Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

U.S. hotel brands with all-you-can-eat à la carte breakfast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum

I recently came back from a somewhat disappointing experience at the Conrad FLL. Breakfast voucher was $40/room, which is fine for one person but when traveling with my significant other, that meant $20 per person. The breakfast buffet is $35 and the spread was very limited. Many a la carte options were very similar, but again this is breakfast food... in general, what hotel brands in the US has unlimited a la carte breakfast option? Mainly interested in properties in MIA/FLL/NYC bookable through travel agent. The only one I know of is the PHNY.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I recently came back from a somewhat disappointing experience at the Conrad FLL. Breakfast voucher was $40/room, which is fine for one person but when traveling with my significant other, that meant $20 per person. The breakfast buffet is $35 and the spread was very limited. Many a la carte options were very similar, but again this is breakfast food... in general, what hotel brands in the US has unlimited a la carte breakfast option? Mainly interested in properties in MIA/FLL/NYC bookable through travel agent. The only one I know of is the PHNY.
PH NY is seriously not unlimited a la carte ordering! I've just had bad luck but always been charged there for overages.

The St. Regis NY is quite generous with breakfast and their menu is probably one of the most delicious and varied ones I have come across. Better to be a Plat or book through Virtuoso or SPG Luxury privileges for maximum breakfast goodness.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this will fit better in the FT Dining forum, so I am moving it there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you mean buffet right? all you can eat a la carte is extremely rare.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
PH NY is seriously not unlimited a la carte ordering! I've just had bad luck but always been charged there for overages.

The St. Regis NY is quite generous with breakfast and their menu is probably one of the most delicious and varied ones I have come across. Better to be a Plat or book through Virtuoso or SPG Luxury privileges for maximum breakfast goodness.
yes only interested in virtuoso / luxury hotels
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you mean buffet right? all you can eat a la carte is extremely rare.
i mean a la carte, if not unlimited then some more reasonable allowance than $20 per person.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

besides virtuoso also brand agency programs such as four seasons preferred partners which specifically includes room service as well

also amex plat FHR

good buffets offer multiple cooking stations

sometimes high prices makes high credits still not great

actually seem to recall report of firmdale crosby street hotel NY not charging anything for breakfast

some properties publish breakfast as included in rates (all rates, not 'bed and breakfast' rates) mostly independent and or not big chains for upscale

chains sometimes cost more than independent luxury properties
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

i mean a la carte, if not unlimited then some more reasonable allowance than $20 per person.
Some Four Seasons in my experience has been very good with their "full breakfast" when booked through FSPP.

A lot of the hotels in the Luxury Forum will give more than $20 per person for a la carte at the restaurant. The best ones will waive any overages.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

likely the confusion was mentioning conrad in opening post

'second tier' brands (by price if nothing else) such as conrad, and many US independents that are somewhat upscale, with matching prices, may often offer those kinds of credits (some of them via signature, ensemble, visa, chase, etc)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 15, 2018 at 11:20 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

likely the confusion was mentioning conrad in opening post

'second tier' brands such as conrad, and many US independents that are somewhat upscale, with matching prices, may often offer those kinds of credits (some of them via signature, ensemble, visa, chase, etc)
tiers is kind of subjective. The Conrad FLL is on Virtuoso, to my surprise as much as presumably your disapproval.
Some Four Seasons in my experience has been very good with their "full breakfast" when booked through FSPP.

A lot of the hotels in the Luxury Forum will give more than $20 per person for a la carte at the restaurant. The best ones will waive any overages.
I’ve had similar experience at FS MIA. I forgot what the allowance was but while it was enough for the restaurant, when ordering in room an omelette a person plus surcharges quickly took us over the allowance.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not really subjective when talking industry rate statistics etc, but i did add that into my post

my post was also following on to >
Some Four Seasons
A lot of the hotels in the Luxury Forum will give more than $20
best ones will waive any overages.
(re price for example FS surf club MIA and NY)

when paying overages, could ask managers how hotel packages "including" breakfast work

can also negotiate direct with hotels, much easier with top luxury brands or independent

(not sure re breakfast but well regarded independent luxury in NY / UES : lowell, mark)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 16, 2018 at 2:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

not really subjective when talking industry rate statistics etc, but i did add that into my post

my post was also following on to >
I wasn’t aware “industry rate statistics” was being talked about. If we were talking about prices, then sure, tiers.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i added "(by price if nothing else)" to my post, unfortunately at exact same time/minute as your reply

Conrad FLL is on Virtuoso
also would have clarified some in first post

re brand, can be ideal to look at individual hotels, for example new FS surf club vs original FS MIA

Originally Posted by Fraser
One of the best breakfasts I had of this kind was only last month at the Soori Bali. There were about two dozen breakfast choices and they were slightly smaller portions, maybe appetizer size and you could have as many as you wanted. Each day the options changed the standard was excellent. Great iced coffees too! Included in the rate for all guests.
good to hear owner continued it after dropping alila management

one of best examples of true luxury breakfast included in all rates

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 15, 2018 at 4:54 pm
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Would Embassy Suites fit the bill? Breakfast cooked to order. Not table service but you don't have to clean up after yourself. I don't know if it's unlimited but I've never been turned away from the line. Eggs, pancakes, French toast, hash browns, breakfast meats along with the usual cereals, juices and breads.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
As someone who stays at a decent number of Virtuoso-eque hotels I have wondered how far the oft touted "full breakfast" will go. I've never found myself having to pay for anything, yet have never stretched it either. I was at the Peninsula Hong Kong last month and there was some kind of Wagyu breakfast dish that I suspect wouldn't have been included

One of the best breakfasts I had of this kind was only last month at the Soori Bali. There were about two dozen breakfast choices and they were slightly smaller portions, maybe appetizer size and you could have as many as you wanted. Each day the options changed the standard was excellent. Great iced coffees too! Included in the rate for all guests.
https://www.sooribali.com/

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Would Embassy Suites fit the bill?
I can't imagine there are any Embassy Suites that are Virtuoso properties
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Fraser
I can't imagine there are any Embassy Suites that are Virtuoso properties
You're right, of course, but I saw no mention of that in the OP. I guess I failed to see that in his follow-on responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.