Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

City Market, Mexico City

Spices. Yep.
braslvr and GW McLintock like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
My local supermarket (Key Food) is by no means my favorite, but I made out very well tonight. They had everything that was advertised in the circular and then some unadvertised items also, including a five-pound (!) bag of whiting fillets. I spent around $66 but "saved" over $45 and have enough protein items to last a few weeks.

-J.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I'm living in Maui and ended up remodeling a condo my wife just bought (labor shortage, our contractor bailed at the last minute - long story). Anyway, the condo is a 30 second walk form an ABC Store which I've found to be outstanding. For those not familiar, ABC Stores are in a lot of tourist destinations and are basically a clean convenience store with a few more offerings. They have all the standard food/drink goodies but some (the one I'm near) also have an amazing deli/restaurant. They actually cook up a full prime rib each day and sell it until it's gone for example. And it's REALLY good. They also have really good sandwiches, fresh fruit/veggie packs and, of course, all the drinks you could imagine (including beer/wine/liquor). Beyond that you can get tourist goodies like T-shirts, mugs, snorkel sets, beach towels and things like that. Prices are actually very competitive in most cases. Pretty much in line with Safeway for like items. The one next to me is even a gas station..... and you just can't beat gas station prime rib!
corky and FlyerEC like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:29 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
In the UK , Sainsbury & Waitrose .

Wholefoods
Old May 20, 2022, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We love eating at abc in Kapalua (Maui). Is the gas station abc by Wailea?
Old May 20, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gaobest
We love eating at abc in Kapalua (Maui). Is the gas station abc by Wailea?
No, it's the one in South Kihei at Kamole Beach just a couple miles north of Wailea. This ABC is just slightly smaller than the Island Gourmet (same outfit just a different name) in The Shops at Wailea. The Wailea one has a few more menu offerings and fresh (raw) meat/fish that you can take home and grill/cook. Otherwise, it's very similar. I've always been fascinated by the ABC store concept. Only in tourist areas but where they are there are LOTS of them. The Shops of Wailea for example has three - two ABC Stores and the Island Gourmet.... and the mall isn't really that big. I was in Waikiki a couple months ago and there is literally one on every block in parts of the downtown/oceanfront area.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Wholefoods
Waitrose quality and shopping experience is outstanding but, be prepared to pay for it. When wife and daughter lived here, i'd spend close on £300 a week. And that was during the pandemic, with the cost of living going up, i dread to think what it is now. I changed to sainsburys and will probably downshift again to Tesco once I've converted my nectar points to avios.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Wholefoods
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Waitrose quality and shopping experience is outstanding but, be prepared to pay for it. When wife and daughter lived here, i'd spend close on £300 a week. And that was during the pandemic, with the cost of living going up, i dread to think what it is now. I changed to sainsburys and will probably downshift again to Tesco once I've converted my nectar points to avios.
Yes , know that .. appreciate Waitrose .. also “ Marks & Sparks “ .. , glad for Sainsbury
Old May 22, 2022, 10:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

RoK

Does anyone have a recommendation for supermarkets in South Korea?

They fascinate me a bit because I always felt like it was walking through somewhere bucolic, with all of the sesame seeds, herbs, and dried roots available. Plus, they're (obviously) the best places to find Gilim Tom's brand of flavored almonds. But maybe there's one supermarket company that's a cut above the rest ....
Old May 22, 2022, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Does anyone have a recommendation for supermarkets in South Korea?

They fascinate me a bit because I always felt like it was walking through somewhere bucolic, with all of the sesame seeds, herbs, and dried roots available. Plus, they're (obviously) the best places to find Gilim Tom's brand of flavored almonds. But maybe there's one supermarket company that's a cut above the rest ....
carrefour? :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.