Who uses a grain mill?

Old Jun 17, 18, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Who uses a grain mill?

I'm considering getting one for my KitchenAid mixer, either
their own attachment their own attachment
or this https://pleasanthillgrain.com/mockmill-kitchenaid-grain-mill-best-attachments-accessories I found while researching flour making. Right now I tried grinding some wheat berries with a combination of a blender and food processor and the product looked good enough to try in my bread machine (which is currently making a wheat bread recipe that I normally use). Another complication was finding the actual wheat berries in person; surprisingly, Smart & Final around here had them while both Sprouts and Whole Foods did not.

Anyway, we'll see in a few hours whether it was worth the effort but I figured I'd ask you guys for thoughts.
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep putting off getting one. Would be very interested in your findings.
Old Jun 20, 18, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Keep putting off getting one. Would be very interested in your findings.
The bread from the machine turned out much better than it usually does so I went ahead and ordered the Mockmill attachment. It should get here by Saturday.

(The KitchenAid branded mill is an impact mill IIRC and reviews were more mixed. Though I guess that's to be expected from an $85 attachment on Amazon.)
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 24, 18, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got the Mockmill yesterday. So far it seems to do pretty well (though at speed level 10, it does make my Professional series KA mixer pretty hot to the touch; I'll probably grind at slower speeds in the future). Even with slower speeds, I'd probably follow the suggestion in the KA version's manual (45 minute rest period after a certain number of cups ground).

Anyway, this morning I used the leftover flour from the bread I made yesterday to make pancakes. Those turned out pretty well, which is good because I have enough leftovers for a couple of days.
LapLap likes this.

Search this Thread