Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food Mysteries:Why the raisins in Raisin Bran don't settle to the bottom of the box?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food Mysteries:Why the raisins in Raisin Bran don't settle to the bottom of the box?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Every bowl of Raisin Bran I pour has a perfect combination of flakes and raisins. My limited teachings on gravity would tell me all the raisins should settle to the bottom of the box.....but they don't? Marvel of engineered food?

And while I am at it.....a rant: Why do we fall for the marketing scam of Broccolini? ( and now Broccolette ) It's just immature broccoli picked early with a new label and 3 times the price. It seems that we are saving the farmer money by not having to grow it as long.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asked, and answered:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...tom-of-the-box
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david55
Every bowl of Raisin Bran I pour has a perfect combination of flakes and raisins. My limited teachings on gravity would tell me all the raisins should settle to the bottom of the box.....but they don't? Marvel of engineered food?

And while I am at it.....a rant: Why do we fall for the marketing scam of Broccolini? ( and now Broccolette ) It's just immature broccoli picked early with a new label and 3 times the price. It seems that we are saving the farmer money by not having to grow it as long.
I love me some broccolini....yes, it irks me to pay more but I like the look and the flavor. I'm a sucker.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I had Raisin Bran for lunch
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by david55
Not correct. Although it is sometimes marketed as 'baby broccoli,' broccolini/brocolette is not immature broccoli. It is a hybrid of broccoli and a plant called gai lan (also sometimes called 'Chinese broccoli').
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Not correct. Although it is sometimes marketed as 'baby broccoli,' broccolini/brocolette is not immature broccoli. It is a hybrid of broccoli and a plant called gai lan (also sometimes called 'Chinese broccoli').
Thank you. Now I feel better about paying more for it. ^
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:44 am

I posted in another thread about the frequency of cereal eating but I confess to being a life-long Post Raisin Bran eater. To the point where I will put a bag of it in my luggage when I travel.

I want to post here what I perceive to be a difference in quality in PRB based on where it is purchased and in the box size. My very unscientific survey shows that PRB purchased in the mega mart/bullseye 25oz box is noticeably less tasty than the supermarket 20oz boxes I have purchased. The flakes seem more "cardboard'y" and the raisins harder and less fresh. I tend to let my PRB soak a while in the milk anyway but even so sense a subtle hardness to the mega mart offerings. I also find the raisins in the larger boxes seem less fresh and much harder.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by tfjim
I want to post here what I perceive to be a difference in quality in PRB based on where it is purchased and in the box size. My very unscientific survey shows that PRB purchased in the mega mart/bullseye 25oz box is noticeably less tasty than the supermarket 20oz boxes I have purchased. The flakes seem more "cardboard'y" and the raisins harder and less fresh. I tend to let my PRB soak a while in the milk anyway but even so sense a subtle hardness to the mega mart offerings. I also find the raisins in the larger boxes seem less fresh and much harder.
I bought the big box generic raisin bran at Costco a few years ago and hated it. Now my local Costco carries the real thing, Post Raisin Bran, and it tastes fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.