FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1851902-foods-you-dont-always-want-admit-you-dont-like.html)

essxjay Jul 5, 2017 7:53 pm

Foods you don't always want to admit that you *don't* like

The topic of this thread is the exact opposite of the Foods you don't always want to admit you like discussion currently underway.

Here, it's time to confess your lukewarm acceptance of or sheer indifference to particular foods that you feel more than a little bit of social pressure to really really like. I'll start with a f'rinstance:

I enjoy but have no particular lust for BBQ. By BBQ I mean everything from ribs to pulled pork to brisket to hot links. Wet ribs are fine on occasion and I'll pick at the other stuff if put in front of me but there are about a hundred other things I'd pick before BBQ.

Samesies for Korean BBQ, Chicago style pizza, most kinds of pie, ice cream.

What foods are you kinda "meh" about that make others look at you like you're insane for not waxing rhapsodic over?

Doc Savage Jul 5, 2017 7:59 pm

Raw oysters.

They're OK, but not really all that good, and I certainly don't want to pay high prices for them.

And then there's always that worry you'll get a bad one.

braslvr Jul 5, 2017 9:20 pm

Rice and pasta.

davie355 Jul 5, 2017 9:26 pm

Is beer a food? The smell is nauseating. I understand many people share my disgust but drink it any way for the effects or the social experience. OK, but how about wine or liquor?

essxjay Jul 5, 2017 9:53 pm

I can see more than a little bit of peer pressure about not liking raw oysters and beer. But rice and pasta? :confused:

Another add to my "meh" list: Dunkin Donuts donuts and Dunkin Donuts coffee. Both are ~okay~ but heaven forbid you don't venerate it as the Second Coming around Bostonites. :rolleyes:

braslvr Jul 6, 2017 12:47 am

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 28524933)
I can see more than a little bit of peer pressure about not liking raw oysters and beer. But rice and pasta? :confused:

Really? Everybody loves pasta. When I mention that I don't, It's like I'm from Mars. Almost everyone loves rice. When I leave piles of it on my plate, my sanity is oft questioned.

I can and do eat both, but it's very "meh".

I know TONS of people who don't like beer or raw oysters. (I love both)

Maybe I didn't understand the question.

mikem004 Jul 6, 2017 4:26 am

Undercooked meat, such as rare-medium steaks and burgers.

Zarmakuizz Jul 6, 2017 4:36 am

Champagne. It always seemed overrated to me.

ltfly Jul 6, 2017 4:56 am

Champagne. Most of the time, I find it is mediocre wine with bubbles. Only a few high-end brands make a good product, like Veuve Cliquot for example.

kipper Jul 6, 2017 5:17 am

Most seafood.

zymm Jul 6, 2017 5:21 am

Chocolate, especially hot chocolate.

cblaisd Jul 6, 2017 6:36 am

Cooked vegetables (salads are fine, especially with good croutons).

Wine.

BamaVol Jul 6, 2017 7:15 am

I'm proud of what I don't like. The only thing I'd be reluctant to admit would be something one of my kids cooked. But so far, that hasn't been a problem. Let's face it, I like most foods too much.

emma69 Jul 6, 2017 9:59 am

Only to some people - meat and seafood. I haven't eaten them for decades, and feel no particular need to explain why, yet there are some people who insist on asking why. I just can't be bothered! Mind you, I do have one friend of 25 years plus who every single time I go over for dinner asks if I would like just a little bit of fish - and 2 weeks ago had actually gone as far as to make fish cakes for supper (luckily I have no issue with stand by freezer pizza!) as she has a mental block on the fact that I don't eat fish (she remembers the meat bit perfectly!)

Coffee - I will very rarely drink an espresso after a meal, but otherwise I am a tea drinker.

365RoadWarrior Jul 6, 2017 10:01 am

I'm vegan/strict vegetarian (forty years, not forty minutes, like most.) Don't like tofu. Or faux meat.