Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Starbucks Rewards in other countries?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 16, 15, 1:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
"Starbucks Cards are accepted at most Starbucks locations in North America, including airport and grocery locations. Starbucks Cards can also be used interchangeably at most stores in Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.

Starbucks Cards issued in Greece, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey may only be used in the country from which they are issued."
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 15, 15, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*

I made several Starbucks stops while in London recently and got to wondering...

Of course I can't use my US based rewards card in the UK, but could I have bought a card there, registered it online, and earned stars while overseas?

Has anyone else tried this? Does it work?
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:21 am

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Actually, you absolutely can use your US-based rewards card in the UK, I did it when I was in the UK earlier this year. France too. I didn't try it in Italy because even their rest stop coffee is frankly amazing, but the only place it didn't work was in Germany.
Old Nov 15, 15, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS/2MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

How competitive were the FX rates?
Old Nov 15, 15, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

That's good you can use it there. In Canada for sure, but didn't realize a US-based card can be used in EU.

I know the couple of places I've inquired in Asia it doesn't work. India for sure (It's Tata Starbucks there - joint venture with Tata due to ownership rules). Also in Indonesia they said it wouldn't work, but I didn't really try since I only had my digital card with me and they don't have the readers for it. I also tried to register cards from both in my US account, but it wouldn't work, so would also be surprised if they would take the US card.
Old Nov 15, 15, 1:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bristoldave View Post
Actually, you absolutely can use your US-based rewards card in the UK, I did it when I was in the UK earlier this year. France too. I didn't try it in Italy because even their rest stop coffee is frankly amazing, but the only place it didn't work was in Germany.
Agree - I've redeemed rewards in the USA on my UK card.

Originally Posted by actonma View Post
How competitive were the FX rates?
The rates are perfect - interbank. One FT'er I think has posted that s/he uses up small change by topping up their card.
Old Nov 15, 15, 3:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
I live in the UK (always have) but "joined" starbucks rewards back in 2005 whilst in the US ... and use the card here always no problems. Some of the offers - ie the free breakfast don't work but the free coffees do - also the US card is better than the UK as think it is only 30? stars for Gold whereas UK (unless changed) is 50 also 10 instead of 15 stars for free beverage.
One thing I also find the card useful - if I am travelling to a country I am unlikely to return to I just find a starbucks and load my card with the loose change/currency.
Old Nov 15, 15, 8:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Can't use US based cards in Korea either. Even US military bases don't accept them since they're run by Shinsegae owned Starbucks Korea.
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Take a look at this from the starbucks site...

http://customerservice.starbucks.com...tail/a_id/2010
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Starbucks Cards are accepted at most Starbucks locations in North America, including airport and grocery locations. Starbucks Cards can also be used interchangeably at most stores in Australia, Hong Kong, Ireland, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
Wish there could be true world usage for Starbucks cards.
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I've used my US starbucks card in the UK without issue. If the store accepted starbucks cards, mine worked(I recalled some starbucks on some highway reststops in the UK did not accept starbucks cards period).
Old Nov 16, 15, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
You get rewarded for drinking Starbucks?

Old Nov 16, 15, 8:30 am
Original Poster

A couple years ago I contacted Starbucks about using my card in Ireland, and the CSR told me it would not work in other countries.

Thanks for the info. I will just have to load some extra dollars on the card before my next trip overseas!
Old Nov 16, 15, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by IslesFan View Post
Take a look at this from the starbucks site...

http://customerservice.starbucks.com...tail/a_id/2010
Thanks for the link. I copied the information in it & created a wiki.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 16, 15, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

I just had to laugh at the first sentence in that link. Since when is Mexico not part of North America?
Old Nov 16, 15, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW View Post
A couple years ago I contacted Starbucks about using my card in Ireland, and the CSR told me it would not work in other countries.

Thanks for the info. I will just have to load some extra dollars on the card before my next trip overseas!
Has anyone run in to a store in any of the countries that a US Starbucks card works at where they did not accept the starbucks app and you needed a physical card?

Originally Posted by DavidDTW View Post
I just had to laugh at the first sentence in that link. Since when is Mexico not part of North America?
I was thinking the same thing

Search this Thread