Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 10:21 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Just returned Monday from our 2 weeks and 21 star extravaganza in Japan. A quick summary:

TOKYO

3* Yoshitake—truly a mind-blowing and very enjoyable experience. Really delicious. Was much more than just sushi. He made me enjoy a full raw oyster for the first time in my entire life, though that could also have been what made my husband sick later that same night! Service was excellent, and he even attempted to speak with us in English a bit during the dinner. Was full but not stuffed even after such a huge meal, but it only took 2.5 hrs. Highly recommended.

2* Narisawa—absolutely worthy of 3 stars and one of my 2 or 3 favorite meals in Japan. Food was stunning and delicious. Service was fabulous, and the mixed wine and sake pairings were tremendous. An amazing dinner, and yet I wasn’t stuffed like I’d normally be after such a lengthy 2.5 hr meal. I’d return in a second. Highly recommended, and agree that it’s one of the best in the world.

2* Sawada—very nice lunch with mostly just sushi in a sterner environment but surprisingly more casual too—perhaps because it was just 4 of us that day, all English speaking. Excellent sushi. Chefs wife was very friendly. Recommended but wasn’t blown away like everyone else.

KYOTO

3* Kitcho Arashiyama—truly the most memorable of all our meals in Japan, and worth every penny for me even as it was the most expensive at $1700 for the two of us. Absolutely delicious Kaiseki food in the most amazing authentic Japanese surroundings, providing an immersive Kaiseki/Japanese dinner experience that as much Japanese cultural and cuisine theater as it was an amazing dinner. Loved the private room and garden, loved the hardware, loved the traditional kimono garbed servers, and the food was divine. Highly recommended as long as you’re comfortable spending over $1500 for two people and think of dinner as entertainment as well as food.

2* Gion Sasaki—what a lunch, a truly memorable and very fun counter experience as the only Anglos, yet the team and chefs tried to speak with us and used Google translate even a few times, and the surrounding customers all spoke with us too! Almost everyone was surprised we’d heard of this place, and most were shocked we’d been able to get booking as foreigners. Most fun meal of our two weeks as a result, with very good food and Kaiseki, some truly intriguing courses that were all quite delicious, better even than 3* Wayamamura in Nara. Was just $100 per person for an incredible lunch. Highly recommended.

1* Tempura Mizuki—wow. Truly delicious and memorable tempura bar dinner at the RC Kyoto. Decided to go a la carte so we could do as much tempura that we wanted as possible, especially since we don’t normally like fried foods, but was so delicious we over did it and bill came to $700 for the two of us! That’s how yummy it was. Paired with reasonable champagne that was a bit too pricey, but overall would return in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.

NARA

3* Wayamamura—only $60 per person, this easily is the cheapest and most casual 3* meal of all time for us, very casual counter seating environment with extremely good food. Not as impressive as Kitcho or Gion Sasaki but the food tasted almost as good—and at this price, we were ecstatic. The staff tried hard to communicate in Engoish and were very friendly. We were only Anglos. Highly recommended.

KOBE

2* Aragawa—overpriced but still enjoyable bucket list dinner with Sanda Kobe sirloin. Truly one of the money ost delicious steaks we’ve ever had, but didn’t think it was worth the $1200 bill for the two of us. Very friendly staff in a very kitschy traditional place. Not really recommended. Only if you have money to burn.

OSAKA

3* Hajime—perhaps the absolute most beautiful and artful food and most delicious food of the entire trip, and perhaps all time, but marred by so many sloppy service fails as to be very confusing. The chef is a genius. Made me love all the things I despise: oysters, beets, uni, and even love his vegetable dish for which he is rightly famous. His service team is ill equipped. Actually refused a wine pairing due to a soured Rhône with beef pairing, otherwise the wine pairings were excellent. Complained only to discover that the sommelier was the manager, and he clearly was ill equipped to serve that role. But the food was incredible. Food wise, one of the best meals we’ve ever had. But service wasn’t even worthy of 1 star. Recommended with caution.
CappuccinoAddict and jbeans like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 28, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
How was Belcanto? Will be there in a few weeks time with a group of friends.
Visited in 2015 so not fresh. In general for my taste the pay very much attention to presentation while food is closer to a 1 star.
arkellvspressdram likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I thought Belcanto was great, very much worthy of 2 stars. I had the Evolution Menu, and I found the flavors and presentation to be impressive, varied, and a great homage to Portuguese cuisine. I also loved the wine pairings, all Portuguese and showing the diversity of Portuguese wines. Belcanto shines with seafood--the grilled lobster was some of the best I've had and the giant prawn was an elegant take on shrimp and grits!
jbeans and arkellvspressdram like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 5:24 pm

