Search

Plain, or Pinot

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2023, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Plain, or Pinot

Two days later, I'm still thinking about it - and this wine story is worthy (IMnshO) of its own thread.

Picture it, Moxy Hotel Oakland. I have a drink coupon for a wine/beer/house cocktail. I sit at the bar, which is tended by the Front Desk Clerk / DJ / Food Reheater / Bartender (yes, those seem to be all the duties of the front desk staff). Anyway, I asked what kind of red wine was available. He said "Pinot ok?" I asked him what other sort of red wine he had. (CA pinot noir is something I'll not order unless I sample it or know it - it usually rates a high dislike in my book.) He shows me another bottle with a bright design on the label - no name / varietal, etc. (probably on the back label) and he said this is "Plain." "We have Plain, and Pinot." I was dying just a little bit inside, thinking this is the kind of stuff you can't make up, and the guy was serious, so there was no sense in any further follow up, except to order the Plain, as I didn't want the Pinot. It was a perfectly ok glass of complimentary red wine. I couldn't bring myself to order "Plain," so I just pointed to that bottle, saying "I'll have that one."

Just like M&Ms. Plain or Pinot. I thought I'd share.
gaobest likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I want to know what the Plain was! I'm assuming some CA red blend heavy on cab sauv.

Generally I agree I don't like CA pinots (I think it's the warmer climate) but Freeman is the exception. They make nice pinots...fruity to be sure but still with a bit going on.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How did you get a free coupon?

when I had happy hour at embassy suites Chicago, I was satisfied with the free beer choices even though when it wasnt happy hour, I was paying for different drafts.

Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:22 pm

Maybe plain is the dregs of all the half-sampled reds mixed in the back and poured into a non-descript decanter/caraff?
corky likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Maybe plain is the dregs of all the half-sampled reds mixed in the back and poured into a non-descript decanter/caraff?
Right. It's that stuff you get in domestic Hyatt honor bars, plain red wine.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by gaobest
How did you get a free coupon?

when I had happy hour at embassy suites Chicago, I was satisfied with the free beer choices even though when it wasnt happy hour, I was paying for different drafts.
Wish you had snapped a picture of the bourbon. I've seen Philadelphia Whiskey and Beam's Eight Star as the "bourbon" or whiskey offerings at places like Embassy Suites free managers receptions.

EB1K: good call on the plain or pinot M&Ms!

(In California, Carneros region seems to put out some decent Pinot Noir. Can't think of any specific wineries offhand there in Carneros but it seems like I've had some pretty good pinot coming out of those beautiful marshlands)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.