Search

Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!

Yes it's a cheap wine we would not drink any other day of the year.

Yes it's a marketing hype by somebody rinsing out their barrels.

But if you have been in France on the third Thursday in November you know how much fun it is, and today's the day to celebrate with them.

For those who don't know, here's a good link about it.

http://www.intowine.com/beaujolais2.html
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:16 pm

Thanks!

I was wondering why there were so many ads for it in Wednesdays dining section of the NYTimes.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:11 pm

Thanks for the reminder.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:38 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

And after having a bottle with dinner tonight (turkey thighs) it's really not all that bad for an under $9 a bottle wine.

Most certainly won't make it onto our must buy list, but sometimes yo udon't want a steak, and a McDonalds double quarter pounder with cheese is perfect.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Some good winter ales came in today also.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
I'm recovering now from last night's celebrations in Paris. Thank goodness lunch hour has arrived!

Don't know if others agree, but the Beaujolais Nouveau was terrible this year, as expected. 2003 on the other hand was surprisingly yummy (thanks to the great French heat wave).

IMHO, the beaujolais from Gauthier (a Morgon, fermented and aged the proper way) is excellent. 2002 is a keeper.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I like Nouveau every year. It's generally pleasant. I just think it's a shame that, in general, peoplie only drink this one bit of Beaujolais. There are so many fine wines made there, and you can buy them for a song. Cheap and pleasant and excellent with food. I often do Nouveau with Thanksgiving dinner, keeping with the harvest theme and all, but this year I've decided to move up to a nice Fleurie or Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent instead. I love Nouveau day, and it is indeed a fun thing, but let's give Beaujolais more than one day a year!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I used to celebrate Beaujolais Neouveau like everyone else. But it is usually crummy wine and it is a huge marketing scandal. So today in Lyon at Chloris, we ignored it and enjoyed some fine Bourgogne.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:43 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Arrow

Beaujolais nouveau is more interesting for the event than for the wine of course. What's irritating is the price. It may not be felt too much abroad, but in France, with the hype come very high prices (especially considering the quality) especially in restaurants.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by gutt22
but this year I've decided to move up to a nice Fleurie or Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent instead. I love Nouveau day, and it is indeed a fun thing, but let's give Beaujolais more than one day a year!
These are my top three favorites as well, and thus they flow very rapidly at our home. I can understand why Beaujolais is sometimes referred to the third river of Lyon after the Rhone and the Saone!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: BA
It seemed a passing phase in the UK in the 1980s (which is where it all began, by the way, racing it back overnight to London in sports cars). Then it started being shipped in big trucks, it had its 15 minutes of fame, and was gone.

Affectionately known as Vimto Nouveau
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:53 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
pisser de l'eau

Whenever I happened to be in Paris during the third Thursday in November I was always flabbergasted at the huge displays of "le Beaujolais Nouveau!" In a country that produces such great and delicious wines, this "pisser de l'eau" doesn't do much for persons who appreciate good wines. IMHO it's an anomaly... Sort of like a dog doo free sidewalk!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:16 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Sort of like a country that produces some totally incredible beef having McDonalds all over the place?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cordelli
Sort of like a country that produces some totally incredible beef having McDonalds all over the place?
^ That's a great point. I'm getting a good chuckle. Thanks cordelli!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.