Rules in London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Rules in London

Hi

I've heard good reports about Rules, near Covent Garden. I'm thinking of treating the parents to a snug, wintry, "Christmas" dinner and I've heard this place, with traditional British food and a cosy, wood-panelled, roaring fire atmosphere is ideal.

Any Flyertalkers able to venture an opinion?

Cheers,

BL
Old Dec 10, 2004, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Hi

I've heard good reports about Rules, near Covent Garden. I'm thinking of treating the parents to a snug, wintry, "Christmas" dinner and I've heard this place, with traditional British food and a cosy, wood-panelled, roaring fire atmosphere is ideal.

Any Flyertalkers able to venture an opinion?

Cheers,

BL
BL - I was discussing "proper" London restaurants with friends over the weekend, and Rules came up - everyone who's been there gives it rave reviews. Haven't tried it personally, but I'd trust their opinion.

Fairly good review in Square Meal. (As an aside, their London Eating Directory is very useful, IMHO. And it's free of charge provided you have a London office address and meet various unstated criteria about the type of firm you work for and what you do.... )
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Rules is wonderful... both the food, which is quite traditional, and the experience, which is so "Old London" as to be transcendent.

I think once every few years would be more than adequate, but it is not to be missed, especially in winter.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 4:02 am

I once had the joy one of eating in a private dining room in Rules. It was charming. I totally agree with others - Rules is a great restaurant.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 3:27 am

My British partner gives Rules his thumbs up. Maybe I can convince him to take me there soon! Let us know how your meal was if you do, indeed, eat there. Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
I was in London last week and ate at Rules at the suggestion of a friend who used to live in London. I echo the sentiments of the above posters. We had a very good meal. The service was very good and the ambiance is very old school Britain. I highly recommend the restaurant -- and in particular the savoury course. I had the welsh rarebit and my wife had the stilton with crackers and a nice glass of vintage port.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Oh well, I ran it past Mother, who indicated that after 7 hours of prandial indulgence in Gulf Air F (they have onboard chefs you know) a heavy meal that evening might not be such a good idea! Shame they're only in London for one night this time...

Never mind, thanks for the recommendations, and I'll be sure to take them next time they're in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.