Reload this Page >

Food Trends On Their Way Out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food Trends On Their Way Out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I admit to liking both truffle oil and Krispy Kreme, although not together. If you've ever had a Dunkin Donut doughnut, then you truly know what a bad doughnut tastes like. Krispy Kreme is a million times better.

Food trends that I don't care for:
- Salad dressing on the side. I would like my salad dressed, unless I request dressing on the side. If you cannot correctly dress a salad, then what I am to think of the rest of your food?

- Crafty cocktails. They seem fun at first, but they are not something that the average person could recreate at home, or order again at your local bar. Plus, they are expensive, and I'm not always convinced that they contain any alcohol.

- Junk food made healthy. There's a lot of recipes for things like healthy cookie dough on Pinterest. I don't understand this. It's still additional calories, so it's not going to help with weight loss, so why not eat a little real cookie dough in moderation?

See: http://www.pinterest.com/explore/healthy-cookie-dough/

Erin
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Not contemporary enough. Try sandwiching a burger in wonuts.
Good idea--there's the added benefit that the depressions will be better for condiment retention.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks

- Junk food made healthy. There's a lot of recipes for things like healthy cookie dough on Pinterest. I don't understand this. It's still additional calories, so it's not going to help with weight loss, so why not eat a little real cookie dough in moderation?

Erin
In a similar vein, I recall being confused at seeing a Baby Ruth wrapper declare "5g protein!"...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
In a similar vein, I recall being confused at seeing a Baby Ruth wrapper declare "5g protein!"...
That's nuts.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I also like food items promoted for their ability to "keep you full." I've seen this tactic used to sell Snickers, breakfast cereal, various fast food value meals, etc. My mental rejoinder is always "yes, so would eating a shoe."
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

See: http://www.pinterest.com/explore/healthy-cookie-dough/

Erin
^ If I'm going to bother with the extra calories for a treat, I may as well go all the way and make it worthwhile! I recall my wife got the book "What to Expect When You're Expecting" when she was pregnant with our daughter years ago. It had some advance planning for baby's first birthday, including no-sugar-added carrot cake! Good heavens, your kid's first birthday only comes once, I'm pretty sure one piece of regular cake won't kill anyone!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Of course, that assumes you like things to be sweet. I rather enjoy dry soft drinks (when you can actually find them) and less sweet biscuits, etc. One of my favourite sets of chocolates is the Hotel Chocolat reduced sugar range (and that's reduced sugar as in unsweetened, not as in replaced by something artificial).

One thing that is incredibly popular in the UK right now that I just don't get it Red Velvet Cake, which appears to be chocolate cake with a shedload of food dye poured in (isn't red food die the stuff made from cochineal?) Why on earth would I want to eat that over a normal chocolate cake?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:49 am

Smile Kale, the other vegetable

I actually like all the things people mentioned, but my husband had heard kale salad so much, that he ordered one. Two bites, his eyes got big and he ran to the bathroom. You could hear him all over the restaurant. When he got back to the table and just said. "That stuff is vile." I laughed for two days!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:04 am

I still come across Krispy Kreme boxes once in a while at East Asian airports. In this US, definitely don't hear about 'em anymore.
The KK store here does a great business. I've been enjoying them for over 50 years.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:04 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bigruby
The KK store here does a great business. I've been enjoying them for over 50 years.
Wow, can't remember writing the second sentence at all. Are you in the southeastern US?

In NY, I don't hear about them, and when I lived in DC, they were all the rage for about a year.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:13 pm

I admit to liking both truffle oil and Krispy Kreme, although not together. If you've ever had a Dunkin Donut doughnut, then you truly know what a bad doughnut tastes like. Krispy Kreme is a million times better.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/di...pagewanted=all
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by Pinned
I'm tired of IPAs and all this craft brew nonsense - who cares how hoppy your beer is? Chances are the answer is that it's way too hoppy and bitter to be worth drinking.
I take objection to that. There is no better beer than true small batch craft beer. Especially in places like German brew pubs that have been in business for a few centuries. And in North America, while not as good as the German brew pubs, the only drinkable beer comes out of smaller breweries, "craft brew" if you like.

I care not only about the right amount of hops, but even the kind of hops used. Makes all the difference.

The industrial swill produced by Anheuser-Busch and their ilk should not even be called beer!

My favorite food trend deserving to go out of fashion: Artificially flavored cider...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
"A TRUFFLE by any other name may smell as sweet, but what if that name is 2,4-dithiapentane? All across the country, in restaurants great and small, the “truffle” flavor advertised on menus is increasingly being supplied by truffle oil. What those menus don’t say is that, unlike real truffles, the aroma of truffle oil is not born in the earth."

Yuck. I had no idea. Adding truffle oil to my list of food trends I would like to see disappear.

Erin
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I find a lot of food in America skews toward too sweet or too greasy for me. I like the '40% less fat' potato chips from Cape Cod not because they're somehow supposed to be better for me, but because they don't seem slimy like traditional chips do, while not being as flavorless as entirely baked chips.

Same goes for sweets- so many American types make me feel like I'm just swallowing corn syrup or powdered sugar, and as long as they aren't substituting an even freakier artificial sweetener, it's like the 'healthy' version is dialing it down to what's a pleasant taste level for me.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Virgin Atlantic, ANA, Eurostar
I don't think bubble teas are on their way out at all... they're so popular in Asia as well as here in the UK, more and more are springing up!

As for donuts, I find Krispy Kreme way too sweet, it seems to be especially sweetened up to suit the tastes of Americans and the local Brits here.

Personally I prefer the less-sweet donuts found in Asia like Mr Donut and J.Co Donuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.