Beer taxes

Old Jun 7, 17, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Beer taxes

Interesting article showing the wide disparity in beer taxes by state. If I lived in Tenn, I might just switch to booze full time.

http://www.foodandwine.com/syndicati...ow_facebook_fw
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phillygold View Post
Interesting article showing the wide disparity in beer taxes by state. If I lived in Tenn, I might just switch to booze full time.

http://www.foodandwine.com/syndicati...ow_facebook_fw
Interesting NC comes in at #8 . Unfortunately switching to some other alcohol doesn't work either - NC is an ABC Store state and they certainly don't cut us any favors there - they'll collect their alcohol tax whatever type you choose!

I suspect TN (and much if not all the rest of the South) is the same way.
Old Jun 8, 17, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Interesting NC comes in at #8 . Unfortunately switching to some other alcohol doesn't work either - NC is an ABC Store state and they certainly don't cut us any favors there - they'll collect their alcohol tax whatever type you choose!

Well, the state of Tennessee doesn't control the retail distribution of beer wine or liquor. In addition to NC, I know that Alabama does, at least as far as hard liquor is concerned. And the idiot that was running the Alabama ABC operation when I lived there reduced the variety of liquor stocked by 90% to streamline operations and keep 90% of the customers satisfied. Apparently I was the 1 in 10 who was looking for something other than Jack Daniels and Seagrams.
Old Jun 8, 17, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PA has the horrible state store system, although beer (not wine) is sold at private beer distributors (who can sell soft drinks, potato chips, pretzels, and not much else).
Old Jun 8, 17, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
PA has the horrible state store system, although beer (not wine) is sold at private beer distributors (who can sell soft drinks, potato chips, pretzels, and not much else).
Yes, I remember stopping in one years ago and being forced to buy a case of something I wished to try. It was awful and I ended up flying home with 21 cans of beer in my suitcase.
Old Jun 8, 17, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Ugh, let's not talk about PA. They are starting to improve, as you can now buy 6-packs at select grocery stores and convenience stores.
Old Jun 8, 17, 10:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post

I wonder why the SE corner of the deep south is so tax heavy on beer? I mean FL doesn't count because FL is just a northern state that happens to be in the south.

Glad my home state of TX is pretty close to the middle. I'll take it!

Something not mentioned in the article, is in states like NY that have a bottle/can deposit, you might as well add that at a tax, because it's not like a visitor is going to find the relevant return location.
Old Jun 8, 17, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
I wonder why the SE corner of the deep south is so tax heavy on beer? I mean FL doesn't count because FL is just a northern state that happens to be in the south.
I blame the Baptists.
Old Jun 8, 17, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I blame the Baptists.
There is good reason to do so.
Old Jun 9, 17, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
FL doesn't count because FL is just a northern state that happens to be in the south.
You wouldn't say that after a visit to the Panhandle.

I have heard it said more than once: Florida is the only state where the further north you go, the deeper in the south you are.
Old Jun 9, 17, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I blame the Baptists.
If that were true, every Wednesday night, beer would be tax free.
Old Jun 9, 17, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BamaVol View Post
If that were true, every Wednesday night, beer would be tax free.
No, the tax would be double as a good Baptist would think you should be at church, not buying beer.

I, of course, am a very good baptist, which is different than a good baptist. I drink wine instead of beer.

Search this Thread