Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sometimes all you want is a Bud Light

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
No. No. I had to type it twice because there is a 5 character minimum per post.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:36 am

No never, at times a Genny or a Blue but never anything with the word light in it. You might as well drink that alcoholic water as it has more flavor to it.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
When I want something light, I go for a Helles or a Kolsch. Life's too short to drink crappy beer.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Sometimes all you want is a Bud Light
Yea, nope. Literally not once, ever in my life.

Regards
United747 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by work2fly
When I want something light, I go for a Helles or a Kolsch. Life's too short to drink crappy beer.
Never heard of them. Are there any sporting venues in North America that serve those brands? I'm sure they're great and if I see those at a ballgame I will give them a try if I remember the names.

Craft beers and small breweries are great but unless you know all of the regional variations one of the standard brews is a better option. A comprehensive knowledge of all beer producers shouldn't be required to have a cold one at a baseball game. No one should be ashamed to drink an MGD.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:50 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Never heard of them. Are there any sporting venues in North America that serve those brands? I'm sure they're great and if I see those at a ballgame I will give them a try if I remember the names.

Craft beers and small breweries are great but unless you know all of the regional variations one of the standard brews is a better option. A comprehensive knowledge of all beer producers shouldn't be required to have a cold one at a baseball game. No one should be ashamed to drink an MGD.
Helles and Kolsch are styles of beer. You can absolutely get those at some sporting venues.

I have no problem ordering "an IPA" or "a lager" at sporting events or bars.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
They are styles of beer, not brands.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
Helles and Kolsch are styles of beer. You can absolutely get those at some sporting venues.

Thanks. I've never seen a beer described using either term at a sporting event. But unless I knew what the terms meant I wouldn't have a clue what to order. Expanding one's horizons in various fields including beer is always a worthwhile endeavor. Needing an undergrad degree in beerology and an intimate knowledge of regional beer to order a cold one at a baseball game does seem to be a bit excessive.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper

I'm going to jump back in here and say that the ballpark is probably not the best place to experiment with new styles. Neither is the airport. The OP needs to get out to a craft bar prior to the next game and try some new beers and new beer styles. Better to make a $6 mistake than a $12 mistake (which might entail pouring out said $12 mistake and replacing it with a $12 Bud Light).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks. I've never seen a beer described using either term at a sporting event. But unless I knew what the terms meant I wouldn't have a clue what to order. Expanding one's horizons in various fields including beer is always a worthwhile endeavor. Needing an undergrad degree in beerology and an intimate knowledge of regional beer to order a cold one at a baseball game does seem to be a bit excessive.
@:-)

See if you can get some of the US examples...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kölsch_(beer)
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm going to jump back in here and say that the ballpark is probably not the best place to experiment with new styles. Neither is the airport. The OP needs to get out to a craft bar prior to the next game and try some new beers and new beer styles. Better to make a $6 mistake than a $12 mistake (which might entail pouring out said $12 mistake and replacing it with a $12 Bud Light).
A local craft bar is helpful to learn styles but not specific regional brands. At my local I know the differences between Wellington SPA, Arkell Best Bitter, Beau's, Cowbell Boxing IPA and assorted others. I am reasonably well-versed in the qualities that differentiate stout, bitter, IPA, wheat beer, bock and pilsner.

I've enjoyed many evenings in pubs around the world sampling different brands and types of beer. But put me in a new region at a ball game and present me with unknown names like Quilter's Irish Death, Unholy Trippel, Big Storm Wavemaker and Anton's Animals Berliner Weisse and I'm going to default to what I know even if it might not be as interesting as the crafts.

The other consideration is alcohol content varies. If you aren't paying close attention and start swilling 9 per cent crafts you can be in for a surprise when it's time to drive home.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
A local craft bar is helpful to learn styles but not specific regional brands. At my local I know the differences between Wellington SPA, Arkell Best Bitter, Beau's, Cowbell Boxing IPA and assorted others. I am reasonably well-versed in the qualities that differentiate stout, bitter, IPA, wheat beer, bock and pilsner.

I've enjoyed many evenings in pubs around the world sampling different brands and types of beer. But put me in a new region at a ball game and present me with unknown names like Quilter's Irish Death, Unholy Trippel, Big Storm Wavemaker and Anton's Animals Berliner Weisse and I'm going to default to what I know even if it might not be as interesting as the crafts.

The other consideration is alcohol content varies. If you aren't paying close attention and start swilling 9 per cent crafts you can be in for a surprise when it's time to drive home.
You're correct in your last statement. I wouldn't necessarily expect the ballpark beertender to be familiar with what he or she was pouring or to be pouring samples gratis. I'd still forego the Bud Light. If I don't mind making a mistake, I'll take a pint of that Big Storm Wavemaker. Otherwise, a bottle of water and a stop at the pub on the way home.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
I do the same. The process to make US mass light beer results in even worse beer. My wife said she didn't like beer until she tried a local Kolsch beer by a brewer trained in Nuremberg. She realized she didn't like mass produced US beer.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:29 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
If the beers are named, "XYZ Lager," or "Weirdworld IPA" or "Candy Apple Stout," you have the name of the type in the name of the beer. I wouldn't go to a sporting event to learn what the terms are. But, knowing those terms and which styles you generally like, and you can order the generic term instead of trying to figure out which is which.
This is true.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:31 pm

Or spend part of a Saturday at a local brewery sampling the beers. We went a couple of weeks ago the cost was $10 for 4 pours + a logo shaker glass. I asked for a sample before each pour to taste the style of beer so more than 4 styles can be tasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.