Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

If true, what makes a mooncake 1000 calories?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I've been eating a lot of mooncakes this week. While yummy and delicious, I've been wondering how can they be a 1000 calories! Is it the filling, the pastry or the egg? I mean, the pastry is just flour and syrup which shouldn't be too much and the filling is just nuts or some kind of bean paste which shouldn't add much, right?!

While delicious, I might have to ease up. Don't wan't to get my cholesterol or uric acid up!

But mooncakes are yummy.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Seems like this article has many of the answers to your questions.

http://sampan.org/2014/08/obesity-ho...n-a-moon-cake/
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by maortega15
I've been eating a lot of mooncakes this week. While yummy and delicious, I've been wondering how can they be a 1000 calories! Is it the filling, the pastry or the egg? I mean, the pastry is just flour and syrup which shouldn't be too much and the filling is just nuts or some kind of bean paste which shouldn't add much, right?!

While delicious, I might have to ease up. Don't wan't to get my cholesterol or uric acid up!

But mooncakes are yummy.
I think anytime you see the word "syrup" beware. It's probably lots of sugar.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Seems like this article has many of the answers to your questions.

http://sampan.org/2014/08/obesity-ho...n-a-moon-cake/
They did their research base on Americanized moon cake without some of the original ingredients which has been banned from import.
Lard was a major component of skin and filling. Even the salted duck egg yolk had pork fat during the curing process.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think anytime you see the word "syrup" beware. It's probably lots of sugar.
That's true. But hearing a 1000 calories in a small cube-like pastry =

Could've sprung for a pie a la mode for less!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:43 pm

I can believe the 1000 calorie count. Fluffy donuts are several hundred calories each and a single mooncake is basically an extremely dense donut.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traditional ingredients:

Skin: Lard, Flour, Sugar

Filling (bean or Lotus) mash cooked beans or lotus nuts in lard and sugar.

Salted duck egg: Pork fat chunks are added to the salt brine which the duck eggs are soaked in, This pork fat is to stimulate the yolk to get oily.

You do the math.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I didn't knows they had that many calories, but I don't like the packaged one.

Zingermans Deli in Ann Arbor has amazing Moon Cakes. I am scared to think of how many calories those have now
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Zingermans Deli in Ann Arbor has amazing Moon Cakes. I am scared to think of how many calories those have now
I have been to Zingermans twice but IIRC there wasn't any moon cakes that we are talking about in this thread there.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have been to Zingermans twice but IIRC there wasn't any moon cakes that we are talking about in this thread there.
Next time you go there get one of theirs You'll never touch one of the ones being talked about here again after having theirs
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

Are you referring to the Cosmic Cakes (the Zingerman's Moon Pie)? Man, those things are delicious. Fluffy chocolate cake, vanilla buttercream, chocolate coating. I just called them last week and begged them to take them out of retirement.

But this is a completely different beast from a Chinese Moon Cake, which is a dense paste wrapped in dense pastry-- sort of like a giant fig newton that is mostly composed of lard. Also delicious.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chococat
Are you referring to the Cosmic Cakes (the Zingerman's Moon Pie)? Man, those things are delicious. Fluffy chocolate cake, vanilla buttercream, chocolate coating. I just called them last week and begged them to take them out of retirement.

But this is a completely different beast from a Chinese Moon Cake, which is a dense paste wrapped in dense pastry-- sort of like a giant fig newton that is mostly composed of lard. Also delicious.
That's what I was talking about. I didn't know they stopped carrying the cosmic cakes, those seemed to sell really well. This really sucks because they stopped carrying the Raw Milk Stillton from Neal's in London I love and the sweet biscuits are also out of season so no real reason for me to make special trips there anymore.

I thought the moon cakes being discussed here where those things with graham crackers and marshmellows inside with a chocolate covering like a little Debbie.

Speaking of Graham Crackers, Zingermans has awesome homemade graham crackers, I hope they still carry those.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:17 pm

I don't care abt the calories, I only care abt the taste ! haha
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:45 pm

Those ingredients are made from egg and pork oil
But the taste is really good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.