Wiki Posts
Search

What's the deal with sour coffee?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What's the deal with sour coffee?

Why is it that sometimes when I get a coffee somewhere it tastes sour and not like coffee? Ordinarily I'd attribute it to cheap or bad coffee but I've noticed it mostly at fancy bakery cafes. Example: the coffee I got at Lost Larson (good bakery here in Chicago) tasted this way. I happened to buy a pound of bean there too since I was out and it's definitely the coffee, not something about how they make it. The beans are the Lost Larson blend from Metropolis, which is one of the fancypants artisinal roasters here (and I've heard many coffee snobs say Metropolis is one of the best in the country) so I assume this taste is intentional.

I might ordinarily say it's because it's a light roast, but for example when I get a light roast at Starbucks it doesn't taste sour. So...what's going on?

I'm referring to drip coffee here, not espresso. I know if you underextract espresso it will taste sour, but that's not what's going on here.

Last edited by gfunkdave; May 11, 2022 at 11:55 am
Old May 11, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I think I know the taste you're describing, and as best as I can tell, it is that "third wave" roasting style. I've had it from marginal to undrinkable, and it seems like the more it costs,the worse it is. Adding sugar or a splash of cream only seems to make it worse.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I think I know the taste you're describing, and as best as I can tell, it is that "third wave" roasting style. I've had it from marginal to undrinkable, and it seems like the more it costs,the worse it is. Adding sugar or a splash of cream only seems to make it worse.
Yes, that's it exactly! I don't understand how people like it.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:31 pm

Try and find the tasting notes and avoid words like raspberry sorbet, cherry, currant, hibiscus, tangerine and generally citrus or floral flavours. It seems to occur most in Ethiopian top end coffees. I now look for chocolate, fig, date, nuts in the tasting notes which all indicate a more rounded taste, to me at least. And I buy more South American coffee than African.
Old May 11, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yes, that's it exactly! I don't understand how people like it.
Add so many hops to beer that a spoon will stand up in it and people in the next building will know how bitter it is.
Make the beer so sour that a lemon seems like a candy bar.
Make the wine so natty that it tastes sort of like Doritos (no joke - personal experience).

Raise the price of all of these. Pretend they're rare.

People will line up for days and pay whatever you ask and you'll sell out quickly.

Glad I'm a couple of generations before that!
Old May 12, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: AS 75K
The biggest taste "dysfunction" with coffee I notice is when it's stale and burned/bitter. The older I get the more I just can't stand coffee that wasn't just brewed. Keurig with the Costco San Francisco Bay French Roast is my current go-to. I don't know that I can detect the things OP is talking about but also don't really buy coffee anywhere as it's just a constant disappointment.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
The biggest taste "dysfunction" with coffee I notice is when it's stale and burned/bitter. The older I get the more I just can't stand coffee that wasn't just brewed. Keurig with the Costco San Francisco Bay French Roast is my current go-to. I don't know that I can detect the things OP is talking about but also don't really buy coffee anywhere as it's just a constant disappointment.
If you had it you would know. But since you're "older" you may not be patronizing hipster $6 a small drip wait a half hour coffee joints in your "old age." SF Bay Costco French Roast in the 3lb bags is my home brew. Nice dark roast without that Peet's "burnt" taste.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If you had it you would know. But since you're "older" you may not be patronizing hipster $6 a small drip wait a half hour coffee joints in your "old age." SF Bay Costco French Roast in the 3lb bags is my home brew. Nice dark roast without that Peet's "burnt" taste.
how do you store 3 pounds of coffee? I now buy 1/2-pound bags of mixed beans at Martha & bros. Bean blends.

since I make coffee at home, I almost never get coffee outside my house. When I get the beans, I buy an iced tea (zero ice) for my spouse to take home. When we went to Disneyland, I just drank the wretched hotel coffee except the final day when we intentionally woke late and then I got coffee & brekky at SBUX near our hyatt house. I am a pure American so I prefer to only buy Starbucks which is an American company. I try to eschew the coffee brands (peets caribou et al) owned by that German conglomerate even though I still shop at Trader Joe’s.
Old May 12, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
how do you store 3 pounds of coffee? I now buy 1/2-pound bags of mixed beans at Martha & bros. Bean blends.

since I make coffee at home, I almost never get coffee outside my house. When I get the beans, I buy an iced tea (zero ice) for my spouse to take home. When we went to Disneyland, I just drank the wretched hotel coffee except the final day when we intentionally woke late and then I got coffee & brekky at SBUX near our hyatt house. I am a pure American so I prefer to only buy Starbucks which is an American company. I try to eschew the coffee brands (peets caribou et al) owned by that German conglomerate even though I still shop at Trader Joe’s.
That's nice.
Old May 13, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So weird...the Costco Starbucks French Roast is what tastes burned to me. I love Peet's...Major Dickason is my go-to.

Though this morning I mixed the sour beans and the Costco Starbucks French Roast burned beans and the resulting coffee is pretty good.
work2fly likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
So weird...the Costco Starbucks French Roast is what tastes burned to me. I love Peet's...Major Dickason is my go-to.

Though this morning I mixed the sour beans and the Costco Starbucks French Roast burned beans and the resulting coffee is pretty good.
We have a local roaster who mixes light and dark roasts for some of their blends, with very good results.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's nice.
bless your heart :-)
Old May 13, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reminds me of my Alaska Airlines mimosas - you take bad bubbles and bad juice, and put them all together, and have a not-so-bad refreshing beverage.
princeville likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reminds me of my Alaska Airlines mimosas - you take bad bubbles and bad juice, and put them all together, and have a not-so-bad refreshing beverage.
especially when free!
Old May 14, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: AS 75K
LOL.... this is sooooo true. I've worked in the restaurant/bar biz off and on for years and the "juice" (unless fresh-squeezed) comes in some chemically stabilized concentrated form that allows it to sit in bags a room temperature for decades until it's mixed from "the gun" (at the bar that dispenses all the basic things - soda/tonic, etc.). The Champagne to make said Mimosa? The absolute cheapest you can get but still probably (marginally) better quality than the OJ. As a bartender my standard is about 8:1 cheap champagne to barely palatable OJ. If I'm going to poison people at least they can feel good while it's happening!!
mradey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.