Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking a break from alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
My suggestion is to go to sleep and wake up in February.
corky, gfunkdave, LapLap and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
My suggestion is to go to sleep and wake up in February.
I would have gladly done this during most of 2020 (and wake up in 2021... maybe Jan or Feb)!
corky and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Re Elderflower cordial, I find the Bottle Green version is very widely available and is ok. I went off the whole thing while my children were in school as that was invariably what was served to parents at all gatherings and I grew so that I couldn't face the sweetness - but I'm over that now.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Re Elderflower cordial, I find the Bottle Green version is very widely available and is ok. I went off the whole thing while my children were in school as that was invariably what was served to parents at all gatherings and I grew so that I couldn't face the sweetness - but I'm over that now.
It is probably better cut with some sparkling water (if you are on the wagon). Otherwise, I stand by my recommendation of Proseco with it. Maybe vodka too.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I’m similarly attempting a dry January. I don’t drink a whole lot - I’ve been averaging a bottle of wine per week or ~6 beers per week depending on my taste.

Navarro vineyard makes fancy non-alcoholic wine, I’m actually tempted to grab some, there are also a few types of non-alcoholic ciders that are good.

Otherwise, it’s filtered tap water for me or sparkling water if I’m feeling something different.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I looked for elderflower cordial at Whole Foods yesterday and didn't find it.

So instead I went to the pot store and bought some gummies. I don't much care for pot usually but one 5mg gummy was rather pleasant. My parents scoffed and said that's a barely-even-there amount, but they're old hippies.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Well, I looked for elderflower cordial at Whole Foods yesterday and didn't find it.

So instead I went to the pot store and bought some gummies. I don't much care for pot usually but one 5mg gummy was rather pleasant. My parents scoffed and said that's a barely-even-there amount, but they're old hippies.
It probably won't be in the booze section. Did you ask a staffer? Or maybe you need to go to a bigger WF. Do you not have a World Market near you? LOL about your parents....enjoy the gummies and good idea to start small. You can always take more but you can't take less.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
It probably won't be in the booze section. Did you ask a staffer? Or maybe you need to go to a bigger WF. Do you not have a World Market near you? LOL about your parents....enjoy the gummies and good idea to start small. You can always take more but you can't take less.
I did ask. I don’t think she knew what I wanted because she took me to the vitamins/supplements aisle. I combed through the juice aisle and booze section.

No World Markets near here, and this is the only Whole Foods for maybe 60-70 miles. I like the limeade and club soda idea...will get some limeade next time.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received a sampler of apertifs as a birthday gift last month. They are very nice and, for me, if I have one just before dinner, an apertif enhances the flavor of food. They say they stimulate the appetite, but that's not a problem for me ( ).
They came from a company called Haus.
https://drink.haus/
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did ask. I don’t think she knew what I wanted because she took me to the vitamins/supplements aisle. I combed through the juice aisle and booze section.

No World Markets near here, and this is the only Whole Foods for maybe 60-70 miles. I like the limeade and club soda idea...will get some limeade next time.
Bummer. Maybe try Target. Or maybe just give up!
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Wow - my 60-something friends think it’s much stronger now compared to the 80s!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by gaobest
Wow - my 60-something friends think it’s much stronger now compared to the 80s!
I can’t comment, having given it up 40 years ago, but my 39 year old son says is way stronger than what was available in the 90’s.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Looks like I will break the January-free alcohol thing... will probably have a couple of beers tonight.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Looks like I will break the January-free alcohol thing... will probably have a couple of beers tonight.
Noooooooo! In the words of Jon Bon Jovi, you’re halfway there. Stick with it, dude.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Dont give in to peer pressure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.