Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "In-N-Out Burger" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 6:48 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
kind of like the repeated praise posted here no ?

--
Not really, no. Im sure you can come up with an example or two to the contrary, but my overall impression is that re-posters on here are either; a.) returning serve from the sort of post you just made out of the blue, or b.) are somehow relating a nuance of the place or specific recent experience.

Perhaps LAX/LAS strategies are the only praise-pieces that get repeated over & over and mostly from new posters who didnt feel like searching a zillion page thread.

While we are here...please direct me to your favorite Chicago burger. Im relatively new in town and havent found one that would break my Top 3-5 in NYC. Thanks! : )
Old May 5, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, SW
I live down the street from one. I go there maybe once a month and I love hamburgers. There are plenty of better hamburgers out there.
Old May 5, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
While we are here...please direct me to your favorite Chicago burger. Im relatively new in town and havent found one that would break my Top 3-5 in NYC. Thanks! : )
What is your top 3-5 in NYC? A family member had the burger at DB Bistro a few weeks back and it looked awfully delicious.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

Reality check time

In-N-Out is good for a CHAIN burger, there is far better to be had out there in independent foodland if one looks around. Problem is most people don’t so they think In-N-Out is a great burger.
+1

I really like In-N-Out for what it is: one of, if not the best fast food burger joint out there.

Their burgers are simply not comparable to say a 1/2 pound freshly ground and seasoned beef patty grilled over charcoal, served on a homemade bun with a few strips of applewood bacon and a small mound of maytag blue.

Now I'm hungry
Old May 5, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by work2fly

Their burgers are simply not comparable to say a 1/2 pound freshly ground and seasoned beef patty grilled over charcoal, served on a homemade bun with a few strips of applewood bacon and a small mound of maytag blue.

Now I'm hungry

That's the thing. They're not comparable because they are two completely different things, same in name only. Just like trying to compare tacos from Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and a real Mexican joint in San Diego. Personally, I would take In-N-Out anytime over the burger you described. I grill burgers at home all the time, and they're real good, but nothing like yours.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Here's the deal. Any child can make a burger as good as an In-n-Out
burger. Five Guys too (I mildly prefer In-n-Out). It's all a question of time and place,
though. When I'm on a 3-hour layover at LAX, can I get a decent lunch, the answer
is no - unless I do the In-n-Out trick.
Old May 6, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by irabk
In-N-Out is that good?
YES.

And I luurve the fact that they're practically right outside of all the major CA airports (SFO, OAK, LAX). It's easier to get picked up from the airport when I&O is used as a bribe...
Old May 6, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stupidhead
There's a semi-independent burger chain around here in New York called Goodburger. Their burgers are very good-and it's even cooked to order on a grill (and they'll cook it medium for you). But at $10 for a burger and french fries, it's a bit steep even if the burger's great.
I've been to Goodburger and can second that the burgers are pretty good. Though, can the price be attributed to the cost of doing business in Manhattan?

I also like the secret burger place in the Parker Meridian; when I went there last, the burgers were about $6-7 and was very good. Didn't like the wait though...
Old May 6, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by work2fly
+1

I really like In-N-Out for what it is: one of, if not the best fast food burger joint out there.

Now I'm hungry
You're missing the point entirely, no one is making In 'N Out to be some kind of mom and pop burger joint, everyone acknowledges it's a fast food burger chain. You can't compare that to a homemade or specialty type shop. Down here, Hodad's and Rocky's are two great local places, better than In 'N Out of course but different too. Unfortunately Hodad's is now overrun with idiotic tourists so it's tough for locals to get down there, fame has it's price.
Old May 6, 2009, 6:40 pm

Recently I saw a docu-thingy

on da toob about In-N -Out. I was impresssed.
So today I had the last (of a series of 5 spread out over as many months I'd guess) INO burger.
Unfortunately it was the least impressive of the lot. The patty was tinier than I recall, even from the store where I usually shopped, and it certainly was NOT cooked to my stated specifications. The bun looked artificially colored (read: unlikey and unappetizing) and the requested catsup and mustard were hardly in evidence. Neither was I asked if I wanted (additional) packets when I was handed my order.
I ate in the restaurant, did not use the drive-thru, did not order fries nor cheese. The lettuce was crispy, and the tomato slice generous, if bland.
On the few occasions I've Mickey D'd, there was typically a HUGE discrepancy between the appearance of the actual and the advertised. The above disparity was a first for me at INO. I doubt I'll be rushing back at any time soon...>blech<
Old May 6, 2009, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Interesting little article in the Los Angeles Times today:
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...4024099.column
Old May 7, 2009, 7:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nkedel
Even if you know the good independent burger places near you, they're harder to find on the road if you're pressed for time.
no doubts about this, it may be a large reason why many consumers go to fast food that they are aware of, I know I do, but am always hoping to find a blurb about where else to go instead of the "usual" fast food.
Originally Posted by UCBeau
Dude, you have got to get over yourself.
Those that have met me and know me, understand that I'm not infatuated with myself.
Seriously, it's just the internet and your rants about this (and other things) really have no bearing on one's enjoyment of an In 'N Out burger.
Was not a rant, too bad you feel that way (& would be curious where else you think I've ranted, send me a pm) I don't expect my comments to have a bearing on one's enjoyment of INO. Simply stating my belief(s).
It's a popular chain that a lot of people really like, let them like it and please don't pontificate about what you think is good and bad.
What are you expecting? Seriously, that is exactly what this and many other boards are about. I post what I think is good, you post what you think is good, you post that you've had this experience, etc etc etc, and hopefully the world becomes a better place or at least a place where one maximizes their enjoyment of it.
I'm sure if you named your favorite burger joint (if you stoop that low to consume ground beef patties like us troglodytes) there will be someone out there who'll criticize your choice.
Eat too many burgers and welcome feedback about the content in my posts.
So tomorrow I might go back to In 'N Out and enjoy a wonderful double-double and think of sweet willie and his rant against a burger chain I happen to enjoy.
Great and life goes on.
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Try searching the Chicago Forum for "burger", you'll find plenty of posts with great suggestions including what I feel is one of the best. BTW, I hope you have posted comments about your top burger places in the NYC forum !!@:-)@:-)
Old May 7, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Try searching the Chicago Forum for "burger", you'll find plenty of posts with great suggestions including what I feel is one of the best. BTW, I hope you have posted comments about your top burger places in the NYC forum !!@:-)@:-)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...ive-steak.html

Page 6 is where I am most firm abot my favorite choices...though the thread is really about quality burger & steak/$....which is different than a discussion about the numerator alone.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Short answer to the question posed at the top of this thread is No. IMO the In-N-Out burger is just another fast food slider.
Old May 7, 2009, 7:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Less that three weeks until I get to have another one.

It's hard waiting for such a sacred experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.