Neither
7.25%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Pancakes or Waffles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
No crepes or palatschinken???

Definitely prefer freshly made waffles from a proper waffle iron over pancakes.

If pre-made, sitting in a buffet tray for hours, then pancakes.
Miguelado likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
I had been a team pancake person for the first four decades of my life, then went to Iceland and had on three separate occasions waffles that completely changed my world of breakfast food. Now, waffles, always waffles.

But if we're talking being in the US, then I'll take an IHOP over a Waffle House any day.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I grew up in a household where waffles were made only for Sunday night dinner, my father made them. Alas my parents are both gone so I have no idea how the tradition started. However, I continue the tradition using their waffle iron that was one of their wedding presents. The waffle iron is now over 60 years old.

As for pancakes, there are pancakes and the there are buckwheat pancakes. If you want to experience buckwheat pancakes, the Preston County, WV Buckwheat Festival is held in the fall in Kingwood, WV. Buckwheat pancakes are served all day long. Trivia buckwheat is not a wheat.

As which I would choose, probably pancakes, but in general most are poorly made, especially those made at a restaurant. They are tough and dry. There are the exceptions.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME waffles are reliably good while pancakes are hit or miss, with a lot of very disappointing misses.
I've had plenty of crappy waffles, but the worst of them don't even come close to the worst pancakes. The last time I ordered pancakes was a few years ago at the Laylow in Waikiki. I could eat some of the top one around the edges, and that was about it. A huge pile of mush. The server offered to take it off the bill, but it was pretty much the full use of the F&B credit I had, and I really didn't want anything else.

I also don't get the fascination of the auto-pancake machines in the AS lounge, or hotel buffays, etc. Perhaps the novelty the first time you push, but that's about it.
cblaisd, obscure2k and Calcifer like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I grew up in a household where waffles were made only for Sunday night dinner, my father made them. Alas my parents are both gone so I have no idea how the tradition started. However, I continue the tradition using their waffle iron that was one of their wedding presents. The waffle iron is now over 60 years old.

As for pancakes, there are pancakes and the there are buckwheat pancakes. If you want to experience buckwheat pancakes, the Preston County, WV Buckwheat Festival is held in the fall in Kingwood, WV. Buckwheat pancakes are served all day long. Trivia buckwheat is not a wheat.

As which I would choose, probably pancakes, but in general most are poorly made, especially those made at a restaurant. They are tough and dry. There are the exceptions.
The Pantry in Los Angeles serves Buckwheat Pancakes and they are very good..
Geogirl1234 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:34 pm

Hands down waffles. The geometric arrangement of syrup & butter cells appeals to my sense of order. Pancakes are pure syrup river chaos machines ensuring areas I won't get to for awhile turn into a less appetizing mush.

Not that I don't enjoy a small stack now and then...
Old Mar 26, 2022, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I prefer waffles — especially when slightly crispy, topped with fresh fruit, real whipped cream, and maybe some shaved chocolate.
Originally Posted by corky
The answer is really both...depends on the day. Under duress I chose one though.
Quit waffling and answer the question.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:18 pm

French toast. Easier to make and lots of variety.

Although that said, I wouldn't mind trying those japanese fluffy pancakes...
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've had plenty of crappy waffles, but the worst of them don't even come close to the worst pancakes. The last time I ordered pancakes was a few years ago at the Laylow in Waikiki. I could eat some of the top one around the edges, and that was about it. A huge pile of mush. The server offered to take it off the bill, but it was pretty much the full use of the F&B credit I had, and I really didn't want anything else.

I also don't get the fascination of the auto-pancake machines in the AS lounge, or hotel buffays, etc. Perhaps the novelty the first time you push, but that's about it.
I don't either, although I do enjoy using the waffle makers at hotel buffets.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by kipper
I don't either, although I do enjoy using the waffle makers at hotel buffets.
Funny. I've had probably 300 chances to use those things, and not once have I done it. I did try the pancake machine once (the only time I've seen one), and they were tolerable. In general, I skip hotel complimentary breakfasts anyway.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 4:00 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Do Jules Destrooper Waffles Count?

Or, maybe the correct answer is whichever comes with coconut?
BamaVol and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by braslvr
Funny. I've had probably 300 chances to use those things, and not once have I done it. I did try the pancake machine once (the only time I've seen one), and they were tolerable. In general, I skip hotel complimentary breakfasts anyway.
When I'm on vacation, I typically grab breakfast at the hotel, skip lunch, and then grab dinner somewhere, so in the US, I enjoy using the waffle makers as an extra treat.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm in the Neither category. I feel weighed down if I eat a lot of carbs for breakfast, so I stick with proteins. But in a starvation situation, if I "had to choose", it would be waffles, hopefully the lighter and crispier variety. Then again, if we count a crepe as a pancake and fill it with something good, I might change my mind.

It would be similarly interesting to see a similar poll about breakfast egg preparation, but I'm not going to open that can of yolks (or not).
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
one thing I still don’t ever want - fried chicken and waffles. I prefer them totally separate. I also don’t like Korean cold noodles and I don’t like sweet noodles. Certain combos just aren’t for me.

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
No crepes or palatschinken???

Definitely prefer freshly made waffles from a proper waffle iron over pancakes.

If pre-made, sitting in a buffet tray for hours, then pancakes.
so for a buffet, it’s neither for me. I prefer either that are freshly made.

Originally Posted by northinsouth
I had been a team pancake person for the first four decades of my life, then went to Iceland and had on three separate occasions waffles that completely changed my world of breakfast food. Now, waffles, always waffles.

But if we're talking being in the US, then I'll take an IHOP over a Waffle House any day.
how are waffles different in Iceland? I love Walker bros and still haven’t had Waffle House

Originally Posted by braslvr
I love hotel free meals!!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm in the Neither category. I feel weighed down if I eat a lot of carbs for breakfast, so I stick with proteins. But in a starvation situation, if I "had to choose", it would be waffles, hopefully the lighter and crispier variety. Then again, if we count a crepe as a pancake and fill it with something good, I might change my mind.
Me too. I'm not a huge sugar fan either, and pancakes are just carbs and sugar which isn't a great start to the day. Waffles seem to me to be worse on both fronts. Maybe once a year I'll get a breakfast craving for pancakes. I don't mind a crepe every now and then, but it's not really something I look out for.

Egg preference varies a lot for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.