Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to learn about wine?

How to learn about wine?

Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
For someone starting out as a total beginner, I would suggest the book Wine Folly. Unlike most wine books, this is targeted towards beginners and is filled with very useful information like the different tastes that you can look for with a certain type of grape. To enjoy wine, I think one need some basic knowledge to get going. Another thing that I have found helpful is to join a class and be led through a tasting by an expert. Wine bars like Corkbuzz in NYC run classes regularly and you only have to do it once to get a feel for what serious wine geeks do when doing tasting.
Thanks! I'll pass that book onto him. Unfortunately, we aren't in a good area for wine bars.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:14 pm
mjm
Original Member

To learn about wine is a varied task. For some it can mean a professional certification or complete training. For others it can be as simple as learning a framework of terms so your descriptions at least for yourself can be consistent across time.

The best thing I have seen come into the world of wine is the Systematic Approach to Tasting offered by WSET. It is the benchmark worldwide and used by all Masters of Wine and to a large extent by Master Sommeliers. Watching something like the movie Somm gives you a chance to see someone run through a structured SAT tasting. It allows wine fans around the globe to describe wines with a set if terms that allow comparison. It also sets up a standard of "balance" against which quality can be judged. Taking a level 3 course done by a WSET licensed teacher is very basic and very easy and very very worthwhile for understanding wine. If it is more than you wish to do then a good tasting group of friends will help get a shy drinker up to a point of confidence fairly quickly. For me, being able to describe wines at a particular meal is not as useful as being able to compare thoughts on wines from dinners spread over a decade or several. The more structured approach allows for that.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Probably a bit late, but I'll bite since I am a certified sommelier. No I don't know everything (nor do I pretend to do know it all) and I don't work in the industry. It's a hobby of mine.

Anyways, like others have said, I would suggest taking a course.Perhaps at a local college or university to learn the basics or maybe there's a restaurant that offers 4-6 week crash courses as an intro to wine. While you likely won't be able to tell the difference between say Rutherford or Coombsville Cabs, you'll at the very least know that Pinot Noir's ancestral home is from France (Burgundy) and that good new world examples are also grown in New Zealand and Oregon.

After that, if your friend is serious, I'd suggest looking into WSET unless if you want to work in the trade/restaurant in which case Court of Master Sommeliers is a bit more practical. IMO, WSET is more geared towards sales, marketing, etc. but that's not to say that one is necessarily better than another (although some people will swear by one or the other exclusively)

Feel free to shoot any questions over. I've done both WSET and CMS.
mjm and gfunkdave like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Probably a bit late, but I'll bite since I am a certified sommelier. No I don't know everything (nor do I pretend to do know it all) and I don't work in the industry. It's a hobby of mine.

Anyways, like others have said, I would suggest taking a course.Perhaps at a local college or university to learn the basics or maybe there's a restaurant that offers 4-6 week crash courses as an intro to wine. While you likely won't be able to tell the difference between say Rutherford or Coombsville Cabs, you'll at the very least know that Pinot Noir's ancestral home is from France (Burgundy) and that good new world examples are also grown in New Zealand and Oregon.

After that, if your friend is serious, I'd suggest looking into WSET unless if you want to work in the trade/restaurant in which case Court of Master Sommeliers is a bit more practical. IMO, WSET is more geared towards sales, marketing, etc. but that's not to say that one is necessarily better than another (although some people will swear by one or the other exclusively)

Thanks! I'll suggest that to him.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:04 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes

Right on the money with this post.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: None
Some restaurants offer wine education courses.
Also, there's a ton of Youtube videos and e-books.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
One of the most interesting wine courses I attended was to taste all wines in black stemware. We were unable to discern if the wine was red, white, or rose. They even went further and served us white wines not chilled, and red wines chilled. Then to really mess with us, they matched the wines with various music. It provided a new perspective of wine without a visual or temperature reference, and the music really played with the mind. This is a simple thing to do at home with some friends.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonomawine
One of the most interesting wine courses I attended was to taste all wines in black stemware. We were unable to discern if the wine was red, white, or rose. They even went further and served us white wines not chilled, and red wines chilled. Then to really mess with us, they matched the wines with various music. It provided a new perspective of wine without a visual or temperature reference, and the music really played with the mind. This is a simple thing to do at home with some friends.
I like that idea!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta PM
I really enjoyed this book. Now I did know something of wine, but this book is well written and brought some new perspectives:
The Wine Avenger by Willie Gluckstern

Amazon Amazon
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
If you don't want to learn about wines you can simply purchase and pour the daily Trader Joe's specials and most of your friends will think you're an amazing person.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 4:04 pm

There are a couple good books. Then after that it's all about tasting, tasting and more tasting. Drink take pictures of the wine and write down the flavored you experienced. That's a good start. There are also sommelier certifications you can take. The intro test cost around 400$ and they will provide you with resources.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

In Los Angeles, I have friends who have enjoyed the classes offered at http://winehouse.com
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:19 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by andyh64000

2013 Sparkman Wilderness Red Blend (Syrah, Grenache, Tempranillo, Petit Syrah)

It brings aromas of dried herb, earth and blue and black fruit that are followed by palate-coating blue-fruit flavors, speckled with barrel spices, showing vibrant acidity.

2015 Terrunyo Block 27 Carmenere

Dark, deep red in color, Terrunyo Carmenere has complex and elegant aromas of ripe red berries, plum, spice and a hint of tobacco. Powerful and concentrated fruit flavors reappear on the palate caressed in sweet tannins. Full in the mouth with great structure and a lingering finish.

