Search

Good value wine for Christmas present?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Good value wine for Christmas present?

I know Christmas is over, but I still gotta get something for a family member. He's into wine. Any suggestion for something good $100 or less? I would prefer to order online and then have it shipped to MA.

Thx.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of wine does he like?

Turley zinfandels are $40ish-$70ish and always crowd pleasers but are also fruit bombs, which not everyone likes. https://www.turleywinecellars.com/

Freeman Pinot is a great price ($40-up) for the quality in California Pinot noir. . https://www.freemanwinery.com/

Beaux Frčres is my favorite US Pinot noir ($80 and up), and my oenophile friend agrees. https://beauxfreres.com/
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
What kind of wine does he like?

Turley zinfandels are $40ish-$70ish and always crowd pleasers but are also fruit bombs, which not everyone likes. https://www.turleywinecellars.com/

Freeman Pinot is a great price ($40-up) for the quality in California Pinot noir. . https://www.freemanwinery.com/

Beaux Frčres is my favorite US Pinot noir ($80 and up), and my oenophile friend agrees. https://beauxfreres.com/
lol! That's a good question. I really don't know. I bought him the Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye a couple of years ago when it won an award. He seemed to like it. I figure I would go with wine just for something different.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look. I'm assuming free shipping to MA? Life in MA is miserable with COVID and winter right now. I'm sure he could use a drink.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:55 am

Caymus, silver oak
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thelark
Caymus, silver oak
Thx for the suggestion, but can you please tell me where to buy it?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you’re not sure, maybe just get him a gift card to his favorite liquor store?

Most places do free shipping if you buy a case or half case, not for a single bottle.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Thx for the suggestion, but can you please tell me where to buy it?
almost any half decent store will have them
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you’re not sure, maybe just get him a gift card to his favorite liquor store?

Most places do free shipping if you buy a case or half case, not for a single bottle.
Freeman doesn't seem to do online orders. I don't see a way to add it to a shopping cart.

Beaux Frčres cost $26 to ship a bottle to MA. Ouch...
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
As you have already learned, shipping on a single bottle direct from a vineyard is going to be killer. I would go visit your local liquor store, one with a good reputation for wine, and ask for a few suggestions. The fact of the matter is that there are literally millions of good options at that price point...in fact, there is little sense (IMO) to spend that much, buy two bottles at $40-50 a piece.

Wine.com has better shipping rates and also has some decent labels it its stable of products. If you have an AMEX, they did have a $30 cash back on $100 offer going recently (accessed via AMEX offers page on the account).
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PV_Premier ’s advice is the right call. But first try to find out what your friend likes.

For Freeman, tap the menu, then tap Acquire to get to the store. You need to be on the mailing list and order when they release new wines...sorry.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
As you have already learned, shipping on a single bottle direct from a vineyard is going to be killer. I would go visit your local liquor store, one with a good reputation for wine, and ask for a few suggestions. The fact of the matter is that there are literally millions of good options at that price point...in fact, there is little sense (IMO) to spend that much, buy two bottles at $40-50 a piece.

Wine.com has better shipping rates and also has some decent labels it its stable of products. If you have an AMEX, they did have a $30 cash back on $100 offer going recently (accessed via AMEX offers page on the account).
PV_Premier ’s advice is the right call. But first try to find out what your friend likes.

For Freeman, tap the menu, then tap Acquire to get to the store. You need to be on the mailing list and order when they release new wines...sorry.
I had no idea Wine.com was even a legitimate commerce site. I think I'll find something to order from them since they'll ship to MA. I just randomly selected a bottle and it's ~$16 to ship to MA. Seems reasonable enough.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lsquare
I had no idea Wine.com was even a legitimate commerce site. I think I'll find something to order from them since they'll ship to MA. I just randomly selected a bottle and it's ~$16 to ship to MA. Seems reasonable enough.
Wine.com is a reputable site. Prices aren't the best, but for a gift bottle here and there, from a company familiar with interstate shipping, I'd not hesitate to use them. They used to have a warehouse with a small retail shop in west Berkeley, where I'd stop from time to time.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have said, I think it is best to narrow down to what his wine preferences are. Unless you think he is a real connoisseur, I would get 2 or 3 good bottles that are in the $30-$40 range each rather than 1 bottle of very expensive wine.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Wine.com is a reputable site. Prices aren't the best, but for a gift bottle here and there, from a company familiar with interstate shipping, I'd not hesitate to use them. They used to have a warehouse with a small retail shop in west Berkeley, where I'd stop from time to time.
Originally Posted by corky
As others have said, I think it is best to narrow down to what his wine preferences are. Unless you think he is a real connoisseur, I would get 2 or 3 good bottles that are in the $30-$40 range each rather than 1 bottle of very expensive wine.
Neither me nor him is a connoisseur. I really don't know anything about wine. Can one of you just a pick a bottle in the $30-40 range for me from wine.com? Just pretend I'm buying it for you. What would you drink? I think this is one of those situations where it's the thought that counts. I don't want to waste anymore time on this. You guys just name it and I'll buy it!
Old Dec 28, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Assuming we're going with a red, here are a few picks that your friend would likely not have tried before (based on your comments) and are all really great wines for the price (some on sale at wine.com)

Catena Alta Malbec 2016 from Argentina - $45 on sale
Antinori Pian delle Vigne Brunello 2014 - $60 on sale

Both of the above are "second tier" wines from fabulous vineyards and winemakers, the Malbec is a heavier / stronger wine, the Antinori easier to pair with a meal. The 2 below are from Spain and are also very "easy" to drink.

On the lighter side the Alta Vina Ardanza Reserva 2012 from Rioja - $40
The Vall Llach Embruix Priorat is another "second" - they have a 2017 which I haven't tried but the other ones I've tried have all been crowd pleasers $27 which is on the high side for this wine

If I were going to receive one of the above, I'd go for either the Rioja or the Malbec to get the best "return on investment"
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.