Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pink Pineapple

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I worked 12-hour shifts at the Dole cannery the summer I got out of school. You see a lot of pineapples each night.

There were three lady supervisors in charge of the entire canning floor, and line ladies in charge of each line.

Only a couple times that summer, a 'sweet pine' came down the line. When one was spotted, the table lady immediately called the three supervisors. They got first bite, then the table lady, and then the workers. I didn't really understand the first time - I cut a bite, popped it in my mouth and almost melted. Of course, I immediately went for a second bite and got my knuckles rapped with the table lady's knife.

'Sweet pine' was never a whole pineapple - only part. You learn to recognize it. It is part of the pineapple that has reached absolute perfect peak ripeness and when you see it on the line, it's only been picked less than a day earlier.

It was so rare that there was a strict protocol in the cannery - the three supervisors, all of whom had been working there for many years, still dropped everything for a rare bite of 'sweet pine'.

I will never taste 'sweet pine' again in my lifetime - the odds are simply against. But all these years later, I still remember the taste. Probably the closest I will ever get to tasting ambrosia.
You were in Hawaii or elsewhere?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is there even more significance if it's upside down?
Old Dec 14, 2023, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Is there even more significance if it's upside down?
Only if it's on a door.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I figured when GMO came up in post 1 that this thread would devolve into questionable logic about plant science (again) but it’s really outdone itself in a few posts.
SPN Lifer and JBord like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I figured when GMO came up in post 1 that this thread would devolve into questionable logic about plant science (again) but it’s really outdone itself in a few posts.
Meanwhile, the pineapple isn't really pink. It is just the appearance of pink.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I worked 12-hour shifts at the Dole cannery the summer I got out of school. You see a lot of pineapples each night.

There were three lady supervisors in charge of the entire canning floor, and line ladies in charge of each line.

Only a couple times that summer, a 'sweet pine' came down the line. When one was spotted, the table lady immediately called the three supervisors. They got first bite, then the table lady, and then the workers. I didn't really understand the first time - I cut a bite, popped it in my mouth and almost melted. Of course, I immediately went for a second bite and got my knuckles rapped with the table lady's knife.

'Sweet pine' was never a whole pineapple - only part. You learn to recognize it. It is part of the pineapple that has reached absolute perfect peak ripeness and when you see it on the line, it's only been picked less than a day earlier.

It was so rare that there was a strict protocol in the cannery - the three supervisors, all of whom had been working there for many years, still dropped everything for a rare bite of 'sweet pine'.

I will never taste 'sweet pine' again in my lifetime - the odds are simply against. But all these years later, I still remember the taste. Probably the closest I will ever get to tasting ambrosia.
I totally get it. We have a home in the southern Philippines.

Anywhere they grow pineapple and allow them to fully ripen in the fields, you're going to have the sweetest and tastiest pineapple ever. You can smell the pineapple from several feet away.
braslvr and LapLap like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bensyd
And how will I know which is the ham and which is the pineapple on the pizza?
Bolding mine. I don't care what color the pineapple is, and am generally amused by the whole GMO discussion. I would try it.

But your question is shocking and most definitely defies all natural laws. If we need more legislation banning the foods we eat, this should come long before a pink pineapple.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Very long time career produce guy told me the easier it is to pull a frond out of the top means the riper the pineapple.
I've heard that too but In my experience of growing the things, I've learned it means the top of the pineapple is rotten and dying.

The commercial pineapple cultivars are like the Cavendish bananas. May flower (purple blue flower) but there's no seeds.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Dec 15, 2023 at 3:11 pm
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord
Bolding mine. I don't care what color the pineapple is, and am generally amused by the whole GMO discussion.
Me too.

Originally Posted by JBord
But your question is shocking and most definitely defies all natural laws. If we need more legislation banning the foods we eat, this should come long before a pink pineapple.
Hawaiian pizza is Canada's greatest gift to food. This is accepted science. It does feel as though pineapple on pizza is more contentious than GMO food.

You can't get good pineapples in Australia – they're too sour – but I had a place in Costa Rica a few years ago and one of those pineapples would fill the house with a sweet smell they were so good.
corky and JBord like this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by work2fly
I totally get it. We have a home in the southern Philippines.

Anywhere they grow pineapple and allow them to fully ripen in the fields, you're going to have the sweetest and tastiest pineapple ever. You can smell the pineapple from several feet away.
I have worked at several pineapple farms and shipping ports in Mindinao. At certain times of the year, juice will literally squirt out when the top is cut off. Incredible stuff. Most/all of that fruit goes to Asia and Europe. None to the US unfortunately.
SPN Lifer, work2fly and bensyd like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 7:17 pm

Wow, that sounds like an amazing experience! It must have been a special treat for working so hard at the cannery. Thank you for sharing your story, makes me want to plant my own pineapple, maybe someday I can taste that rare sweet pine. 😊
Old Jan 31, 2024, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by thomasfly
Wow, that sounds like an amazing experience! It must have been a special treat for working so hard at the cannery. Thank you for sharing your story, makes me want to plant my own pineapple, maybe someday I can taste that rare sweet pine. 😊
Depending on where you are located it might not be difficult, although wait time could be a while.... search Youtube for growing pineapple from grocery. Keep in mind that you need to use a pineapple sourced from within the US if you are in the US (they irradiate a good chunk of produce that they import so those would likely not be viable)
Old Feb 3, 2024, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Big difference (IMnshO) between cross-breeding and GMO. Cross-breeding theoretically could occur in nature, should the pineapple and tomato (or pick your fruit) be able to conceive in nature. If the good folks at UC Davis decide to genetically modify the Ananas with lycopene, troublesome. Who knows - a spiky tomato could escape the lab!
frflies likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Depending on where you are located it might not be difficult, although wait time could be a while.... search Youtube for growing pineapple from grocery. Keep in mind that you need to use a pineapple sourced from within the US if you are in the US (they irradiate a good chunk of produce that they import so those would likely not be viable)
Came back from a 6 week trip and found that one of my myriad of pineapples has put out a bud. This currently-fruiting plant was the top from a pineapple that fruited in 2021 from a pineapple purchased from a supermarket in 2018. So this new plant is putting out a 2nd generation fruit in a very non-tropical country.

IME, takes 3 years from top rooting to fruiting. The 1st plant put out a fruit 3 years later and again 2 years after that. Another supermarket top also took 3 years to put out its first fruit.

As an aside, was in Malaysia and there's a whole bunch of cultivars, none of which are like the Dole/Del Monte sterile cultivars found in N. America. Taste different too.
corky likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Came back from a 6 week trip and found that one of my myriad of pineapples has put out a bud. This currently-fruiting plant was the top from a pineapple that fruited in 2021 from a pineapple purchased from a supermarket in 2018. So this new plant is putting out a 2nd generation fruit in a very non-tropical country.

IME, takes 3 years from top rooting to fruiting. The 1st plant put out a fruit 3 years later and again 2 years after that. Another supermarket top also took 3 years to put out its first fruit.

As an aside, was in Malaysia and there's a whole bunch of cultivars, none of which are like the Dole/Del Monte sterile cultivars found in N. America. Taste different too.
I'd be curious to see if the flavour improves. A properly ripe fruit should be quite sweet as all the sugars should have developed. It should be easier to grow pineapples and other tropical fruits in YVR vs. YYZ. There have been times I've been tempted to try growing certain tropical fruits over here but most would not survive the first winter out. If I had a proper greenhouse, it might be possible, but in the city? not a chance. That said, maybe calamansi..... or as they call it in Malaysia, "Lime joo"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.