Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by milepig
Interesting. I see you list diced tomatoes "from the can". But don't like sliced. I don't think the difference is between diced and sliced, but rather between processed and raw. Sliced tomatoes are the only raw product on your list.
I guess I inherited that gene from my father who grew up on post-WWII rationing in 1950s Britain He also likes marrowfat peas from the can!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Cheesecake
French Fries

For years I ate small amounts of both when out with others, much easier than the focused conversations of my diet. Then one day on a business trip I suffered 2 days of food poisoning. Cheesecake was part of the meal and I was forced to re-experience my dessert choice involuntary, that taste...that taste...never again!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=QCBrace;29132101]Cheesecake
/QUOTE]
Ugh...good one. This is the most disgusting dessert ever invented. Although I'll confess I have no problem admitting I don't like it.

To me it has a slightly sour taste which is only rescued by excessive toppings or flavoring. Why not just put those flavors on something that tastes good instead? Not to mention the mental part of eating what you know is just a big block of cream cheese with sugar mixed in.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE
I am a man of large appetite. I have been asked if I was John Goodman's son, so you get the picture right. There are not many foods that I don't like, hell I even kind of like haggis.

But, one item that most people eat that I will not even dignify as "food" is the lowly pickled Jalapeno pepper.

I obviously live in the South and have an affinity for cornbread. I have to fight back a severe urge to punch a chef in the pancreas each time I bite into a piece of cornbread and discover that it has been defiled by jalapeno. I am pretty sure they are just chihuahua testicles.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Chicken. I dislike chicken. But I eat it. And a lot of it. Because I can't live off pork and beef for my arteries sake, and I dislike chicken less than I dislike fish.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Reese’s candy. Everyone always thinks I’m crazy for not liking it.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:33 am

Cake, cream, pastry, lobster and champagne. Those are the things it's hard to admit to not liking. I think it's pretty normal not to like things like offal, brussels sprouts, cabbage etc. People understand that, but not liking dessert stuff or lobster or champagne? Always a headache.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Recent Yemeni meals in Jeddah have introduced me to decent-tasting offal. Tripe though, is awful...
I'll take liver, kidney, even heart and brains, but NO tripe! French tripe sausage (andouillette) is every bit as nasty as its reputation.

For the purpose of this thread, I think broccoli, as I absolutely detest it, yet it's everywhere!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
... broccoli, as I absolutely detest it, yet it's everywhere!
It really annoys me when restaurants serve broccoli alongside practically every main dish they offer. I guess it's quick and easy and cheap to steam broccoli. But I dislike cooked broccoli so much I will not order a dish just because it's accompanied by broccoli whether you like it or not.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cubbie
It really annoys me when restaurants serve broccoli alongside practically every main dish they offer. I guess it's quick and easy and cheap to steam broccoli. But I dislike cooked broccoli so much I will not order a dish just because it's accompanied by broccoli whether you like it or not.
Steamed vegetables in general, not just broccoli, are not very good. I get the health aspect of not sauteeing in oil, but the least a restaurant can do is roast them so they have some flavor.

But to your point, I have the same behavior with squash and sweet potatoes (including fries). I'll avoid ordering a dish that has them. They tend to be tasteless in most restaurants, and aren't my favorites to begin with.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by SouthernBanker
I am a man of large appetite. I have been asked if I was John Goodman's son, so you get the picture right. There are not many foods that I don't like, hell I even kind of like haggis.

But, one item that most people eat that I will not even dignify as "food" is the lowly pickled Jalapeno pepper.

I obviously live in the South and have an affinity for cornbread. I have to fight back a severe urge to punch a chef in the pancreas each time I bite into a piece of cornbread and discover that it has been defiled by jalapeno. I am pretty sure they are just chihuahua testicles.
I've had haggis in several places in Scotland, and they're all different. Even vegetarian haggis in Edinburgh. You have to have developed a taste for it. Like caviar, scotch or coffee.

Me-avocado and hot tomatoes. sauce is fine. ketchup is fine. but not hot tomatoes.
SO-mashed potatoes, pizza, canned tuna, bread pudding, gravy (like on turkey). He can't stand the stuff.

And both of us don't care for sea urchin.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 23, 2018 at 6:31 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I have some that are made more weird by the fact that I think they look delicious and would really like to like them, just don’t: fried eggs, sushi, sashimi and red wine
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Crab and lobster served in the shell. I don't want to do that much work to get that little meat out.

And cilantro. But I'm loud and clear about cilantro.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Amen on cilantro! They really shouldn't toss it on everything as those that don't want it, hate it.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:26 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Steak tartare. I have no problem with ultra-rare beef. Just don't care for most steak tartare; I've had it a few times which I enjoyed. but usually just not a fan.

Tuna tartare, OTOH, I love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.