Reload this Page >

New Amsterdam Gin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amsterdam Gin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:45 pm

Prefered choices are Hendricks or Ungava which is a gin distilled with canadian arctic plants and berries.

But give me a G&T with bombay and i'll be happy as well!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Monkey 47 is a favorite, but haven't seen it for sale in the US.
I haven't seen it for sale yet, but there is hope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDEQURYm6AU
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by cubbie
If I'm not mistaken, New Amsterdam gin is made without juniper, which is what makes it seem unusual to many gin fans, and its citrus note comes from oranges. I tried it and thought it was okay, but different; not what I want for gin and tonic.
Thanks for that information - it makes sense and I agree.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:45 am

BOLS Genever gin is my favourite and it has to be Fever Tree Tonic. Hard to find so Bombay is my next choice. Sip smiths is quite good as well.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Camarones
I haven't seen it for sale yet, but there is hope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDEQURYm6AU
Thanks for the link. It will be great to have the Monkey as an option here in the states.

Originally Posted by twincheeks
BOLS Genever gin is my favourite and it has to be Fever Tree Tonic. Hard to find so Bombay is my next choice. Sip smiths is quite good as well.
I haven't had BOLS, so I will keep an eye out for it. I do like Fever Tree tonic very much. The Fentiman's tonic I had at the LH FCT was nice, but a bit more aggressive tasting then Fever Tree. Nice for a change, and a huge step up from Schweppes...but I think Fever Tree is still my favorite.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by twincheeks
"Genever" and "Holland" gins tend to be over-loaded with aromatics for most US tastes, including mine. Additionally, some/many of them have been "sugared" to noticeable sweetness.

As noted up thread, I'm not convinced that "New Amsterdam" is totally without juniper, but it does seem loaded with other aromatics, certainly heavy on citrus, likely some type of orange peel.

Bad/inferior tonic has ruined more G&Ts than has gin, and it's a drink for which I need a lime segment, either "Persian" or preferably "Key".
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I happen to like New Amsterdam. I tried it about a year ago and immediately made it my standard house gin, replacing Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire. I drink it primarily in G+Ts. I don't mind its sweet character there, and its citrus flavor means I don't need to add a twist of lime. I occasionally drink it straight, too. It's great for the price.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Monkey 47 is a favorite, but haven't seen it for sale in the US. A special treat when I get to visit the LH First Class Lounges.
Originally Posted by Camarones
It has been found. Monkey 47 located at Party Source in Newport, KY (near Cincinnati). A relative is grabbing a bottle for me, so I will have in my hands shortly. They sent a photo so I know it is real...

^
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like New Amsterdam with tonic; the citrusy notes in the gin go well with the tonic (and the lime - hello?).

In martinis, I always do Plymouth. It's less juniper-y and I really, really like it. It's a Plymouth-style gin as opposed to the London Dry gins that are more common 'round these parts.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Has anyone tried Bombay Sapphire East? I find it interesting, slightly more aromatic than the regular Sapphire with the extra lemongrass and peppercorn notes.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by roastpuff
Has anyone tried Bombay Sapphire East? I find it interesting, slightly more aromatic than the regular Sapphire with the extra lemongrass and peppercorn notes.
Wow -no I have not - I must do
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
I typically have the regular suspects already named: Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks, Tanquery 10. I have tried the Sapphire East...pretty good as well.

I recently got a bottle of Bulldog with high expectations, but it was just so-so.

Monkey 47 is a favorite, but haven't seen it for sale in the US. A special treat when I get to visit the LH First Class Lounges.

For Gin & Tonic, I am more focused on the tonic water instead of the gin. Makes a huge difference in the drink. There are several high-end tonics that have appeared on the shelves. The LH FCL/T have stepped up with a better tonic. Make sure to ask for it instead of the Schweppes.
Although the Monkey 47 seems to have the right export strength, I'm more prone to buy some of Fentimans Tonic. Sounds like my taste. ^

http://www.fentimans.com/cocktail_mixers
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly, for a G&T the tonic is much more important to the taste then the various gin options.

Fentiman's was pretty good and worth a taste if available.

If you are looking for a better tonic "closer-to-home", Fever Tree is becoming widely available and is a big step up from Schweppes/Canada Dry.

http://www.fever-tree.com/us/our-drinks
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love Fever Tree. Q Tonic is also quite good (I'd say it's very similar to Fever Tree).
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Recently had the opportunity to enjoy a couple of G&T's using Fever-Tree Indian Tonic Water, Very tasteful !
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.