I also loved Belcanto when I was there last year. I had the Lisbon menu, and thoroughly enjoyed the creatives presentations of all the local ingredients. Agree with CappuccinoAddict that the wine pairing was fantastic.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict

I thought Belcanto was great, very much worthy of 2 stars. I had the Evolution Menu, and I found the flavors and presentation to be impressive, varied, and a great homage to Portuguese cuisine. I also loved the wine pairings, all Portuguese and showing the diversity of Portuguese wines. Belcanto shines with seafood--the grilled lobster was some of the best I've had and the giant prawn was an elegant take on shrimp and grits!
Old May 27, 2018, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
My wife and I went to Torishin, a 1* Japanese yakatori restaurant in Manhattan tonight. We hadn’t been there in at least 5 years. We got the chef’s Omakase dinner and shared a small plate of grilled, rare, Wagyu. Everything was quite superb. We sat at the robato/yakatori bar.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
My wife and I went to Torishin, a 1* Japanese yakatori restaurant in Manhattan tonight. We hadn’t been there in at least 5 years. We got the chef’s Omakase dinner and shared a small plate of grilled, rare, Wagyu. Everything was quite superb. We sat at the robato/yakatori bar.
What is the new location like? Haven’t been there since they moved from UES.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

What is the new location like? Haven’t been there since they moved from UES.

I hadn't been to the new one until last night either. I liked it. The robato bar is separate from some of the other seating rather than sort of in the middle of the room as in the UES location. So it has more of a feel of a few separate rooms compared to the one room in the old one. The decor and such was very nice. My wife and I were both saying we were sorry we hadn't been there for so long. We were going to a Broadway play afterwards and the new location is quite convenient for the theater district. In fact when they called Friday to confirm the reservation they asked if we were going to the theater after dinner so they could make sure they got us out in time.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Dined at a couple of 1-star restaurants in Taipei this past week. Here's my shots of, and thoughts on, Tairroir, an "innovating Taiwanese" cuisine restaurant.

Arrived 10 minutes ahead of my reservation--it was a short walk from my hotel--and was immediately seated. The NT$ 3650 menu is an 8-course set with two options: one a NT$ 380 (about $13) supplemental course, and a NT$ 2200 wine pairing option, neither inclusive of 10% service charge. I opted for the wine pairing. Atmosphere was upscale, but the music was ... weird. I do not expect to use "Hotel California" and "Michelin" in the same sentence; there was a lot of 70s and 80s pop playing for about the first hour, then they changed over to lounge band covers.

There was bread offered throughout the meal, a "baguette" roll and a ... did she describe it as "quinoa" roll? Anyway, it was a whole-grain bread with dried cherries, both served with house-made butter and a serving of large-grained salt.

Food quality was solidly 1-star, with well-executed, tasty dishes, but could have had more innovative dishes IMHO; overall, they struck me as continental European, lacking sufficient Taiwanese influence (and the restaurant bills itself as "innovative Taiwanese" FWIW). Service was closer to 2-star; very attentive, but not obtrusive. The pacing was perfect, with no rush to the diner yet also no long waits without food. The kitchen majordomo seemed to do a fantastic job as I watched him coordinate getting items from the chefs to the servers and tables and keeping everything straight.

The entire wait staff split time between tables, though I usually had the attention of the same server; I think her English was the strongest, so she handled my table and tried to always be handy to explain each course as it came out. The sommelier's French was good and his knowledge of the wines good as well, but that was also the only place I really felt the service was less-than-stellar: the wine accompaniment was only 4 pours total for what turned out to be effectively 11 courses, and there was no explanation of, "This wine is for the next 3 dishes," etc., just a pour, description of the wine, and voila! No dessert wine either, which struck me as odd given 2 dessert courses plus mignardises (the latter offered with tea or coffee, which made sense). Would it have been that hard to pour a Sauternes? In retrospect, I'd have probably just ordered a single bottle of wine to myself instead of the accompaniment. At least the pours were relatively generous, particularly for the main course, but there were no top-offs offered.

