Paris Restaurants Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Restaurants Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:54 am

Early pre-theatre dinner?

I'm also looking for a restaurant in Paris for NY Eve, but my problem is that we're seeing an opera and therefore need to have an early dinner. However, none of the restaurants seem to open until 7pm, which will be too late for us. Any suggestions? I don't think the opera will finish until about 11, so I wouldn't want to even try to get a table at that point.

If anyone has any particular recommendations, we're looking for something good and French, but not over-the-top expensive.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by natalyas
I'm also looking for a restaurant in Paris for NY Eve, but my problem is that we're seeing an opera and therefore need to have an early dinner. However, none of the restaurants seem to open until 7pm, which will be too late for us. Any suggestions? I don't think the opera will finish until about 11, so I wouldn't want to even try to get a table at that point.

If anyone has any particular recommendations, we're looking for something good and French, but not over-the-top expensive.
I wouldn't recommend any French dinner you could find at 6pm, so I suggest you either a) have a late multiple course lunch where you can linger well into the afternoon, or b) have a nice dinner after your opera; it shouldn't be too difficult to reserve a nice table in Paris for that time.

For example, out of curiosity, I just phoned one of my favorite resto's in the neighborhood around the Bastille opera (I assume that's where you'll be), who told me they will be open for new year's eve and will accept reservations for 11:15pm. They will have a special menu, but the cuisine will surely be southwest French (think canard, foie gras, truffles, etc.), and the prices are reasonable. The place is Baracane: 38 r Tournelles (4th): +33 1 42 71 43 33. Feel free to PM me if I can lend a hand.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 5:14 am

My recommendation is the Michelin 3-star (highest) Pierre Gagnaire. After eating in at least 7 3-stars on my last trip (many for more than one night) including Troisgros, the restaurant rated best in France by Gault Millaut in 2003 (the year I was last in France), Pierre Gagnaire was one of my favorites. They serve at least 20 different plates in several courses and everything is very creative/modern. One of the most fun restaurants we went to in all of France. It is in some hotel near the Champs-Elysees, but I can't put my finger on the name. The website is http://www.pierre-gagnaire.com If you go, I suggest a menu because (I speak fluent French) the menus are quite confusing. It is quite expensive, but if you go for lunch they have a bargain:90euro menu.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:00 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PaulasPain
so I suggest you...have a nice dinner after your opera...
But a word of warning if you're eating late on New Year's Eve. We did last year and it was impossible to find a cab when we finished, We asked the restaurant to call and even they came up empty. It was a long walk back to the hotel, with very unhappy wife in high heels. Couple we were with had same experience going back to their hotel. Have fun!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
Good point, Chapel Hill. Hailing a taxi is extremely difficult on new year's eve in Paris. Many taxi co's also suspend their advance reservation option at this time. FWIW, the metro stops running around 1am and restarts at 5:30am.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
I posted somewhere else already but if you are interested:

These restaurants are good for pre-theater dinner without breaking the bank as well as other info:

Les Brasseries Flo are all open Dec 24th-25th-26th. They have a common carte for Christmas and New Year, I have a copy for those who wish to receive it.

http://www.flobrasseries.com/

Other Restaurant open: Le Bistrot des Deux Théâtres, Rue Blanche in Paris.

As for Dec. 27th, expect quite a run in all the shops as it will be the day where many people bring back presents they received and don't like and wish to exchange...

The metro runs normally at Christmas accordng to the RATP. Last train as usual, around 00'30 hours.

Dec 31st-January 1st: Metro 1,2,4,6,9,14 will run the whole night as well as RER A&B. They warned me that they would post something on their web sites during December.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PaulasPain
I wouldn't recommend any French dinner you could find at 6pm, so I suggest you either a) have a late multiple course lunch where you can linger well into the afternoon, or b) have a nice dinner after your opera; it shouldn't be too difficult to reserve a nice table in Paris for that time.

For example, out of curiosity, I just phoned one of my favorite resto's in the neighborhood around the Bastille opera (I assume that's where you'll be), who told me they will be open for new year's eve and will accept reservations for 11:15pm. They will have a special menu, but the cuisine will surely be southwest French (think canard, foie gras, truffles, etc.), and the prices are reasonable. The place is Baracane: 38 r Tournelles (4th): +33 1 42 71 43 33. Feel free to PM me if I can lend a hand.
I agree with PaulasPain's strategy. You can even have a snack at a cafe near the Bastille Opera (like an omlette or croque monsieur) before attending the opera, and then eat like a king after the show (11 pm reservations are not difficult to make). The cab situation will be tricky though. Getting a cab that late at night is always difficult in Paris ... perhaps it would be easier to cab back to your neighborhood after the show and dine there. Then you can just walk back to your accomodations. Feel free to email me with any additional questions.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aa4ever
My recommendation is the Michelin 3-star (highest) Pierre Gagnaire. <snip> They serve at least 20 different plates in several courses and everything is very creative/modern. One of the most fun restaurants we went to in all of France. <snip> if you go for lunch they have a bargain:90euro menu.
Completely agree with this. Probably the most fabulous meal (and seemingly never-ending meal I've ever had). Each course is one surprise after the next.

Another good one - far less pricey - is Tallivent's sister restaurant L'Angle. blairvanhorn recommended this one to me and I've been back a few times. Service and food are superb.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:47 am

Programs: DL GM
Have a big, glamourous lunch someplace where lunch is MUCH cheaper than dinner, like Le Grand Vefour. Then drinks at the Opera and, if you're hungry again, a big shellfish platter or a choucroute garnie at one of the Flo brasseries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.