FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Food(s) you will not eat for the life of you (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1800252-food-s-you-will-not-eat-life-you.html)

CNWO4LIFE Nov 7, 2016 11:30 pm

Cream of Wheat.

CNWO4LIFE Nov 7, 2016 11:31 pm

BTW, anyone here remember "potted" meat?:D

travelmad478 Nov 8, 2016 3:02 pm

Insects--haven't tried but probably wouldn't.

Everything else--fine. There are some things that I don't like the taste of (I will pick the radicchio and frisée out of salads, I don't care for brains, and once in Laos I had some chopped-up frogs in a soup that just tasted nasty), but generally, if you put it in front of me, I will eat it.

A lot of the things people on this thread purport to hate are foods that I actively seek out!

macdonaldj2 Nov 8, 2016 4:17 pm

1. Brussels sprouts roasted in the oven with bacon or salt/olive oil are magical, I understand having them as a kid boiled, they're probably nasty, but you should try them again.

2. Insects are probably in more items than you know of, chocolate for example. But a nice fried grasshopper tastes like a salted peanut.

The reason you don't eat some things are due to religious believes or allergic reactions I can understand. But if you've had something cooked like crap before, you should give it a try again just to see. Be outgoing with food.

Edit - I won't say no to anything, some of the most surprising foods I've eaten I've had objections to but enjoyed thoroughly after. Balut is a prime example, I knew what it was, rejected it 100%, but eventually gave in. If you like eggs, you'd like balut.

crabbing Nov 9, 2016 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Vaucluse (Post 27440969)
Oxtail Soup

i came to this thread to say exactly the same thing. my spouse eats it as "comfort food" but i find it inedible. horrible taste and texture.

miamiflyer8 Nov 9, 2016 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2 (Post 27455389)
1. Brussels sprouts roasted in the oven with bacon or salt/olive oil are magical, I understand having them as a kid boiled, they're probably nasty, but you should try them again.

2. Insects are probably in more items than you know of, chocolate for example. But a nice fried grasshopper tastes like a salted peanut.

The reason you don't eat some things are due to religious believes or allergic reactions I can understand. But if you've had something cooked like crap before, you should give it a try again just to see. Be outgoing with food.

Edit - I won't say no to anything, some of the most surprising foods I've eaten I've had objections to but enjoyed thoroughly after. Balut is a prime example, I knew what it was, rejected it 100%, but eventually gave in. If you like eggs, you'd like balut.

Brussel sprouts are also on my blacklist. I can't even stand the smell of them.

USA_flyer Nov 10, 2016 1:51 pm

I won't eat foi gras again. The taste is fine, I just find the way it is made objectionable.

I also won't eat offal, insects or anything pickled except Branston.

Brussel sprouts are fine if they're cooked properly. If you want to give them a try, use them in a bubble and squeak.

ritesa Nov 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Mushrooms. If I see or smell them in any dish whatsoever, I won't touch it.

TOMFORD Nov 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Anyone else hate blue cheese? It brings shame to the cheeses.

macdonaldj2 Nov 10, 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD (Post 27464908)

I dislike bad blue cheese, I remember when I was younger I tried port wine cheese and almost threw up, probably should try it again...

Jaimito Cartero Nov 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Soylent green.

CMK10 Nov 12, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm a texture eater and I can't stand things that feel cold and squishy so raw tomatoes are out, ditto avocado and especially sea urchin which to me had the consistency of wet sand and remains the one food I literally couldn't swallow. Also, beans.

FinalCallDXB Nov 13, 2016 12:24 pm

I can relate to the texture / sensation sentiment. There's very little I won't eat but whole cherry tomatoes are something that bother me. Cut them in half and I'm all good but the sensation of a whole one popping in your mouth is not for me.

mapleg Nov 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD (Post 27464908)

It is the King of Cheese to me.

How can one eat Buffalo Chicken Wings without blue cheese dressing? Impossible!

miamiflyer8 Nov 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 27474992)
It is the King of Cheese to me.

How can one eat Buffalo Chicken Wings without blue cheese dressing? Impossible!

I'm of the same opinion.