Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chinese food in Canada (applies to the U.S. too)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese food in Canada (applies to the U.S. too)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I disdain Americanized Chinese food, but reckon that a place serving that stuff could see some success in Shanghai or Beijing.
We had an American style Chinese restaurant in Shanghai for over a year (Fortune Cookie), and it was pretty good, but the owners eventually threw in the towel. I'm guessing their exit had more to do with the location (4th floor in an area that didn't have an especially strong lunch crowd) than the appeal of the food.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Once upon a time I overheard a German (?) couple asking the waitress about this "General Tso's Chicken" as though perhaps they'd stumbled across something unusual.
I had lunch today at Number 1 Chinese restaurant, a place I frequent when I need comforting. My favorite order is the Bourbon Chicken lunch plate with pork fried rice and egg roll for $5.15.

What could be more Chinese-American than Bourbon Chicken?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Most Chinese food and many ethnic food in the US (but especially Chinese food) tend to be awful. Most immigrant restaurateurs come to the US to make money, not because they love to cook.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Most Chinese food and many ethnic food in the US (but especially Chinese food) tend to be awful. Most immigrant restaurateurs come to the US to make money, not because they love to cook.
But, is it actually awful, or does it just not meet your expectations of authenticity and therefor you don't care for it?

These dishes developed because that is what the greater proportion of their customers liked and ordered. I think that there is a tendency to automatically dismiss it because we want to "rise about" the uncultured masses and show our food knowledge. I wish people would just accept it for what it is - the melding of cultures - the American ideal, and maybe enjoy it not as authentic Chinese food but authentic Chinese-American food.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
But, is it actually awful, or does it just not meet your expectations of authenticity and therefor you don't care for it?
You didn't ask me, but my reading of his comment was low quality, uninspired food that leaves me with a stomach ache. Authenticity is an entirely different beast, and rest assured that lots of authentic Chinese food is far worse than Panda Express in terms of quality.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
A little story to tell. I used to live by a high altitude lake 2 decades ago. A gentleman who was a cook at a local Chinese restaurant was killed in a car crash and there was a fund raiser to repatriate his remains. It was reported that his profession in China was a carpenter.

One other story as far as adapting food to local conditions. The Chinese in Belize have, naturally, no rice flour rolls to make spring rolls with. Substitute was... whole-grain tacos.....
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cloudship

These dishes developed because that is what the greater proportion of their customers liked and ordered. I think that there is a tendency to automatically dismiss it because we want to "rise about" the uncultured masses and show our food knowledge. I wish people would just accept it for what it is - the melding of cultures - the American ideal, and maybe enjoy it not as authentic Chinese food but authentic Chinese-American food.
By "awful" I really meant "awful"; I did not mean "inauthentic". Furthermore, when I said most Chinese food in the US are "awful", I really meant most of them are awful; I did not mean to rise up and pontificate my food knowledge. I know what food tastes good, and I know what food tastes authentic. I understand that taste and authenticity don't always come together, and that's fine, but if neither comes at all, you have something awful.

I think quality products come from those who are passionate about their craft. "Because it pays my bills in a new country where it's hard to get other jobs" is not passion.

Originally Posted by moondog
You didn't ask me, but my reading of his comment was low quality, uninspired food that leaves me with a stomach ache. Authenticity is an entirely different beast, and rest assured that lots of authentic Chinese food is far worse than Panda Express in terms of quality.
You've been going to Nanning too much
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I take it for what it is. I'm not expecting passionately made sesame chicken. There is a lot of awful Chinese food prepared and sold here. I tried a place close to the house recently for a takeout dinner. I sat waiting while customer after customer came in and ordered enthusiastically. These were clearly regulars. I took mine home and couldn't finish it. It was bland, too sweet and sticky. But something brought all those other people back and it probably wasn't the glop I ordered. I think you almost have to test it dish by dish. I frequent a few places where I know what to order. Deviate from a short list and you will be disappointed but order from the short list and you will be satisfied. If I can enjoy the rice and egg rolls somewhere, I will patiently try a few items from the menu to discover the best. If they can't make a palatable egg roll and decent fried rice, I figure there's no reason to return.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
The New York Times Frugal Traveler recently went to the Toronto suburbs in search of good Chinese food:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/09/tr...food.html?_r=0
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
The New York Times Frugal Traveler recently went to the Toronto suburbs in search of good Chinese food:
Make that "good AUTHENTIC..." Toronto and Vancouver have the critical mass for that. Not so much in the rest of the country (including where I am right now, the greater YLW area).
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:43 am

You've been going to Nanning too much
This statement is kind of apt, and is a large part of the reason that Nanning lacks fat people.

But, when I mentioned that authentic can suck, my mind was more than along the lines of 成都小吃. Sure, its kungpao chicken qualifies as "authentic", and it still costs y12, but your stomach will inevitably be pissed off at your brain after you indulge.

@bamavol: there happens to be a Number 1 Chinese franchise near my place here in Florida, and I am planning on trying out the Bourbon Chicken lunch before leaving town.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@bamavol: there happens to be a Number 1 Chinese franchise near my place here in Florida, and I am planning on trying out the Bourbon Chicken lunch before leaving town.
I often wonder why I have encountered so many Number 1 Chinese restaurants around the country but never a Number 2. Must be an unlucky number.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

This statement is kind of apt, and is a large part of the reason that Nanning lacks fat people.

But, when I mentioned that authentic can suck, my mind was more than along the lines of 成都小吃. Sure, its kungpao chicken qualifies as "authentic", and it still costs y12, but your stomach will inevitably be pissed off at your brain after you indulge.

I like 成都小吃, albeit a lot of them taste the same... I don't like those Asian royalty dishes like sea cucumber, shark fin, bird's nest, 高汤, etc.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Do you all know why there is "egg rolls"?

Due to lack of ingredients for spring roll a sheet made with egg was used to wrap the filling back in the early 20th century in North American Chinese diners.

Lo Mein is older than the USofA.

The only item that is an American "invention" is "chop suey", look up what the two Chinese character in that name's original meaning.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Make that "good AUTHENTIC..." Toronto and Vancouver have the critical mass for that. Not so much in the rest of the country (including where I am right now, the greater YLW area).
This, the best dimsum outside of HKG I ever had is in Vancouver.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I often wonder why I have encountered so many Number 1 Chinese restaurants around the country but never a Number 2. Must be an unlucky number.
and any combination of -----wok

Fast wok
Happy wok
Delicious wok

LOL

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.