2014 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon

Dark ruby purple core lightening to medium intensity at the rim with moderate staining on the glass. Aromatic black fruit of cherry and blackcurrant jam, baking spice, dried leaf and sweet tobacco. Full bodied with bright black cherry, blackcurrant and berry fruit with an underpinning of oak barrel accents on entry. The mid palate shows continued fruit with savory herbal notes, mint and a hint of violet. The finish is clean, long and layered with lingering dark fruit surrounded by soft chewy tannins balanced by crisp acidity and subtle floral notes.

2014 Hedges CMS Blend (Cab, Merlot, Syrah)

Aromas of cinnamon, sweet plum and earthy pomegranate with hints of dried tobacco leaf, vanilla and dark cocoa powder. On the palate are flavors of ripe raspberry, milk chocolate and dried sage. Bright entry, full juicy mid-palate and a graceful finish with apparent and pleasing tannins. A nicely balanced wine, with enough acid and tannin to make this a more serious, longer lived wine that will go well with full flavored food.

2012 Alexandria Nicole Jet Black Syrah

Whole berry fermentation leads the way for this deep and dense black in color Syrah. There’s an energy driving the wine, immediately apparent in the sultry aromas of blackberries, huckleberry, mocha, lavender, and espresso. The flavors are thick and saturated, coating the mouth with dark cherry, toffee, cedar and a delicate leathery spice. A very generous mid-palate with loads of texture yet it manages to stay fresh and elegant, with juicy acidity, very fine, silky and sleek tannins, and a brilliant finish that certainly doesn’t lack for length. Impressive now, but if drinking before 2015, please decant.

2014 K Vintners The Boy Grenache

Transparent and pure are the first words that come to mind when tasting this wine. Then onto spice, tobacco, black leather, and white pepper. A full palate that comes together to an elegant and ethereal finish.

2013 Bookwalter Foreshadow Merlot

Deep ruby red-black color, clear. Ripe rich fruit with showy inviting oak aromas. Ripe pure fruit flavors refreshingly clean. Longlasting fresh fruit and oak are framed by smooth tannins. Built for a wide menu, this wine drinks invitingly well now.

2012 Obelisco Estate Grown Malbec

Aged in equal parts French and American oak (43% new), this initially puts barrel tones in the lead. Notes of toasty spices, cocoa, toffee and coffee come out in front of blue and black fruit. The flavors are sweet but reserved in style, trailing toward the finish. There's a lot to enjoy but the oak seems a little overweighted for the fruit that's in the bottle.

2013 Cambria Pinot Noir

Concentrated raspberry fruit meets with earthy rhubarb, cranberry, beet, orange rind and thyme herbs on the nose of this new project from the Jackson family. Tighter pomegranate and raspberry fruit show on the palate, alongside graphite and woody herbs. It's a reliably down-the-middle and fresh wine.

2012 Eberle Zinfandel

Supple and jammy, with floral black raspberry aromas and savory flavors of cherry pie, cinnamon and licorice that linger on the spiced vanilla tannins.

2017 Boone’s Farm Strawberry Hill

With hints of lip gloss and sharpies, this wine is everything that it is supposed to be and is as easy going down as it is coming back up.

2014 Bunnell Red Heaven Hills Syrah

Chocolate covered cherry, cedar, and dirty cranberry nose. Medium, high acidity, and complex body. Earthy black fruit front. Big vanilla middle with cherries, cigar tobacco, and currants. The finish is leather, smokey cigar, black cherry, and chocolate.

2009 Chateau Margaux Balthazar

A brilliant offering from the Mentzelopoulos family, once again their gifted manager, Paul Pontallier, has produced an uncommonly concentrated, powerful 2009 Chateau Margaux made from 87% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest primarily Merlot with small amounts of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. As with most Medocs, the alcohol here is actually lower (a modest 13.3%) than most of its siblings-. Abundant blueberry, cassis and acacia flower as well as hints of charcoal and forest floor aromas that are almost Burgundian in their complexity are followed by a wine displaying sweet, well-integrated tannins as well as a certain ethereal lightness despite the wine-s overall size. Rich, round, generous and unusually approachable for such a young Margaux, this 2009 should drink well for 30-35+ years.

2015 Mark Ryan The Dissident Blend (Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc)

The nose offers notes of violets, black currant, and cedar. A mix of tart red and black fruits. The palate, red cherry, blackberry, and red plum. On the mid palate, cocoa and graphite linger into the finish. The tannins are elegantly balanced with the acidity.

See, this is exactly the kind of thing that puts off people who don't know about wine, First of all, it's pretentious and full of jargon. Secondly, everyone tastes differently. One of the most annoying things is to visit a winery and being told what you're going to taste in a particular wine. No, as a matter of fact I'm not.

People try to find all kinds of similes for the flavours they taste, instead of tasting the actual grapes and the differences between them. Yes, some wines do have certain prominent flavours that may remind you of a fruit or something else, but a lot of the flowery flummery that accompanies it is just that. I've been a wine connoisseur for 54 years now, and I'd love a moratorium on the kind of language evidenced here. It's unnecessary, self-indulgent, and actually often misleading.

Sorry!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:30 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by 1P
See, this is exactly the kind of thing that puts off people who don't know about wine, First of all, it's pretentious and full of jargon. Secondly, everyone tastes differently. One of the most annoying things is to visit a winery and being told what you're going to taste in a particular wine. No, as a matter of fact I'm not.

People try to find all kinds of similes for the flavours they taste, instead of tasting the actual grapes and the differences between them. Yes, some wines do have certain prominent flavours that may remind you of a fruit or something else, but a lot of the flowery flummery that accompanies it is just that. I've been a wine connoisseur for 54 years now, and I'd love a moratorium on the kind of language evidenced here. It's unnecessary, self-indulgent, and actually often misleading.

Sorry!
Interesting to read these comments. I wonder how you might feel about the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1P

Sorry!
It was a party game and I pulled the notes directly from the winemakers...not sure what else I could have done

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.