Wiki Posts
Search

Best Airport for Beer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Best Airport for Beer

Big fan of craft beer and often look out for it in airports. More often than not, I'm left wanting. For some reason airports rarely seem to bother offering any sort of decent quality.

MUC - Airbräu, located between T1 and T2 claims to the world's only airport brewery. Pints are a bargain at €2.75(!) and the weiss beer is quite good. The bar has a nice, classic German beerpub vibe to it including a full food menu.
KIV - They have their own brewery in house as well. Pints are around €1 and passable. Better than most other beers you'll get in Moldova.
BGY - Elav brewery have their own bar here. Decent beers, albeit, a little bit pricey.
DUB - T1 has one bar with a good selection of Irish craft beer, Marqette. T2 used to have Porterhouse beers on tap but they've been dropped. Disappointingly there's very little beer available in duty free aside from some O'Hara's gift packs.

I've not mentioned any UK airports but they tend to always have a Wetherspoons, which will serve a few real ales plus some draft and bottled craft beer as well. Haven't found any UK airport that goes above and beyond what a Wetherspoons offers though, in terms of beer.

Any other airports out there that have a decent craft beer offering? Bonus points if any craft beer is found in a lounge.

Last edited by irish_goat; Jun 13, 2017 at 10:58 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
SAN - Stone Brewing Company in T2. So tasty.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Plan to be visiting Stone's brewery next spring and will then fly out of SAN so will check it out. ^
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by irish_goat
MUN - Airbräu, located between T1 and T2 claims to the world's only airport brewery. Pints are a bargain at €2.75(!) and the weiss beer is quite good. The bar has a nice, classic German beerpub vibe to it including a full food menu.
Nitpick: Mun is the code for the Maturin airport in Venezuela. Munich has MUC as code.

Airbräu is a relatively good one. I had lunch/dinner with beer there a couple of times. Particularly nice if the airline has to cough up the money for the check (I love EU 261/04).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Nitpick: Mun is the code for the Maturin airport in Venezuela. Munich has MUC as code.

Airbräu is a relatively good one. I had lunch/dinner with beer there a couple of times. Particularly nice if the airline has to cough up the money for the check (I love EU 261/04).
You're right, always messing that one up.

Funny enough, my recent visit to Airbrau was paid for thanks to EU261 as well.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
ANC has an outpost of FAI-based Silver Gulch brewing.

I think Humpy's at ANC (concourse B) has a good local craft beer list with a wide selection. Their downtown outpost does, anyway, but it's been awhile since I've paid attention to the airport one. (ETA: confirmed: they have 16 crafts on tap plus 4 macros, and the majority of crafts are local.)

The Alaska lounge at ANC usually has at least a couple of items on tap from Alaskan Brewing (based in JNU), which is a solid craft brewery (the largest, though not nearly the best, in AK), and a couple of other (usually also local) options. I think most of the other Alaska lounges (SEA, PDX, LAX) have at least one Alaskan Brewing (usually Amber) on tap.

Last edited by jackal; Jun 23, 2017 at 2:12 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
SEA has several different options.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
+1, and they sell bottles to boot - so you can take it on the plane without having to check your bag.

I know people won't like to hear it, but the beer bar in C3 in EWR, and at most OTG spots generally, have a pretty solid selection to choose from.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We have found good beer at CLT, ATL and DTW. I think each has outlets for local producers. ATL has Sweetwater. I don't recall the other two and it's probably been a couple years since I've passed through.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
MSP has a lot of options, both at the central Brewpub by the Delta gates and in some take-away cases.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
In the US, I like:
  • SFO - There's a place in one of the UA piers with a selection of CA microbrews. And of course Anchor everywhere. Amex Centurion always has a few drinkable CA beers on tap, too.
  • DEN - New Belgium Hub offers a good selection of their beers
  • IAH - The United Clubs actually have decent Texas beers
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Rogue at PDX!!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Platinum
NRT ANA lounge and the beer machine
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:37 am

More mainstream but still quality nonetheless, Lounge in BRU with Chimay red and blue on tap and Leffe, Hoegaarden and several others in the fridge. Can't recall the name of the lounge, it's the multi airline one in non - Schengen wing.

Also, Air Canada lounge in FRA has Franziskaner on tap - very very nice beer.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by irish_goat
Big fan of craft beer and often look out for it in airports. More often than not, I'm left wanting. For some reason airports rarely seem to bother offering any sort of decent quality.

MUC - Airbräu, located between T1 and T2 claims to the world's only airport brewery. Pints are a bargain at €2.75(!) and the weiss beer is quite good. The bar has a nice, classic German beerpub vibe to it including a full food menu.
KIV - They have their own brewery in house as well. Pints are around €1 and passable. Better than most other beers you'll get in Moldova.
BGY - Elav brewery have their own bar here. Decent beers, albeit, a little bit pricey.
DUB - T1 has one bar with a good selection of Irish craft beer, Marqette. T2 used to have Porterhouse beers on tap but they've been dropped. Disappointingly there's very little beer available in duty free aside from some O'Hara's gift packs.

I've not mentioned any UK airports but they tend to always have a Wetherspoons, which will serve a few real ales plus some draft and bottled craft beer as well. Haven't found any UK airport that goes above and beyond what a Wetherspoons offers though, in terms of beer.

Any other airports out there that have a decent craft beer offering? Bonus points if any craft beer is found in a lounge.

Nice tip on MUC as here is the bier list for airbrau which I will try in September:
https://www.munich-airport.de/en/mic...iere/index.jsp

Last year I enjoyed Erdinger at airport which is big name weirs bier.

Do you write any trip reports for Moldova? I was thinking of going but safety seems to be serious consideration of gangs and theft per wikipedia.

In Czech last year in Chex(border near Germany) I almost was attacked by gypsies.

Anyway will try to Lviv, Ukraine and possibly Moldova like you seem mohave.

As for microbrew - seek out the bier festivals in Prague(went to one in May) and near Bamberg, Germany, like Annafest(July) and Bockfest in (dec) fascinating beer. MUCis one of few airports with good local Bavarian beers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.