Wiki Posts
Search

Cicadas - yummy!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Cicadas - yummy!

The 17yr cicada invasion is just starting to wind down in the CLE area. I've had a chance to eat a few over the last couple of weeks. Done a couple soft shell crab recipies, tossed some with scrambled eggs and had some raw (live). The raw taste is a bit nutty with an overall flavor reminiscent of canned asparagus.

Had some friends over for a wine tasting and one brought a '99 burg. Nice pairing - two 17yr olds

High 'ick' factor due to the appearance. If you can get over that they are surprisingly tasty.

Anybody else give these a try?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
The 17yr cicada invasion is just starting to wind down in the CLE area. I've had a chance to eat a few over the last couple of weeks. Done a couple soft shell crab recipies, tossed some with scrambled eggs and had some raw (live). The raw taste is a bit nutty with an overall flavor reminiscent of canned asparagus.

Had some friends over for a wine tasting and one brought a '99 burg. Nice pairing - two 17yr olds

High 'ick' factor due to the appearance. If you can get over that they are surprisingly tasty.

Anybody else give these a try?
Not in a million years, let alone 17.

Why not go the next step and eat them live?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Not in a million years, let alone 17.

Why not go the next step and eat them live?
I did! Re-read first post. Can't get any more fresh
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I did! Re-read first post. Can't get any more fresh
Yep, I missed the parenthesis. I've never eaten anything still living that I can recall and don't plan to. I also like my bugs well pulverized and mixed into my familiar daily foods like peanut butter where I don't notice them.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

. . . I also like my bugs well pulverized and mixed into my familiar daily foods like peanut butter where I don't notice them.
^
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I also like my bugs well pulverized and mixed into my familiar daily foods like peanut butter where I don't notice them.
I like my bugs étoufée at Galatoire's.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I like my bugs étoufée at Galatoire's.
Should I get a chance to try these again - it shall be a Cicada étoufée.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:58 pm

Should I get a chance to try these again - it shall be a Cicada étoufée.
where in Cleveland are you seeing them? I saw your post last week and told my friends about it... they didn't see any. they are in Mayfield Heights, University Heights, Parma, and near Cleveland Clinic.... none reported seeing any cicadas yet.

I'm in Maryland... the last time the cicadas came out several years ago, it was quite a messy scene. I stayed indoors as much as I could. I remember going to the car wash every couple of days because the tires/wheels and wheelwells were covered in smashed cicadas.

thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
where in Cleveland are you seeing them? I saw your post last week and told my friends about it... they didn't see any. they are in Mayfield Heights, University Heights, Parma, and near Cleveland Clinic.... none reported seeing any cicadas yet.

I'm in Maryland... the last time the cicadas came out several years ago, it was quite a messy scene. I stayed indoors as much as I could. I remember going to the car wash every couple of days because the tires/wheels and wheelwells were covered in smashed cicadas.

thanks!
I found mine near Solon. Heaps along the I271 corridor south of I480. Unfortunately, they are done for the most part. Good resource for finding them: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/b...pring-of-2016/
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:32 pm

I found mine near Solon. Heaps along the I271 corridor south of I480. Unfortunately, they are done for the most part. Good resource for finding them: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/b...pring-of-2016/
the next swarm will be arriving in Cleveland in a couple of weeks.

their leader will have funny hair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.