Search

Consolidated "Movie Theaters Serving Alcohol & Food" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Consolidated "Movie Theaters Serving Alcohol & Food" thread

Have anyone ever gone to one? It's a nice venue. I went to one today for the first time as it's brand new in my area. I didn't eat though but peeked at the menu and seemed decent enough. I found the recliner seats well worth the ticket price of $10.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've been just once and didn't care for the experience. Servers were running around for the first 30 min or so of the movie. People were eating through that much plus more time. The eating itself isn't bad, it is the smells or the food, the clinking of silverware, etc. It was just not a comfortable experience.

We've since gone to a nearby Cinemark and I found that much more comfortable. Still reserved, recliner seats. But not the distraction of servers and silverware.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:48 pm

Yep. I've been to a couple in Austin on rainy days and had a good time. Food didn't bother me at all. I can't complain about decent beers brought to my seat.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
We don't have them here but I heard they will actually throw out disruptive people. I would love that.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Wasn't this the place that banned men from a screening?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
We don't have them here but I heard they will actually throw out disruptive people. I would love that.
Indeed. One of the previews showed was "you get one warning then you are thrown out".
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Never heard of it. Around here Alamo just rents cars.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That's true for any movie theatre except maybe the discount ones (I can imagine that would be like herding cats with some of those people). I used to work at a movie theatre (regular price of $7-$10), and while I never ejected anyone, I did go in and tell someone to stop using the phone on two occasions. I would have had no problem ejecting someone for being disruptive, either.

A movie theatre that charges you $7 to see a movie and doesn't throw out disruptive people needs bad reviews and ultimately business closure if they don't shape up.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:31 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The one in San Francisco is fairly good.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The one in Brooklyn where I live is pretty good, the waiters are pretty good about getting your orders out and not being too intrusive or bothersome in terms of being to watch the movie.

They also have had some cool special events, like a John Waters Q&A after watching one of his movies (included an autographed book as well). Also they had a live movie with a couple of guys from Mystery Science 3000, that was fun.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Around here, almost all of the theaters have some sort of dine-in concept, and I think they all have recliners now.

If it's a new movie that I actually want to pay close attention to, I go to AMC and pick a theater that *doesn't* have dine-in. You can still buy a bottle of wine or a 32-ounce beer...you just don't have the waiters running around during the film.

If it's more of an action flick or something silly, I love the Drafthouse. We saw Serenity there a few months ago: your ticket price included cap guns to shoot the bad guys with, plus some other silly props. Die Hard and Caddyshack were also both a blast at Alamo. They regularly do Rocky Horror with live performers in front of the screen, of course.

I don't usually go to the shows at Alamo where they ask you to be quiet. The ones I've been to are pretty raucous and everybody is okay with it. Lots of drinks/food throughout the film, but if you're watching Caddyshack do you want it any other way?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the idea of dine-in but the idea of waiters in and out doesn't appeal to me. The cap guns and the like would be a huge turn off for me.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The one in Kansas City definitely doesn't brew beer. It serves a lot of craft beer, but not its own.

When I heard it referred to as this I thought maybe the one in San Antonio does (or did when it first started), but there's no in-house beer on the menu here.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
The one in Kansas City definitely doesn't brew beer. It serves a lot of craft beer, but not its own.

When I heard it referred to as this I thought maybe the one in San Antonio does (or did when it first started), but there's no in-house beer on the menu here.
The Alamo Drafthouses in Texas are running advertising where they are partnering with and showcasing beer from certain Brewhouses. It is a place where you can watch a movie, have some food and get a decent beer no matter what the name of the establishment is. I have never seen anyone at the Richardson Alamo Drafthouse get rowdy or tossed out for over imbibing.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I’ve been reading this thread thinking, “we don’t have one here so it doesn’t apply to me.” But suddenly I’m going to one on Saturday when I’m in Dallas, specifically the one in Richardson. No promises I won’t get rowdy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.