Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been "cut off" in an airport bar ?

Old Oct 13, 17, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE

It happened to our table of 6 in ABQ at the tex-mex themed bar a couple of years ago.

After we ordered our fourth round of drinks, we were informed that further service would not be forthcoming. This was over a time period of 2 hours.

Maybe had we been ordering beer, instead of those terribly difficult to make margarita's, this might not have happened ?

I'm all for dealing with obnoxious pax who've exceeded their limits in the lounge or other public places, but this was not the case here at all.
Old Oct 13, 17, 2:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Never been cut off but I did have to show a bartender at a CX Lounge my ID. Long time ago and still laughing about it.

Last edited by WorldLux; Oct 13, 17 at 2:56 pm
Old Oct 13, 17, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ON TWO occasions in the IAD RCC, the bartender informed a customer they would not be allowed to board a plane if they had another drink. i sort of thought this warning came one or two drinks too late. both people were seriously drunk.
Old Oct 14, 17, 1:43 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I got cut off on my last QR flight on at A380, because a bunch of the other side of the bar were quite loud, and they cut off everyone for a 1h. Wasn't very impressed, but probably a good thing for my health
Old Oct 14, 17, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
It happened to our table of 6 in ABQ at the tex-mex themed bar a couple of years ago.
It happened a couple years ago and you're just now complaining about it?

After we ordered our fourth round of drinks, we were informed that further service would not be forthcoming. This was over a time period of 2 hours.

Maybe had we been ordering beer, instead of those terribly difficult to make margarita's, this might not have happened ?
Seriously?

I'm all for dealing with obnoxious pax who've exceeded their limits in the lounge or other public places, but this was not the case here at all.
Why is it that people who get cut off from more liquor never think their own actions triggered it?
Old Oct 14, 17, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Ever wait a couple of years to post about getting cut off in an airport bar?
Old Oct 14, 17, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios

No-because I am not an alcoholic.
Old Oct 14, 17, 4:11 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Dear all,

Word the wise... Over the years we've seen dozens of such threads devolve. Please comment if you have something civil to say and if you want to discuss folks' drinking habits, alcoholism, etc., etc., do so in OMNI.

Thank you.

cblaisd & iluv2fly, Co-Moderators, Dining Buzz
amanx and TravelingNomads like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 14, 17 at 6:34 pm
Old Oct 16, 17, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Does being cut off at an Admirals Club count?

My ex and I were both BA Golds and guested her parents into the SJU AC where, as a OW Sapphire/Emeralds you are given drinks vouchers, normally two per Sapphire/Emerald at a time. Our flight to MIA was on a rolling delay so we went back to get more vouchers several times. After we reached about 16 or 20 vouchers total (over the course of about 3hrs) the guy at reception decided he'd had enough and put us on the next flight which was now leaving before our delayed one.
Sweet Willie and Franky16 like this.

Last edited by Fraser; Oct 16, 17 at 6:41 pm
Old Oct 16, 17, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Well the OP specified lounges, but I wouldn't count your case as being "cut off". Looks like a flight block to me.
Old Oct 16, 17, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
I'm not "complaining" 2 years later........just trying to spur conversation because the subject came up recently amongst friends who fly, and I was wondering what kind of responses I'd get here.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 20, 17 at 8:54 am
Old Oct 16, 17, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
No, but I drank with a guy who wished he had. I was commuting SFO-CLT for a few months and my routine was to catch a Sunday night red eye. Two tall beers made me sleepy enough to grab a few hours shuteye. The guy next to me was drinking the special of the night, double Manhattans, and bought me a beer. He was there when I got to the bar and I saw him down 3 of them. Who knows how many he had consumed before I got there. By the time we reached CLT, he was under arrest for kicking the FA.
Old Oct 20, 17, 6:19 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
No-because I am not an alcoholic.
That is harsh. Addiction and going to hard [one time] in an airport are not the same thing.

No I haven't been cut off either but that is because I am a lightweight and if I drank enough to get cut off I'd be in an ambulance
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post

My ex and I were both BA Golds and guested her parents into the SJU AC where, as a OW Sapphire/Emeralds you are given drinks vouchers, normally two per Sapphire/Emerald at a time. Our flight to MIA was on a rolling delay so we went back to get more vouchers several times. After we reached about 16 or 20 vouchers total (over the course of about 3hrs) the guy at reception decided he'd had enough and put us on the next flight which was now leaving before our delayed one.
He probably figured you were causing them to run out of the pay water bottles
Old Oct 20, 17, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It's also possible that they just had a policy on number of rounds they will serve a patron during a visit, whether it's due to previous incidents or other reasons.

Search this Thread