Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Be careful, the plate is hot." But why?? And why SO hot??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Be careful, the plate is hot." But why?? And why SO hot??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Restaurants, typically big or low end ones have heat lamps. It keeps the food warm while they're waiting for it to be picked up. It does have the unfortunate effect of drying the stuff out and cooking the meat while it's waiting there. Not a big deal for 'mexican' food since its all mostly mush anyways.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
My grandparents (Scottish, like me) were obsessed with having hot plates. They had (opaque) Pyrex plates, which lived in the lower oven, and every meal, these plates were treated like the inverse of an ice cream in the desert - if you weren't served food on a plate hot enough to scorch a tablecloth, it was an embarrassment.

I do like that it keeps food hot (obviously, not great for salad) but the problem was it kept cooking the food on it. So if you're having a leisurely meal over plenty chatter, you end up with burnt food welded to the place.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:00 am

i always thought that restaurants serve dishes on hot plates to create the illusion that the dish was just cooked, when in reality it may have been sitting under heat lamps until all of the dishes for the table are ready.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My parents prefer food on warm plates, my mother would pop them into the oven for the last couple of minutes of food prep time. If the oven wasn't on (say, we were having Indian food takeaway) she would put the oven on low to warm the plates before she went out to pick up the food!

I have a warming drawer on my over for the same reason, but frankly it just stores my baking trays and cake pans!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
My parents prefer food on warm plates,
As do I! Food is better warm, so anything that keeps it warmer longer is better.
Keyword is warm, not HOT!!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
I too have had hot plates in many different types of restaurants, not just Mexican.

I also love them! I'm a slow eater and a hot plate keeps my food warm longer.
Hot food on a cold plate....yuck!
Oh and I warm the plates at home as well.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:03 am

I have been in Mexican restaurants where the food arrives at
the table sizzling and everyone turns their head to see what
the ruckus is about.

I have also been in restaurants where they flambe tableside.

In those situations I know enough to keep my fingers off the
plate and out of the fire and be careful with the food so I do
not burn myself.

Understandable it is not everyone's cup of tea.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by pilotalan
In a higher-end steakhouse, they will often heat the plates to keep the steak nice and warm.
We were told once at Peter Luger's that those of us who didn't want our steak medium rare (which is what we ordered) that we could use the plate to continue cooking the meat.

None of us tried.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA
I'm fine with steaks and fajita ingredients on sizzling hot plates. Anything else that comes on a plate too hot to touch, as opposed to just a warm plate, has been heat-lamp heated, I suspect, and turns me off. I'm also opposed to hot food on cold plates (I don't mind hot food on r00m-temperature plates; that's how we eat at home; I mean hot food on truly cold plates) and cold food (e.g., salads) on hot plates.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
There's also a number of Chinese dishes that needs to be served on piping hot skillet. Like bean curd with egg, whereby the egg is cracked over it just be for being sent out of the kitchen. Russian shashlik is also often served on a hot plate.

So I guess it depends on the food you are having, and how the chef believes it should be served/plated.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Yesterday I was eating at a bouchon in Lyon, and I was served on a hot plate that just came out of the oven. Had the same many times in portugal for dishes that were baked.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't think the waitstaff have anything to do with plating the food.
But they do need to pick things up from the kitchen promptly.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by cubbie
Anything else that comes on a plate too hot to touch, as opposed to just a warm plate, has been heat-lamp heated, I suspect, and turns me off.
It's not due to a heat lamp. The early posters were correct - at Mexican places they finish the dish by adding the sauce and cheese and then blasting it in the salamander.

Heat lamps only keep food at safe temperatures, somewhere in the neighborhood of 140F, which is not insanely hot to the touch like the OP is referring to.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:13 am

I want my food hot and cooling on MY time! A hint that the plate is hot could be the towel or hot sleeve the server is using to prevent burns. DOH! When I make pasta dishes, I use some of the boiling water to heat the bowls before serving. If you don't like a hot plate, don't go to Mexican restaurants (or ask them not serve it w/cold cheese, beans, etc) Most use a salamander.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by arlflyer
It's not due to a heat lamp. The early posters were correct - at Mexican places they finish the dish by adding the sauce and cheese and then blasting it in the salamander.

Heat lamps only keep food at safe temperatures, somewhere in the neighborhood of 140F, which is not insanely hot to the touch like the OP is referring to.
Right, sorry, I didn't necessarily mean heat lamp heated, I meant to include salamander-blasted. Which I don't necessarily mind if the food has been recently plated and then blasted for last-minute heat. What I mind is food that's been plated for quite a while and reheated to make it seem freshly plated, sometimes drying it out in the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.