniors with walkers and their unsuspecting families?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:34 pm

Programs: CO; HH; HZ
Yet another holiday fallen prey to the likes of Hallmark, FTD and the food service industries!

Do something real special this year... Take the Honey to a dayspa for dual massages, facials, manicures and pedicures.

Then grab a 6-pack, a couple of Big Mac Value Meals and head home for Fear Factor!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lili-dui
FedEx won't be making residential deliveries, restaurants will be busy. Plan ahead.
Of course FedEx will be making regular residential deliveries on Monday Feb 14. Just use their overnight, 2 day, or 3 day supersaver products. That's quite a choice!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.