Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Unfortunately it looks the closure of Gaggan has accelerated to August 24th of this year instead of sometime in 2020, sadly a few days before my reservation. Would you be able to share what you didn't like about Bo Lan? We're also looking at Gaa (subject to the restaurant continuing to stay open), but leaning towards the Thai cuisine option.
Thank you for the heads-up! I had a res for November, this is sad to hear. It sounds like he'll be setting up a new restaurant 6-8 weeks after Gaggan closes, hopefully when I'm there it'll be open for business, fingers crossed.

As for alternatives, I have Nahm booked as well, also looking into Saneh Jaan and Paste.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:00 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by JBord
Cinc Sentits, I assume it would be khakis and a button down shirt at a minimum. What about a sport coat?
When I was there, a few men were wearing jackets at Cinc Sentits, but mostly it was just European casual chic. Long sleeve shirts, decent pants of a variety of colours, no ties and nothing that obviously looked like jeans. Oh yeah, and a way better selection and style of shoes than I have.

Other than that, it's pretty chill and relaxed.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: some
Agreed that Paste is (much) better than Nahm. Once your inside Paste is a lovely place but it's not as pretty as Nahm.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
For what it’s worth if you want relatively traditional Thai food executed very well I’d highly recommend Paste. It was immeasurably better than Nahm in all but ambiance (its in a shopping centre in that bizarre Asian way that seem to be an acceptable location for fine dining).
Thanks for the recommendation, we're all set to go at Paste. It's also very close to our hotel, as an added bonus.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JBord
Since we're back on the topic of dress...

Still working on our Spain trip. So far we have Cinc Sentits (dinner) in Barcelona and Akelarre (lunch) in San Sebastian. We may add a 3rd starred restaurant, but not sure -- we actually really enjoy trying more typical local cuisine when we travel. So tapas, pinxtos, cider houses, paella, traditional Catalan etc. will be heavily visited.

Setting aside people's opinions on how one SHOULD dress for Michelin restaurants (because they vary and we don't need that discussion again), how should we dress to fit in at these particular spots? Akelarre for lunch, I assume would be fairly casual, maybe khakis and a polo for me? Cinc Sentits, I assume it would be khakis and a button down shirt at a minimum. What about a sport coat?

Again - we don't want to be over or under dressed, just want to fit in. I prefer casual when it doesn't stand out. Part of the question is I also don't want to have to pack a suit or a sport coat for this trip just for 1 or 2 meals.

My wife can figure this out on her own, I still haven't figured out how to discuss what's appropriate dress for a female.
Given that I was overdressed at Azurmendi for lunch (nearby in Bilbao, also 3*) wearing your outfit plus a blazer - you should be okay as is. I'd only wear the jacket if the temperature calls for it. As for a female, I feel a typical cocktail/summer dress should be fine.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Given that I was overdressed at Azurmendi for lunch (nearby in Bilbao, also 3*) wearing your outfit plus a blazer - you should be okay as is. I'd only wear the jacket if the temperature calls for it. As for a female, I feel a typical cocktail/summer dress should be fine.
Just enter the restaurant and be gentle if others didn´t fit with your choice.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Dinasty Flyer, Accor Platinum, Swissotel Eleva
Last month I went to Taipei and had a great dinner in Mume.
https://guide.michelin.com/en/taipei...estaurant/mume

Besides we went to some Taipei night market places that are Bib Gourmand. I have very good memories of the breakfast at this place:
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rest...Milk-1358mzgxz

And of course, we went to DTF:
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rest...Road-1358mvpvo
Fliar likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Has anyone eaten recently at any of the Scottish restaurants that have or formerly had Michelin stars? Your thoughts/favorites or other suggestions in the range?

The Kitchin (1*), Edinburgh
Number One at Balmoral (1*), Edinburgh
Martin Wishart (1*), Edinburgh
21212 (1*), Edinburgh
Boath House (former 1*), Nairn
The Torridon (in the range), Torridon
Kinloch Lodge (former 1*), Skye
Loch Bay (1*), Skye
Three Chimneys (in the range), Skye
Inverlochy Castle Hotel (former 1*), Ft William
Isle of Eriska (former 1*), Oban
Airds Hotel (in the range), Oban
Martin Wishart at Cameron House (former 1*), Loch Lomond

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 12, 2019 at 11:26 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:22 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
21212 (1*), Edinburgh
Edinburgh is in Lothian which is in the lowlands (wouldn't want you to unwittingly cause offence).
It's definitely worth checking out the Balmoral hotel if you're in Edinburgh, there's a nice Scotch bar and it's all very quaint and old.
Can't claim to have been to Number One though it does look good.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Edinburgh is in Lothian which is in the lowlands (wouldn't want you to unwittingly cause offence).
It's definitely worth checking out the Balmoral hotel if you're in Edinburgh, there's a nice Scotch bar and it's all very quaint and old.
Can't claim to have been to Number One though it does look good.
Edited to be sure! Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Just learned that we received permission to NOT have to wear a jacket for l'Astrance for October. Cheers!

Everyone has their own taste, I didn't like it at all, neither Jules Verne.

Talking about L'arpege, am having lunch in his garden in September, can't wait.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Yahillwe

I had a reservation at l'Astrance when it still had 3 stars but had to cancel it one day before. Sad.....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:56 am

L’astrance : had a couple of dinners 10 years and it was good, not sure why they had 3 stars....
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe

Assume this is the new Jules Verne ? Did they bring back a lounge area? Piano?
not a big fan of the Ducasse Jules verne.
Did love the previous one. ( can’t remember the chef name, but both food and service were very good at that time)
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Has anyone eaten recently at any of the Scottish restaurants that have or formerly had Michelin stars? Your thoughts/favorites or other suggestions in the range?

21212 (1*), Edinburgh
Boath House (former 1*), Nairn
The Torridon (in the range), Torridon
Kinloch Lodge (former 1*), Skye
Loch Bay (1*), Skye
Three Chimneys (in the range), Skye
Inverlochy Castle Hotel (former 1*), Ft William
Isle of Eriska (former 1*), Oban
Airds Hotel (in the range), Oban
Martin Wishart at Cameron House (former 1*), Loch Lomond
I ate at at Number One and Loch Bay, plus The Cellar (1*) which isn't on your list, this summer. Every meal was great, although Number One was surprisingly empty while we were there (dinner on Sunday, June 30). Our favorite part of the Number One meal was the Sommelier--he explained everything in thorough detail, especially for wines from regions we had visited. Service was good, and all of the dishes were solid but they didn't necessarily "wow" us. Compared to our other one-star meals, Number One was probably a bit over-priced. Loch Bay was an absolute treat - it's down a single-track road, right on the water, and you literally park next a chicken coop in the lot before walking into the tiny dining room. Extremely affordable, and some of the best-cooked seafood we'd ever had. We ate there for a Tuesday dinner and every table was booked.

We had a Saturday lunch at The Cellar, and also found it both affordable and excellent. It's in a cute little town. I'd plan to arrive early for a reservation to have a drink in their inviting bar/lounge area. Again, every table was booked, and we were there for a late lunch.

We also ate at Sandeman's in the Fonab Castle hotel just outside Pitlochry. While not Michelin starred, it has a 3 AA rosettes and they're making a good effort at modern fine dining in what is otherwise an old-school mahogany feeling place. We had a Friday night dinner reservation and the restaurant was less than half full.

This was our first visit to Scotland, and friends told me to expect to be disappointed by the food. That couldn't have been further from our experience.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.