Well Brands

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Well Brands

As a rule, if I order a drink, I specify the liquor. For example, a manhattan must be made with Woodford reserve or Basil Haydens. There are exceptions. I wouldn't say make that pina colada with some exotic brand of aged rum. After all, I would be unable to taste the difference. Do you always call for a specific liquor or will you bend the rule for a certain type of drink and accept the well brand?

I ask because my local liquor store offered to "members" a free 750 ml bottle with a $50 purchase. I had never heard of any of the 3 brands and took a bottle of Grey's Peak gin. Reviews indicate that it may need to be mixed with something strong. My daughter said we'll make martinis when I offered to bring it for Christmas. I'm thinking along the lines of gin and juice instead.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Well brands for heavily mixed drinks when you are being cheap. Well brands for margaritas, daquiris, etc.

I prefer call brands for vodka martinis, unless the bar specifies that is uses something acceptable.

Sipping drinks are always call brands.

I am not sure I would enjoy martinis with well brand gin. Well, after the first one, I probably wouldnt notice on the second one.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Well brands for heavily mixed drinks when you are being cheap. Well brands for margaritas, daquiris, etc.

I prefer call brands for vodka martinis, unless the bar specifies that is uses something acceptable.

Sipping drinks are always call brands.
+1

Also, location specific though, if I happen to be stuck on the Strip and want a drink like a whiskey & coke, I say "whiskey & coke" vs. Jack N Coke as some places charge more since I'm requesting a specific brand despite the well actually just being Jack.

When ordering from a cocktail menu, I don't request subs unless bartender says it actually makes a difference if I don't like what's in a drink.

What were the other two brands? Sounds like a good deal either way !
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the well brands are the bottom-of-the-barrel ones like Gilbey's or Moctezuma Tequila, I will order call for any drink. I feel like the bottom tier brands are just recipes for a headache.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by lowmiles
+1

What were the other two brands? Sounds like a good deal either way !
1941 Vodka & Zachariah Harris bourbon. I asked for the bourbon but they were out of it. Plan B was the gin since I occasionally drink gin. I think the vodka was probably the best product of the three but I never drink vodka and no one who comes over to the house does either.
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If I'm having a mixed drink (soda + alcohol - 99% of the time bourbon-based), I'm fine with well.

If having a proper cocktail or having the liquor straight (either neat or on the rocks), wouldn't touch it.

That said the definition of well can vary a bit -- at Delta SkyClubs it's Jack Daniels which I'm actually fine with straight up but of course you go to a random bar nearby Jack could well be a premium liquor
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Some restaurants/bars have a decent well. Most don't. Many well (and even not well) tequila is a recipe for an unpleasant next morning, no matter how disguised it may be in your drink - in fact, mixing it until you can taste no more in a soup of sweet goo is only going to make the head hurt more. Vodka y Rum, the 2 most likely things I won't call in a simple mixed drink.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.