Reload this Page >

Your favorite snack cakes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite snack cakes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:00 am

My mother never bought packaged snack cakes, she was the "bake from scratch" mom in the neighborhood.

That made having a Ho-Ho at my friend's house all the sweeter. First you peel the foil half off and start flaking off the chocolate coating. You don't peel the foil all off at once, or some of the chocolate could fall on the floor (and be eaten by their dog). Once the chocolate was off, you unroll the cake, scrape out that nasty white stuff with your finger and flick it into (near ) the trash, then you savor the cake part.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:22 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Tastykakes. Jelly Krimpets or Creme-filled Cupcakes. The pies are also good, except for lemon. Ugh.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I stopped off at Winn Dixie at lunchtime and they had a display rack of Tastykake Sno(w)balls in St Patrick's Day green. Sale price was $1 for a 2 pack. Not bad although the cake was a little drier than I would have liked. I suppose that could be attributed to an expiration date of tomorrow. The marshmallow was as fresh as the day they were packaged, though. I guess that part has a 6 month shelf life.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
In college we had a drinking game. It involved Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. The idea was to eat a package in 60 seconds or less without drinking water. (Not easy to do!)
Losers had to take a shot of a vile concoction with several alcohol blends. By the end of the evening, things would get pretty nasty.
Good times...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Growing up, there was a rift in my family. My mother and I were primarily Drakes fans while my father and sister were on the other side of the fence, favoring Hostess.

Only later in life did I find Tastykake and Little Debbie. I'm fine with Tastykake. Any Little Debbie product I've tried has been vile. And over time, I learned to love some Hostess products.

Last week, I discovered an endcap of Drakes cakes which I hadn't seen in a good many years. I bought 2 boxes of Devil Dogs. Mrs BamaVol has been cursing me daily ever since and will until she has finished the last of them.

I still enjoy a Drakes Coffee Cake, HostessTwinkie, Sno Ball, Ho Ho, Ring Ding, Suzy Q, Yodel or Donette. I was never fan of the Hostess cupcake except the hard to find orange flavor. That hard frosting is what put me off.

Some of my favorites have bitten the dust: Tiger Tails (like a twinkie with jelly strips) and Yankee Doodles (crème filled yellow cupcakes sans frosting).

Anyone else take guilty pleasure in this junk?
Bama Pecan Pies were a favorite.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Bama Pecan Pies were a favorite.
Oh yeah, how could I forget. Haven't seen them in decades though.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Sadly, I find that Tastykakes are not what they used to be. They changed some time after the company was bought out about 5 years ago. And, no, it's not just because I'm older, because (I admit) I still ate them as an adult. I assert that at least Kandy Kakes and the various chocolate cupcake varieties--the delights of my Pennsylvania youth--have gone downhill.

I just say no to Hostess, except in moments of extreme duress.

If I ruled the world, Drake's would be available here on the west coast. Just thinking about them fills me with longing.

By the way, Tunnocks tea cakes make Pinwheels seem like a low-sugar snack.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Tastykake PB Kandykake is #1, but must be cold or frozen..

Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie is second.

Moon Pie is third.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Twinkies in the microwave.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
By the way, Tunnocks tea cakes make Pinwheels seem like a low-sugar snack.
It may seem that way, but...

Tunnocks teacake: 24g, 106kcal (4.4kcal/g), 14.9g carb (0.62g/g)
Nabisco pinwheel: 29g, 120kcal (4.1kcal/g), 20g carb (0.69g/g)

Still, give me a fresh, bakery-made Danish flødebolle any day.

Originally Posted by corky
Twinkies in the microwave.
Sounds painful.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
Tastykakes (chocolate juniors or koffee kake juniors) or Entenmann's (coffee cake or raspberry danish). Drake's coffee cake will also do in a pinch.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I don't know if it is the same nationally in the US, but Drake's are distributed by Little Debbie here in South Florida. Publix has a special this week on their items, but not all stores carry everything. I went in today and the only thing Drake's was their devil dogs, which are the less expensive than the special being offered.

Being I grew up on Entenmann's as my mom worked for them (in fact that is how I came to live in South Florida), I always enjoyed their Banana Crunch Cake and Cream filled Cakes. Now everything seems to be made in only a few bakeries around the country, not like the 70's and 80's where it was made locally (of course after the expansion of operations to Florida).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
I forgot about Entenmann's. Probably because I don't think they're sold in TX (or at least my part of DFW) anymore. Haven't seen Entenmann's in years. Their coffee cakes & the crumb doughnuts were awesome.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Independent
We have them all over the place here. I never really considered them part of the snack cake group, though. They are more full cakes and such.

For you New Englanders out there, Table Talk is making small pies again. Not well known outside the region, but I would definitely put them at or near the top.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:40 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.