Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food you encountered traveling that stuck with you.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food you encountered traveling that stuck with you.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:04 pm

Mango with sticky rice in Thailand, specifically the mango. Fragrance/taste/aroma of SE Asia mangoes is unlike anything in the US.

Sesame bagels from Montreal - I bring back a dozen or two for the freezer anytime I visit.

Bak kut teh (pork rib soup), kaya toast, nasi goreng, prawn mee in Singapore/Malaysia
tcl likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:04 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
British (or maybe just any non-American) ice cream and other dairy. Soooo good.

British versions of American chocolates. They can be addictive because they're not sickingly sweet like in the US. I don't like chocolate in the US.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Melonpan bun straight from the oven in Tokyo Akasuka near the shrine. The locals were having them split with soft serve matcha ice cream as a sandwich but I went old school and just savored the hot bun. Had a few others at different convenience stores, but none matched the fresh baked flavor. I can still taste it.

Black bean and cheese filled papusas from a papuseria in La Libertad El Salvador. The cook in the house we were renting cooked them in a skillet and served them hot with spicy slaw and some mild salsa. Fresh squeezed fruit juices with nice aged rum helped.

Cheese Enchillada covered with a black mole sauce in Saltillo Mexico. I’ve never been able to find a mole sauce quite like it. Chocolate but spicy.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Fresh white truffles shaved over pasta or Risotto in Italy in the Fall. We are in love with the seasonal white truffles and the seasonal Moeche in Venice
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:43 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bitterproffit

Black bean and cheese filled papusas from a papuseria in La Libertad El Salvador. The cook in the house we were renting cooked them in a skillet and served them hot with spicy slaw and some mild salsa. Fresh squeezed fruit juices with nice aged rum helped.
Mmm, that slaw is called curtido. I quite like the pupusas with loroco.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
not as exotic as some of the others but since traveling to southeast asia I frequently eat eggs with rice instead of toast
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:56 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Porchetta in Rome
I purchased a porchetta to roast off for this year's Christmas Eve dinner at my parents, it was stunningly delicious, had the leftovers last night for dinner. (for those in Chicago area, Tempesta Market makes porchetta roasts for purchase Tempesta Market - Delicatessen, Charcuterie, Craft Sandwiches, & Pantry (and they have killer sandwiches as well as nduja for purchase)
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Italian beef sandwiches in Chicago
it is an amazing sandwich!
-
missydarlin and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

had chorizo at restaurant, but first saw it (fresh ground / "bulk") in grocery store in 2009 in scottsdale, got me looking around for it at home

first had a burger with egg on it at a bistro in williamsburg VA in early 2000s, always enjoy one of those

have had some amazing food including desserts that were not that complicated but have given up trying to find them again unfortunately
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Empanadas in the south of Chile. Crab and salmon made to order including the rolling of fresh Masa.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Jan 1, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:04 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Empanadas in the south of Chile. Crab and salmon made to order including the rolling of fresh Masa.
Mmm...are you seeing erizo del mar (sea urchin) on any menus? Haven't been to Chile yet, but its seafood markets are on the list.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Mmm...are you seeing erizo del mar (sea urchin) on any menus? Haven't been to Chile yet, but its seafood markets are on the list.
My eating in the South was mostly with friends at home. The other thing that stuck with me from trips down here is this is the third time I've had home cooked whole lamb on or around New Year.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guava juice in Maui
Labneh in Dubai, I just can't make it taste the same when I try making it here.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Snorkel 378 TH
Peking Duck at Bianyifang in Beijing last year, went with my dad after graduating college. Would go back to PEK just to get some of that Duck.
Char Siu BBQ pork at Joy Hing in Hong Kong. Have since upgrading to goose and pork at Kam's Roast Goose. Gonna try Yat Lok on my next go.
Looking forward to trying Lechon in Cebu with my wife while visiting her family later this summer.
Yat Lok roast pork is EXCELLENT. I go every time i'm in Hong Kong (more than once/trip). It came as a surprise to me, but Namibian oysters are amazing.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy

Not exactly food - but apple cider in Estonia. IMHO, they make some of the best ciders in the world.

All of the Mexican food in Tucson, AZ.
Re: your cider - for me, it was kombucha in Eugene where it was readily available in every brewery and taproom I visited. I had been avoiding it for years. No more.

Re: Tucson - I used to support a plant out there and the anglo plant manager always insisted that you couldn't get good Mexican in Tucson. I asked a guy out in the plant named Cesar and he directed me to Las Casualitas which was an absolutely delightful experience but located in a dodgy neighborhood. I went back with one of my accountants and we got the full mariachi treatment.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:24 pm

My quick list:
- Pocket Coffee and Arancini - Italy train stations
- Misonikomi Udon - Nagoya train station
- Oyster omelet - Taipei
- Haejangguk (hangover soup) - Seoul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.