Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chain restaurants that are actually good

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Okay, this isn't your run-of-the-mill chain, but I pick Nobu. Anyone agree??

http://www.noburestaurants.com/
I agree. ^
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
When I was up in vancouver ate at a chain called white spot which is a BC only chain.The burgers there were quite good.Didnt try anything else on the menu...
-howie
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:34 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by QuietLion
Mastro's Steakhouse in Beverly Hills is my favorite in LA. It started in Phoenix and I believe they have opened a third location.

QL
Agreed with Mastro's, just make sure to not get the heated plate. I also think the Fleming's at Fashion Island in Newport Beach makes a great steak as well. I haven't been to any other Fleming's, but every meal at the Newport one I have enjoyed.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
I've gotta agree with the Corner Bakery, Carrabba's, and Roy's suggestions.

I had no idea that Copeland's was a chain.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Although they aren't an official "chain," I've always had great meals at Houston's and find it especially blows away Cheesecake Factory(esque) competition.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:33 pm

Oneworldboy - Why would you not consider Houstons to be an official chain? I think that they meet the very definition of a chain:

"a businesses under one management or ownership and offer similar goods or services but are found in different locations"
see: http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...fid=1861596080

p.s. - Here is their website: http://www.houstons.com/
Old Dec 10, 2004, 4:55 am
AAflyerDFW

Another vote for Houston's

Originally Posted by Oneworldboy
Although they aren't an official "chain," I've always had great meals at Houston's and find it especially blows away Cheesecake Factory(esque) competition.
I'll second that vote for Houston's, as well as their cousin restaurants Bandera and Gulfstream. I've had consistently good quality of food and service at many of their locations across the country.

Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Despite living here in Texas where good Tex-Mex food abounds, my colleagues and I all go ga-ga over Chevy's when we are traveling out west (and their east coast cousin Rio Bravo).
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:36 am

Buffet wise, if you ever live in the areas where they have "Sweet Tomatoes" it's really good. It's an all you can eat soup, salad, pasta, and bread place. 6 differnet kinds of soups everyday, 3 different kinds of handmade salads, along with a full salad bar, and 3 different kinds of pastas everyday.

It started in 1977 and in the california area, it's called Soup Plantation.

http://www.sweettomatoes.com/
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by techgirl
Despite living here in Texas where good Tex-Mex food abounds, my colleagues and I all go ga-ga over Chevy's when we are traveling out west (and their east coast cousin Rio Bravo).

Chevy's Fresh Mex is also here in the East.

That place pisses my wife off something good because of "El Machino".
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by steve100
Oneworldboy - Why would you not consider Houstons to be an official chain? I think that they meet the very definition of a chain:

"a businesses under one management or ownership and offer similar goods or services but are found in different locations"
see: http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...fid=1861596080

p.s. - Here is their website: http://www.houstons.com/
Obviously the distinction is vague (and I see your point), but as learned from studying Houston's a couple years ago, their management adamently tries to steer away from being a "chain" and thinks of each store as a seperate entity.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS, IHG
Krispy Kreme .... but only when the hot light is on

I have found Outback to be inconsistant. In Anchorage the meat has little flavor, the atmosphere is good at all locations if that is what you're after.

Chili's for their tortilla soup

The Keg has been consistantly good in Oregon & Washington.

Alison
Chugiak, AK
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:52 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
AlisoninAlaska and any other FT'ers:

Could you recommend any dishes at Outback and Chili's to someone who has never been to either but might want to try one of their Asian outlets one day? I did try TGI Friday's once but found it almost disgusting, cheap taste and feel, but this might have to do with the unfamiliarity of Asian cooks and staff with American (fast) food.

Are there any American chains in Asia /Europe that offer good "gourmet" burgers, especially of the more spicy variety?
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I am not a fan of Chili's, but have to admit they have really good tortilla soup.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by stompoutloud
Buffet wise, if you ever live in the areas where they have "Sweet Tomatoes" it's really good. It's an all you can eat soup, salad, pasta, and bread place. 6 differnet kinds of soups everyday, 3 different kinds of handmade salads, along with a full salad bar, and 3 different kinds of pastas everyday.

It started in 1977 and in the california area, it's called Soup Plantation.

http://www.sweettomatoes.com/

I ate dinner at Sweet Tomatoes tonight in Houston. And yum! I've eaten at the Orlando, FL locations before and was happy when I saw a Sweet Tomatoes here in Houston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.