Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it common for a restaurant to have menu(s) without a local language?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it common for a restaurant to have menu(s) without a local language?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Not to mention... much more attractive?

(You meant to write magret)
I guess autocorrect only knows the local language and not French, even at the level of menu French.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There is a Thai restaurant in Ft Lauderdale with a secret traditional Thai menu - the problem is they will refuse to let a non-Thai person order from it, and require non-Thai guests to order Americanized curry-nonsense from the regular menu. That never worked for me, so I've literally had tug-o-war challenges with some of the staff where they were grabbing the Thai secret menu from my hands and telling me I cannot order from it, but I had already uploaded it to Facebook and had my Thai friends make the choices for me - and believe me - the food tasted so much better, fresher, lighter and more flavorful than the Americanized Thai dishes the rest of the restaurant was stuck with.

On the 3rd time doing the tug-o-war routine, I finally got the manager to explain why they were making this such a hassle and his answer was they didn't want to waste time translating and describing every dish to non-Thai speakers, and believe American people would find the dishes strange and send them back, but since I knew what I wanted and would not ask questions, they would let me order from it without a hassle.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Have gone (several times) to a restaurant in Bangkok where the menu is in english only. The cuisine is nominally Thai food with a French flair. I imagine their clientale are non-Thais and Thais who can read english.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.