Overall, it was a good value meal in terms of the cost (the main menu around $120), and the food was worthy of 1-star. I do think they have room to improve, but would also go back.

Place setting. As a solo diner, I was given a table large enough to seat 4; this was the "standard" table size, and I saw both couples and parties of 3-4 people seated at the same. I appreciated the large amount of space; several places will put solo diners or even couples crammed into a seating hardly larger than the menu placard. They also had a private dining room and a table set up for a larger group in the main dining room where I was.

Amuse bouche course, not on the menu. Clockwise from the top left, they included a cheese & herb pillow, a phyllo tartlet stuffed with "many varied mushrooms" according to my server, and a roll with IIRC some sort of fish. All three were tasty and went well with the champagne wine accompaniment.

First course: Green asparagus veloute with salted egg gougeres. The soup is topped with mushroom foam and dehydrated mushroom and is intended to be stirred before drinking. This was a solid, well-executed course, if not anything particularly creative.

"Bouillabaisse" with Guisgan Island Carabinero, Hokkaido uni, Rouille, and Chinese yam puree. This was a very nice course, with the uni being absolutely delicious. The wine pairing was a sake which worked very well and complimented the oiliness of the dish.

Heirloom tomato collection with gazpacho "cloud" and stracciatella with basil and olive oil. This was a nicely-presented dish which also happened to be tasty, although the gazpacho foam "cloud" was a bit out of proportion to the rest of the dish (both visibly and in terms of flavor). The wine accompaniment continued to be sake (there should be more on which courses go with which wines, IMHO--more on that later).

Supplementary course: Pu'er tea silkie egg with congee, sweet potato fondant, and buckwheat tuile. Congree poured in at the table. Served with the instruction to break the tuile and mix the components together. Overall, this was a nice dish, with a good mix of textures and flavors. The congee was very tasty, as was the tea egg--and the yolk was still runny even with the whites having actually picked up some good tea color and flavor. Wine pairing continued to be sake...

Chicken wing stuffed with braised abalone, "vert." This dish looks better than it was; the textures of the abalone and chicken simply didn't work together, and the green sauce (barely visible in this photo; apologies) wasn't distinctive. I like wings, and I like abalone, but it was just too chewy and rubbery with a little crispiness surrounding it. Still sake for the wine... which I was out of with no refill offered...

Poisson du jour, served with chickpeas, chickpea foam, and pickled cabbage bouillon. I never found out the particular fish. The fish was great, with a crispy, flavorful skin, and the chickpeas were good... but overwhelmed by foam. Wine was a really nice chardonnay.

Preview of the main course, which was Pingtung pigeon served two ways. Incredibly aromatic and appetizing. Wine was an appropriately-dry red, although I forget the varietal (it was French, I do remember).

The first of two servings of the pigeon, with the Shimeji mushrooms and petit pois with seaweed coulis. This was tasty, although I've had better cuts of pigeon before.

Second serving of the pigeon: Fried leg, served with heart and with a pate of pigeon liver (both under the greens). Honestly, this was my favorite of the two presentations, and was very tasty, although I'd have preferred 2 legs be included.

Another off-menu course: ramen flavored with chives, cheese, mushroom, and seaweed, accompanied by a chicken broth. Both were very good. The suggested order was for the noodles, then drink the broth.

First dessert course: Calamansi sorbet with Jin Xuan-Ai Yu jelly, lemon, and Ilha Formosa white wine with "crystal" (sugar). Suggestion was to mix, and the sugar did help balance out the sourness of the lemon, and the textures blended well. A decent palate cleanser. But... no wine pairing? Maybe the next course...

Main dessert course. There were 2 options; I chose the Pineapple "cake" (it was Taiwan, after all), served with pineapples, baba, camellia oil ice cream, and rum & raisin cream. It was like bread pudding pineapple cake and was great. But... no wine pairing?

