A Michelin starred restaurant with kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Michelin starred restaurant with kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

IMO the kind of parent that is worried about 'will my child disturb others' is never the kind of parent/child that causes a problem.
That's pretty much the crux of the whole issue.

We haven't been to a starred restaurant with our kids, but have been to plenty of very nice restaurants with them. On our first trip to France with them, when they were 6 and 8, we got used to the routine: upon entering the restaurant, we'd get "the look" (Oh God. Not only are they Americans, but they have kids!??). Within about 20 minutes, both kids had the waitstaff in the palms of their hands and were treated like royalty.

I wouldn't hesitate to take your kids to Ramsay's restaurant. They'll have a great time.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
We lived in Europe and traveled extensively with our kids when they were the same age.

We often got annoyed looks when we walked in to some restaurants, but when people saw they were well behaved things calmed down. Even had some people complement us on their behavior.

Fact is a few children who cannot behave ruin it for the others. No different than most things in life.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everyone for your advice. Reservation to Ramsay has been confirmed for lunch.

We know that they have a different executive chef now. Kids actually mentioned that they think everyone is happier that Gordon does not yell at the staff anymore
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Slipless
Thanks everyone for your advice. Reservation to Ramsay has been confirmed for lunch.

We know that they have a different executive chef now. Kids actually mentioned that they think everyone is happier that Gordon does not yell at the staff anymore
Excellent! I am a huge supporter of world experieces-of all kinds for children. I have two step children, so I didn't get to do this until I had grandchildren. And I am glad we do. I find that the mistake is when I place limitations on their abilities. Frankly, we usually just have the ability to stop something if it is overwhelming. So far, they have a perfect record. The kids enjoy all of them. They are exposed to things that really broaden their horizons and world view.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:16 pm

Jamie Oliver offers used to offer cooking courses - but recently closed. If they are into it there are many other options in London that are fun for the kids.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:28 pm

I remember decades ago when I was a pre-teen and I was taken to a some sort of fancy Michelin* French restaurant. At that time, I didn't understand the 'dining' vs. eating concept, but I trudged along and behaved. Years later, I appreciate that my folks took me at a young age and it opened my eyes to lots of things.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:34 am

Excellent. I hope that you will respond back later and tell us how it went.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

We were at Gordon Ramsay last week with our 10 year old daughter. She has been to various fine dining restaurant her whole life, and even though she was the youngest person there we didn't feel out of place at all. At another table there was a young man, about 14-15 if I were to guess.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:38 am

Great idea! Would love to read about your experience there!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Originally Posted by milepig
In my experiences, the better the restaurant the more likely you'll find children treated like Kings and Queens.
You beat me to it! That's definitely our experience with our, now, four year old.

Quite often, he's removed from our table by the waiting staff.... not for bad behaviour but to go visit the chefs :-)

I was going to recommend to the OP Koffman's at The Berkeley if Ramsay's wasn't possible. For the benefit of future readers, Koffmans provided us a wonderful experience - not too stuffy a setting, great food and perfect service for adults and children (and yes he did go to the kitchen!).

Adey
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
When my son was around 10 (1984) I had to work in Barcelona from time to time. I decided to take some holidays in the South of France with wife and kid, so we drove down to Barcelona iso flying.

I fancied Reno, recommended by the company management during my visits and near the hotel where I stayed. Thus brought the family there.
My son was a brat and we were a bit scared how he would behave in that restaurant (which opens after 22h like many places in Barcelona)

That was the most perfect meal we had with the son in his younger years, he simply was top and did enjoy all the food there, he sat perfectly and calmly in his chair, all dressed up, did not run around the place, wow!

He still remembers Reno today.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i notice that on one's children cause a disturbance.

i am a grumpy old man, and i get disturbed by a couple kids playing ring a round the rosie and just having a great game, while i am trying to eat a 2* meal. mommy and daddy see nothing.

dogs are good kids are lousy. your kids are great, woopie,
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For a less formal Gordon Ramsay experience in London, I recommend The Narrow (newish restaurant and bar) in the eastern part along the water with interesting views. It has a glassed in room looking toward the water as well as an outdoor deck. Fish and seafood are emphasized but there's a varied menu. When I was there, a number of the staff, some of whom came from his other restaurants, were talking about Gordon Ramsay being very involved when they first opened; they all seemed to have met him, even the bus persons. It's a nicer setting in the summer and one would ideally arrive in daylight and enjoy the sunset there. The building has the feel of a traditional summer house along the beach.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA, HA
This thread is balm for soul. Good to hear of so many parents with civilized kids. Prost!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hoch
By all means do take your children. Our son, now four years old, has been to Michelin starred restaurants since the age of six months (basically when he started weaning). I can still remember the stares when he was a baby, but we took the view that he should get used to all sorts of environments and he was always well behaved.

H
At 6 months, you have no idea of whether or not your child is going to be well behaved. There's reasons why you got stares and they were valid. You're going to a Michelin starred restaurant then you can, and I'll put this nicely, afford a sitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.