Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
USA - favorite flavors are cookie dough or espresso chip. Of anywhere I've had ice cream in the US, Prince Puckler's in Eugene, OR stands out. It was definitely the primary cause of the "Freshman 15" when I started college!

Europe - Gelateria Della Palma near the Parthenon in Rome. NOM NOM Might be odd, but I love pineapple gelato. Another FFer had recommended searching this place out and I was not disappointed!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 am

Coming from Ohio, I have to go with the Buckeye ice cream from Deitsch's Ice Cream in Findlay, OH. Peanut butter ice cream with a fudge swirl and buckeye candies swirled in. It's insanely good. Plus, everything is made in store.

Although, I have to admit, going to a Jeni's Ice Cream shops in the Columbus area is always a unique experience and their ice cream is quite good... even the blueberry and sweet corn ice cream I had on one visit.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Friendly's Swiss Chocolate Almond is alive and well, at least in the mid Atlantic region. I have a carton of it in my freezer at this moment.

I also have lactose intolerance, and life is too short for bad ice cream like that disgusting soy glop. Lactaid now makes a couple of flavors of LF ice cream, although we've only tried the vanilla, which was o.k. for people who like vanilla and I don't. My main solution is Lactaid pills, which for me work quite well. The other trick around here is homemade ice cream created with a countertop ice cream maker, fresh ingredients and lactase enzyme. Treat the cream 24 hours in advance, and then create away!
Homemade is an excellent suggestion. I might have to run out and buy a maker.

The pills don't work as well for me as I would like. However lactose free products have been a real boon. Lactaid yogurt and cottage cheese were available for a short period where I lived in TN, but it appears that demand was too low and they disappeared from the dairy case after a few months. I have not found them where I now live in FL.

I shopped Publix last night on the way home and found Breyers lactose free in chocolate. I made a cone last night after dinner and it was okay. I think I prefer the vanilla.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
My experience with home made it that it is wonderful if you eat it right away. However, if you freeze it for later, it is like a bullet. What is the secret?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Carob.

Haagen Dazs had it back in the 70s.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
My experience with home made it that it is wonderful if you eat it right away. However, if you freeze it for later, it is like a bullet. What is the secret?
Higher fat content, less water, more mixing time is my solution. If you use "thin" things like skim milk the water in them does freeze rock hard. Fat keeps the ice cream softer, as does incorporating more air. You can also use various nasty gum additives to alter the texture, but I don't.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I do a standard 2 cups cream 1 cup half and half, 2/3 cup of sugar base. If I want to minimize freezng solid I add 6 egg yolks heated in a double boiler.

Last edited by ghia74; Jul 24, 2014 at 6:25 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA
Ah, butter pecan, that's another great one! Thanks for reminding me!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:08 pm

Vanilla
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:21 am

lemon and mango))))))
Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
Jeni's Salty Caramel - hands down.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
That is easy, chip and mint.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Had Murphy's in Dublin last night. Yummy
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:09 pm

Always Cherry Garcia or Pistachio Pistachio from B&J, or Cherry Vanilla from the Cornell Dairy Bar in Ithaca
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I would suggest using the French method rather than the Philadelphia method. A French base is basically a custard made with heavy cream, half&half, a large number of egg yolks, and sugar. This makes a very smooth and creamy ice cream. Also, make sure the custard mixture is chilled thoroughly (overnight is best) before putting it in the machine. The faster the custard freezes the fewer/smaller the ice crystals which results in a very good texture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.