Mignardises cart, "pick 3."

My selected mignardises. Clockwise from bottom left: A tart with cilantro cream (my favorite); a local chewy candy; a lemon tart; and some sort of rum-cake-esque thing. I picked the 1st 2 and asked the server to recommend a favorite; he gave me the other 2. The little cake was too dry and needed a creamier center given how thick the dry shell was. Lemon tart was very nice, if not distinctive. The chew was... chewy. Served with tea.

Last edited by exerda; May 30, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 9:20 am

Thank you for the review, definitely one of the places on my list in Taipei. Did you manage to make it to Raw or Mume and can compare them with Tairroir?
Old May 31, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Thank you for the review, definitely one of the places on my list in Taipei. Did you manage to make it to Raw or Mume and can compare them with Tairroir?
I made it to Mume; will post a review of it shortly. Never did clear the Raw waitlist, unfortunately; I'll have to try it next time. Sometime between when they waitlisted me and when I got to Taipei, they seemed to have changed their reservation system, too, so it's possible I fell through the cracks... or more likely, there weren't any cancellations for a Saturday night dinner at a hot restaurant.

Between Tairroir and Mume, the former is superior IMHO, but Mume has some high points as well. I just felt overall, it was a half a star behind Tairroir, and that the two aren't entirely comparable (more on this when I put together the review).
Old May 31, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Thank you so much for the pictures and detailed report! That mignardises cart looks absolutely stunning. It all looks very good for a 1-star.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:30 pm

Thanks and look forward to your review. Went to both Mume and Raw last summer and prefer Mume overall. Just find the food more tasty and especially like their desserts! If Tairroir is better, will definitely have to give it a try. But fine dining really isn’t Taiwan’s strong point, I normally stick with local food
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by exerda
My selected mignardises. Clockwise from bottom left: A tart with cilantro cream (my favorite); a local chewy candy; a lemon tart; and some sort of rum-cake-esque thing. I picked the 1st 2 and asked the server to recommend a favorite; he gave me the other 2. The little cake was too dry and needed a creamier center given how thick the dry shell was. Lemon tart was very nice, if not distinctive. The chew was... chewy. Served with tea.
Your rum cake is a canele I think, interior should be almost custardy if they nail it but it's one of those tricky things that only someone's Grandfather in Bordeaux can get right or some such.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:54 pm

Your rum cake is a canele I think, interior should be almost custardy if they nail it but it's one of those tricky things that only someone's Grandfather in Bordeaux can get right or some such.
You may be right... though if so, the execution was even further off. The interior was too dry and cake-y; custardy would have been my expectation and significantly better.

On to Mume, which was the other 1-star place I visited in Taipei which bills itself as a European cuisine restaurant using locally-sourced Taiwanese ingredients and flavors. I'm not sure of the dining options for dinner, but was offered only a la carte. I believe they used to have a tasting menu (maybe still do?), but there's no way to reserve it online, and I admit I didn't follow up with them prior to dining to check. I've since read that the set menu is no longer offered, FWIW.

Traffic was bad--I took a taxi from the Marriott rather than metro--and I arrived a couple of minutes late (I also blame my hotel a bit, as when I asked them to grab me a taxi, they said, "Oh, you don't need to leave yet! Wait another 20 minutes, and you will be fine."), but they seated me right away without issue. The table itself was set up for 2, but was somewhat tight quarters, against the wall on one side and adjacent to a table for 4 on the other. Still, I've had tighter seats in DC at several places I really like, and as a solo diner, don't expect a massive table to myself. Utensils were in a drawer pulled out from the table, with stacks of spoons, forks, and knives, so you can for each course refresh your own flatware. (No chopsticks, though given the European cuisine angle, I get that.)

I opted for four courses, with amuse bouche ("snacks"), appetizer ("smaller"), a main ("bigger"), and dessert ("sweeter"). The menu was pretty appetizing overall, and I asked my server for suggestions as to quantities and to help decide between some of the options; her suggestions were IMHO good ones.

