Wiki Posts
Search

Why we have to order drinks by brand name now

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:42 am

"If you don't specify a brand, you get the well."

Not if you leave yourself open:
"whatever you like" or "whatever your favorite is"

Seems like that's asking for a more expensive drink!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy

I can't imagine how expensive sylvia hennesy's pour is
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Several levels on my take on this:
1) As others have noted, there can be a distinct difference in the tastes of certain alcohols, just like food. Although I might agree with the OP about the taste of many gins, there is no doubt that Hendricks has a distinct taste from other gins that some like and some do not. This fact is clearly more pronounced with wine (a "white" or a "red" can literally run the gamut from dry to sweet), and I think even more so with whisky ("whatever" in whisky can get you a smooth Glenlivet or a peaty Laphroaig). The less a drink is mixed, the more this principle applies--for my occasional rum and coke, any rum will do.
2) There are many more choices in alcohol than in food, but if you just ordered "steak," the server might be justified in wanting to know whether you want the filet mignon or the hanger, or if "fish," the tuna or the flounder. If you think this way, specifying a brand of alcohol doesn't seem so pretentious but more a way of getting exactly what you want when you're out eating and drinking. I try to keep in mind that even a well-stocked bar might not have the choice I want so I generally have two or three options in mind when I order--can't make my Manhattan with Rittenhouse Rye? Well, then Maker's Mark or Woodford works for me.
3) Of course, we know restaurants and bars have gone down this road partially because it's a huge profit center for them. This is true of all alcohol, however. The brands cost more than the well versions, thus increasing your overall check total. On the other hand, several friends who are restaurant owners have confirmed that there is a higher profit margin for their restaurants on "well" drinks (thus explaining why most happy hour drink specials specify well liquor only).
For me, a preference for brands doesn't necessarily define a personality; being a fanboy for brands, by passionately defending that brand against all others no matter the logic, does.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I always specify what scotch I want. The only time I don't specify a brand at a non-airline club bar is when I'm ordering a shot and a beer and that's only when I want to get drunk.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Although I might agree with the OP about the taste of many gins, there is no doubt that Hendricks has a distinct taste from other gins that some like and some do not.

Well, then Maker's Mark or Woodford works for me.
^
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:41 pm

Simple: Beefeater Martini Up With a Twist.

Years ago I used to make restaurant reservations under the name of Tanker Ray.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

here in dc, we have MIXOLOGISTS?? i may not have spelled bartender correctly. these people are "famous"!!!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Hey I love Hendricks! Some in my drinks cabinet right now. Get in ma belly!!!

But seriously, is it true or not that in our parents' time no one ordered by brand? I believe it is but I don't have any old people handy at the moment to ask.

Also... I love old flicks where everyone has a drink in hand. Someone comes over to your house or apt and your first remark is "what are you having?"

Pace any alcoholics.... prob should avoid my threads...

Saw an old movie where one guy was wheeling a drinks cart from room to room as he went around the house

I thought....wow I really need to get me one of those
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My dad only drank Tanqueray and tonic so definitely not a new thing. Still have bad memories related to those green bottles.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:16 am

China Clipper, those old movies and tv shows may have fueled the (in my opinion, false) belief that people "back then" ordered liquor by type, not by brand, because of product placement rules. i don't think that happens in real life. well, maybe it does at korean bars, where they only serve one thing (e.g., crown royal).

my preference is for whiskey, especially those distilled in scotland, and there is so much variation by brand that it's impossible to order without specifying the brand and age.

but it annoys me when i go to a bar and they often ask me if i want my drink on rocks. no, i don't want my drink served on stones. but i would like ice, thank you.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by crabbing
but it annoys me when i go to a bar and they often ask me if i want my drink on rocks. no, i don't want my drink served on stones. but i would like ice, thank you.
That's just picky. When I ask for a cocktail I clearly don't mean it in the original sense of the term where it would have been served with a cock's tail feather garnish.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:50 am

Most of the posts here are incorrect. The reason why is typically as follows.

It's an easy upsell. A gin and tonic might be $7. Top shelf gin and tonic $14. That question just earned the bartender an extra dollar and the bar itself five. The more aggressive bars will do a suggestive sell like, "How about Bombay Sapphire?"

The bartender who asks the question on a busy shift might make a lot more and the bar owner will be happier.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by China Clipper
But seriously, is it true or not that in our parents' time no one ordered by brand? I believe it is but I don't have any old people handy at the moment to ask.
Probably it was less pronounced because there were fewer brands available (that's just a guess). I mean, the super premium vodka category was invented by Absolut in the 1980s. Before then, I don't think there were many Western vodka brands.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy

This. Allowing the waitress to choose is a crapshoot. If you don't care about brand, just say "well" or "house".

I absolutely agree that my parents and grandparents ordered drinks by their generic ingredient names. Prohibition ended in 1933. Premium branding and marketing of (non-whisky) liquors really took off in the 1980s. In between, there was a time when hostesses poured their liquor into crystal decanters labeled "gin", "vodka" and "scotch" and held cocktail parties.

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/alcohol-ads-1950s

Last edited by janetdoe; Jul 14, 2014 at 2:18 am
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
To my taste, there's more difference in the tonic than the gin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.