Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food mysteries that keep us up at night.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:19 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have two as of late......

1. Why don't the raisins in Raisin Bran all settle to the bottom of the box?

2. How do waffle makers know when a waffle is done?

Other food related enigmas?
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by david55

1. the large cereal flakes form a matrix support. if they were all crushed, the raisins would settle.
2. simple temp sensor. lights up when the iron is hot, turns off because the batter is cold, and lights up when batter reaches sufficient temperature.
SPN Lifer, TGarza and JBord like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david55

For me, the enigmas are more about "how and why did someone decide to eat this, and how did such a foul-tasting item become a common food?"
Your first point's object, raisins, are a case in point. How about we just throw the grapes away when they go bad instead? Nasty little critters.
But also "spoiled" items like yogurt or sauerkraut. I love sauerkraut and most fermented foods. But I still wonder. It's not that I don't understand the history of the food or fermentation as a food preservation method, I just want to go back in time and meet the person who found a forgotten barrel of old cabbage sitting in their basement a year later and decided to go find a fork. And I'd want to see the other daredevil things they tasted before and after that discovery that didn't turn out so well.
cblaisd, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
For me, the enigmas are more about "how and why did someone decide to eat this, and how did such a foul-tasting item become a common food?"
Your first point's object, raisins, are a case in point. How about we just throw the grapes away when they go bad instead? Nasty little critters.
But also "spoiled" items like yogurt or sauerkraut. I love sauerkraut and most fermented foods. But I still wonder. It's not that I don't understand the history of the food or fermentation as a food preservation method, I just want to go back in time and meet the person who found a forgotten barrel of old cabbage sitting in their basement a year later and decided to go find a fork. And I'd want to see the other daredevil things they tasted before and after that discovery that didn't turn out so well.
That's what I'm always wondering about too. It's strange to think we wouldn't have some foods if it wasn't for the people who first tried eating them. I think it would be cool to go back in time and see those people inventing all the "strange" foods.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Until recently, I thought everyone loved raisins. I mean, who doesn't like oatmeal-raisin cookies, or raisins in bread pudding or carrot cake?
However in the past 3-4 years I've heard at least 6 people say they despise them. Shocking I say.
SPN Lifer and TGarza like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My food mystery is kopi luwak, a coffee that is wildly expensive that has passed through the digestive system of a civet cat. How was it first discovered? Who was the unnamed person who first recovered coffee beans from cat turds and brewed them. What prompted him to do it? Did he share it with friends? "Ah Rahim, come try my new coffee but don't ask where it came from."
gfunkdave and TGarza like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:48 am

I made it a point to try "sataw" aka "stink beans" in Southern Thailand. Even the most hardcore local restaurants looked at me funny when I inquired about them
Pleasant while eating.... interesting, to say the least, in the after effects
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Balut.
SPN Lifer and JBord like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For me it's the texture on raisins. Who thought this was pleasant to eat? And why ruin a good cookie with them?
cblaisd, Duke787 and JBord like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
I mean, who doesn't like oatmeal-raisin cookies, or raisins in bread pudding or carrot cake?
Me. My wife. Anyone with functioning taste buds.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
My food mystery is kopi luwak, a coffee that is wildly expensive that has passed through the digestive system of a civet cat.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Balut.
Perfect examples of my point. I was actually trying to remember the word "balut" and couldn't, but didn't feel like leaving a description just to have someone respond with the name!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:34 pm

Answer to most of these food questions-starvation inspired
braslvr and JBord like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More than 10 years ago, back when my teenager hadn’t yet learned to talk, my parents took her to London Zoo.

They had a buggy with them but the preferred method of transport was for LapChild to sit on Granddad’s shoulders and enjoy the world from up high.

At some point later in the day there arrived a mystery. A riddle that has never been resolved, a solution to which we can’t even guess at.

LapChild was discovered to be holding a piece of fried chicken in her little fist.

Wondering how it got there still keeps us up at night. How it got there we will never know. None of them ate fried chicken that day… except my daughter.
SPN Lifer, gaobest, deniah and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Who thought of live drunken shrimp - had it in Shanghai in 1998

and Sardinian cazu marzu - maggot cheese on dry crackers. Who considered this to be good?

we love foie gras and how’d this come to fruition?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
Until recently, I thought everyone loved raisins. I mean, who doesn't like oatmeal-raisin cookies, or raisins in bread pudding or carrot cake?
However in the past 3-4 years I've heard at least 6 people say they despise them. Shocking I say.
Get that rubbish outta my bread pudding!

Don't mind raisins in cookies, though.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:04 am

Why are hot dog buns stuffed with noodles?
Why is a bowl of ramen with a bowl of rice a meal?
Who thought to turn sea cucumber reproductive organs into
?
If a kitchen has two ingredients I like, and separately puts them on two pizzas, how come I can't get them both on one pizza?
And who first discovered what "food" was?

(ya got me; the first three deal with my current temporary residence being Japan.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.