Now on the size of courses for a moment... the "snacks" varied widely in size, with the tartlets, oyster, and pate all indeed snack-sized; however, the table next to me ordered the toast and the sourdough with beef fat butter, both of which were significant portions. Likewise, my "smaller" course was fairly large for an appetizer and physically larger than my "bigger" one, but several of the "smaller" courses did look to be smaller in size (such as the Wagyu tartare). I think the menu works best with multiple diners, each ordering at least one of each type of course and sharing small-plates/family style across the table; for a solo diner, you may want to double-up on some courses or cut back on others. I probably would have gone for two selections from the "snacks" section, and depending on the appetizer, might have picked two from there (the one I selected was fairly large, though--larger than my main, LOL). In retrospect, I definitely wished I tried the Wagyu tartare; seeing some others' photos and descriptions of it, I think it would have been great.

The wine list needs work, and there were plenty of cocktails offered, but in the end, I went for a local pale ale given I was only doing four courses.

Service was attentive, if not always coordinated (e.g. I had one server asking me if I was ready to order drinks while the bartender was already preparing mine, and another server asking if I was ready to order dinner after already having put my order in with another). Pacing was fine, if a tad bit slow for me as a single diner. I think it would work well for a couple or small group, with the diners never rushed. The value was good; I think my total bill came to about NT$ 2000, which for the quality and quantity of food was a good deal.

Comparing Mume to Tairroir, I felt like Mume actually offered more Taiwanese-inspired flavors than the latter, despite being described as a European restaurant and the latter as "innovative Taiwanese" cuisine. The food was right at 1-star; I've had some 1-star places with better food, and some with lesser. The food was creative (but not extremely so), and definitely seemed to capture local flavors. Service might have been better, though again, I've dined at 1-star places with more inconsistent service, too. Next time I'm in Taipei, I will try it again to see how the seasonable aspects of the menu change, and to try the Wagyu tartare, for sure. I actually started to ask if they had reservations available for the next night (when I was waitlisted for Raw) given the value, but decided on such a short trip I should try as many different places as I could--and ended up trying a couple of beer-focused places the next day, along with the Keelung night market...

Amuse bouche, the seasonal tartlets. The server described the one on the left as having a konbun-based pastry shell, but honestly, I think she got that backwards, and the left one is phyllo, whereas the one on the right was kelp-flavored. The left bite was a fish-infused cream topped with fried or dried sweet potato shavings; the one on the right had a baked cheese and what the server described as "peas" (they weren't English peas; they looked more like soy beans, but had a more pea-like texture). Both were good, if very different. I'd probably go for another helping of this size...

Appetizer: Burnt cabbage. The server recommended this over all of the other appetizers I considered, describing it as a cabbage which had been cooked (in coals?) to the point of charring the outside, then opened up and served with an oyster sauce, salmon roe, pickled onions, greens, and pine nuts. It was quite good. The server said "the bottom layer is not edible," which I took (correctly) to mean the pieces which were utterly charred and which only applied to a small band near the edge of the plate--so the instruction was a bit confusing, I suppose, though I've seen others' photos of this dish with a lot more of the bottom burnt to a crisp than was the case for mine. This was overall a nice blend of textures and flavors, with the pine nuts and fish eggs and oyster sauce ("using dried oyster for more intense flavor," my server explained) really going well together.

My main: fish (some kind of bass--should be local based on the restaurant's philosophy, although a lot of Taiwan's seafood is imported, so I dunno..) served in a lemon verbena broth. The broth was poured tableside and was incredibly fragrant, as well as tasty--I finished it off entirely. The kelp and herbs in the broth could have been chopped a bit more finely, IMHO, but that's personal preference.

Dessert: Roasted custard apple (hidden, bottom layer) topped with puff pastry and a passionfruit creme fraiche ice cream. The puff pastry sheet layer was overcooked; I suppose they wanted it to really hold its shape, but it was browned to the point of just being this side of burnt (they did call it "caramelized" IIRC; they weren't kidding). I like custard apple, and having it baked was an interesting variation. The ice cream was very tart, and the instruction to mix each bite between all the portions was a good one to help balance the tartness. I could have used a salty ingredient of some sort to perfect the dish, in retrospect, but I did enjoy it.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very nice designed food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.