Wiki Posts
Search

Hershey's chocolate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
Ok. Give me the name of a mainstream chocolate producer in the US that produces quality chocolate please.
Dandelion
vosges

ive even seen Vosges at Fortnum in 2010 for a tenner - it was only $5 in USA. At that time a tenner was like $15 but now it’s $12

dandelion is amazing and isn’t cheap - like $8 for a bar. It’s really good.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Sorry, I wish I could, but I gave up on mainstream chocolate years ago. When I travel, I seek out the small chocolate shops that make their own. I’ve even flown to Belgium for the sole purpose of going to my two favorite shops in Bruges for a dark chocolate fix.
i was fine with Pierre Marcolini (Bxls)

I don’t eat that much chocolate and prefer dark when possible. There are so many great confectionary treats.

reese’s peanut butter cups are good and cheap compared to Justin’s, but I otherwise don’t eat Hershey. Our household overall prefers dark.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 6:04 am

Vegemite, that only an imitation of the real stiff Marmite (but not in nZ where Marmite is another product!). A really love it/hate it product.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 6:27 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Although, the UK Marmite is a repulsive concoction, compared to the milder Australian Vegemite. 🤭
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:39 am

So many great American chocolate options

Ok. Give me the name of a mainstream chocolate producer in the US that produces quality chocolate please.
You’d have to define mainstream. For argument’s sake, let’s assume it’s something you can find in more than one supermarket chain. Here are a few: Theo, Raaka, Guittard, Scharffen Berger.

There are also many American chocolate makers that are not quite mainstream, but still amazing: Castronovo, Charm School, Chequessett, Christopher Elbow, Donnelly, Fine & Raw, French Broad, Gotham, Harper Macaw, Manoa, Map, Michael Dunn, Philip Marks, Piety and Desire, S.K. Frey, Solstice, Somerville, Stone Grindz, Xocolatl. And those are just the ones I’ve tried that were fantastic. There’s an even longer list of American makers that are really good, but not, to me, amazing.

I’ve tasted my way through many European chocolates. There are many great ones, but also some pretty bad ones. Neither continent has a monopoly on good or bad chocolate.
corky likes this.

Last edited by vonmoishe; Aug 25, 2020 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by DC9
Although, the UK Marmite is a repulsive concoction, compared to the milder Australian Vegemite. 🤭
Marmite is a delicacy.

Originally Posted by vonmoishe
You’d have to define mainstream. For argument’s sake, let’s assume it’s something you can find in more than one supermarket chain. Here are a few: Theo, Raaka, Guittard, Scharffen Berger.

There are also many American chocolate makers that are not quite mainstream, but still amazing: Castronovo, Charm School, Chequessett, Christopher Elbow, Donnelly, Fine & Raw, French Broad, Gotham, Harper Macaw, Manoa, Map, Michael Dunn, Philip Marks, Piety and Desire, S.K. Frey, Solstice, Somerville, Stone Grindz, Xocolatl. And those are just the ones I’ve tried that were fantastic. There’s an even longer list of American makers that are really good, but not, to me, amazing.

I’ve tasted my way through many European chocolates. There are many great ones, but also some pretty bad ones. Neither continent has a monopoly on good or bad chocolate.
I've not heard of any of those brands - I will look out for them next time I am in the USA. Although I'm sure you'll agree that Milka and Cadbury are far superior to Hershey.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Marmite is a delicacy.

I've not heard of any of those brands - I will look out for them next time I am in the USA. Although I'm sure you'll agree that Milka and Cadbury are far superior to Hershey.
Hershey is gross. Many of the other brands aren't just available at any market, or you'll find them only regionally. Scharffenberger is now Hershey-owned but as far as I know, they've not yet ruined the quality. You may find that some mass-produced chocolate-ish products in the USA no longer have cocoa butter, which has been replaced with various oils. It has been this way for about a decade-plus.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vonmoishe

I think they are temporarily closed but try Chuao Chocalatier if you run across it. I also like Gayle's chocolate but i think it is very local only. I have not heard of most of your list so i imagine they are local as well.
For mass produced,i know Callebaut makes some of Trader Joe chocolate and it's very good .
Old Aug 25, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
NUTELLA all the way, period!

U!
Old Aug 25, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
FDA changed standards for chocolate several years ago at the behest of Hershey's and other commodity chocolate manufacturers. Previously FDA required some amount of cocoa butter in the chocolate. The current standards are :
"Milk Chocolate
Milk chocolate is the most popular type of chocolate in the United States. To be marketed as milk chocolate, a product must contain at least 10 percent chocolate liquor, at least 3.39 percent milkfat, and at least 12 percent milk solids."
www registrarcorp com fda-chocolate-standard-identity/

While i never particularly liked Hershey's chocolate prior to the change, after it turned into a total waste of money and calories.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
I don't usually comment, but since chocolate is my favorite food group, I must agree with those who don't like Hershey and prefer dark chocolate. I am partial to Lindt truffels, extra dark, myself. But when I was in Australia I found dark chocolate Kit Kats, and they were yummy. Never seen them here for some reason except one year at Halloween.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by picturegal
I don't usually comment, but since chocolate is my favorite food group, I must agree with those who don't like Hershey and prefer dark chocolate. I am partial to Lindt truffels, extra dark, myself. But when I was in Australia I found dark chocolate Kit Kats, and they were yummy. Never seen them here for some reason except one year at Halloween.
Hershey holds the license in the US for Kit Kat. This survived a sale by Rowntree to Nestle, but if Hershey is sold, the license is lost. I've read Hershey has invested heavily to ramp up production while experimenting with flavor(s). For now Japanese Kit Kats rule!
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Orchids
Hershey holds the license in the US for Kit Kat. This survived a sale by Rowntree to Nestle, but if Hershey is sold, the license is lost. I've read Hershey has invested heavily to ramp up production while experimenting with flavor(s). For now Japanese Kit Kats rule!
I've seen mint/dark chocolate Kit Kats and birthday cake Kit Kats.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
I've seen mint/dark chocolate Kit Kats and birthday cake Kit Kats.
The mint/dark chocolate must have been a success since they're adding a mocha/chocolate to the Duo line.
I saw Apple Pie Kit Kat while I was sleep-surfing the net, but not for purchase.

You mentioned Wilbur Buds upthread and if you've stopped at Lititz, PA, on a drive through Pennsylvania Dutch Country, you'll recall the aroma of chocolate in the air, all over town. Missing the last time we were there, I guess due to factory closing. Hope it's returned, as i read there was something of a renaissance happening. I think the Buds pre-date Hershey Kisses, but not certain.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by picturegal
...But when I was in Australia I found dark chocolate Kit Kats, and they were yummy. Never seen them here for some reason except one year at Halloween.
I bought dark chocolate Kit Kats (made for japan) at a Daly City korean supermarket and I’m sure other Asian groceries might have these.

I love the Japanese Kit Kats and am glad to be able to get them in different sf-Area shops.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The mint/dark chocolate must have been a success since they're adding a mocha/chocolate to the Duo line.
I saw Apple Pie Kit Kat while I was sleep-surfing the net, but not for purchase.

You mentioned Wilbur Buds upthread and if you've stopped at Lititz, PA, on a drive through Pennsylvania Dutch Country, you'll recall the aroma of chocolate in the air, all over town. Missing the last time we were there, I guess due to factory closing. Hope it's returned, as i read there was something of a renaissance happening. I think the Buds pre-date Hershey Kisses, but not certain.
I'd try the mocha/chocolate one. I have the birthday cake one in the fridge, but I haven't tried it yet.

I've driven through Lititz and there's a Dove factory in Elizabethtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.